Paris is loose

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: RadioHead84
I know jail must suck but 45 days is hardly the end of your life. She gets her own room...I would get a lot of reading done :)

yeah but you know how to read. she has people to read for her!

RedBeard

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2000
This is what MSNBC reported about the sheriff:

The sheriff later defended his decision, citing jail crowding (although Hilton was in special unit and did not have a cellmate) and what he termed ?severe medical problems.?

I am sorry but if that doesn't smell like BS, I don't know what does.

?severe medical problems??
Yeah, like mommy's bank account was hemmoraging money. He had to let her go!

"citing jail crowding"
Maybe Robert Downey Jr. wanted his old cell back?

Slikkster

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Linflas
Originally posted by: Slikkster
I love you ignorant dolts who say "oh, it's jail, it's not prison". Why don't you try jail for a night or two, yourselves. I would bet the overwhelming majority of you kiddies and would be crying to your mommy, too. But wait, you didn't do anything to go to jail for, right? I mean, stealing that music online and all that warez...hey, everybody does that, right? Nothing like hypocrisy.

I also love the people who argue "she dissed the judge" nonsense. Hey, whatever happened to "dispassionate" justice? Look up the word "dispassionate". Quite frankly, whether a judge is pissed off or not, it should have no bearing on a sentence. Judges are supposed to keep their own emotions OUT of sentencing, period. Of course, they violate their own ethical standards when they don't, but no one seems to care about that.

This judge had all kinds of options to teach Paris a lesson I agree she needed. No celebrity should get special treatment in the eyes of the law. However, no celebrity should get "Let's teach them all a lesson" treatment, either. What's fair is fair. She could have been sentenced to do a great deal of community service of a humiliating kind. The press would have been there to document it all (unlike regular Joes, who could do their dirty community service without fear of appearing on Page Six.)

The final point that makes my argument completely comes from the Sheriff himself, who knows better than anyone involved --the judge, the press, anyone commenting, etc.-- what kinds of sentences are meted out and how they are carried out in LA County. Here are his words:

[Baca said] Friday that Hilton had been ordered to spend an unusually long time behind bars. Under his department's early- release program, Hilton would not have served any time in jail, Baca said. "The special treatment, in a sense, appears to be because of her celebrity status," he said. "She got more time in jail."

Case closed.

If it would have been some non-celebrity middle class person the judge would have likely slapped them with a significant fine and extended the probation period. Take away the cash equivalent to a month or two's mortgage payment is a pretty good wakeup call for the average joe. The only siginificant thing the justice system can do that is equal to that for someone like Paris Hilton is to take away their lifestyle for a period of time. The fines he could have imposed are pocket change to someone like her. So yes she is being treated somewhat differently than the average citizen in this matter and I don't think it is at all out of line.

Sorry dude, but that doesn't wash. Case in point: Let's say I get a traffic ticket and am fined $250. Now, let's say Bill Gates gets a traffic ticket --same one--same offense. Are you trying to say he should get his car impounded and license revoked because of our income inequities? Come on, man. Equal justice under the law.

If LA County's early release program --cited by Sheriff Baca, who uses it every day-- would have meant she shouldn't have even spent ONE DAY in jail, why should she be treated any differently than anyone else? You people who argue otherwise are just playing the reverse-classism card.

If people were honest here (*gulp*, honesty, what a concept!), they would admit that they're just envious that she's a child of privilege who doesn't need to work, and simply goes to parties and gets press attention. No one honestly cares about her disregarding the law. As I mentioned in my first post, there are no-doubt thousands of people who subscribe to this forums site alone who flout copyright law all the time and think nothing of it. You know, bittorrent, limewire, mp3 downloads, movie copying, software stealing, etc. Anyone see that face looking back at them in the mirror? Sure you do. Give me a break.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Dean
She will enter into a relationship with a high profile Hollywood lesbian and pose for every camera possible.

um.. she's done that... missed the video have we?

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
I love you ignorant dolts who say "oh, it's jail, it's not prison". Why don't you try jail for a night or two, yourselves. I would bet the overwhelming majority of you kiddies and would be crying to your mommy, too. But wait, you didn't do anything to go to jail for, right? I mean, stealing that music online and all that warez...hey, everybody does that, right? Nothing like hypocrisy.

I also love the people who argue "she dissed the judge" nonsense. Hey, whatever happened to "dispassionate" justice? Look up the word "dispassionate". Quite frankly, whether a judge is pissed off or not, it should have no bearing on a sentence. Judges are supposed to keep their own emotions OUT of sentencing, period. Of course, they violate their own ethical standards when they don't, but no one seems to care about that.

This judge had all kinds of options to teach Paris a lesson I agree she needed. No celebrity should get special treatment in the eyes of the law. However, no celebrity should get "Let's teach them all a lesson" treatment, either. What's fair is fair. She could have been sentenced to do a great deal of community service of a humiliating kind. The press would have been there to document it all (unlike regular Joes, who could do their dirty community service without fear of appearing on Page Six.)

The final point that makes my argument completely comes from the Sheriff himself, who knows better than anyone involved --the judge, the press, anyone commenting, etc.-- what kinds of sentences are meted out and how they are carried out in LA County. Here are his words:

[Baca said] Friday that Hilton had been ordered to spend an unusually long time behind bars. Under his department's early- release program, Hilton would not have served any time in jail, Baca said. "The special treatment, in a sense, appears to be because of her celebrity status," he said. "She got more time in jail."

Case closed.

If it would have been some non-celebrity middle class person the judge would have likely slapped them with a significant fine and extended the probation period. Take away the cash equivalent to a month or two's mortgage payment is a pretty good wakeup call for the average joe. The only siginificant thing the justice system can do that is equal to that for someone like Paris Hilton is to take away their lifestyle for a period of time. The fines he could have imposed are pocket change to someone like her. So yes she is being treated somewhat differently than the average citizen in this matter and I don't think it is at all out of line.

Sorry dude, but that doesn't wash. Case in point: Let's say I get a traffic ticket and am fined $250. Now, let's say Bill Gates gets a traffic ticket --same one--same offense. Are you trying to say he should get his car impounded and license revoked because of our income inequities? Come on, man. Equal justice under the law.

If LA County's early release program --cited by Sheriff Baca, who uses it every day-- would have meant she shouldn't have even spent ONE DAY in jail, why should she be treated any differently than anyone else? You people who argue otherwise are just playing the reverse-classism card.

If people were honest here (*gulp*, honesty, what a concept!), they would admit that they're just envious that she's a child of privilege who doesn't need to work, and simply goes to parties and gets press attention. No one honestly cares about her disregarding the law. As I mentioned in my first post, there are no-doubt thousands of people who subscribe to this forums site alone who flout copyright law all the time and think nothing of it. You know, bittorrent, limewire, mp3 downloads, movie copying, software stealing, etc. Anyone see that face looking back at them in the mirror? Sure you do. Give me a break.

..isn't she a repeat offender and got caught again with no DL..intoxicated..and driving.

larciel

Diamond Member
May 23, 2001
Each case is different. but my buddy in LA county got 2nd time DUI and he hired attorney and avoided jail time. Instead he's serving 80day house arrest

so yeah, I could see why Paris could've been released, but if she's really 'sorry' for troubles she did I don't see why she's so crying hard about serving the time.

my personal view is below

1. Paris acted like a brainless rich kid and she enjoyed it
2. She got caught, was about to be sentenced, so she put out all these 'sorry statements', "I'm trying to be strong"... meaningless and heartless statements, possibly to ease her sentencing.
3. Judge might have been influenced by media and his stubbornness might have affected his ruling to put Paris in jail rather than give lenient sentence
4. Paris is disappointed, but trusts her mom and attorneys will do everything to get her out and goes into jail
5. She's out after couple days and enjoys life at her house. (ankle bracelet is a joke)
6. Judge was pissed because he thought his plan of getting Paris jail has been squashed, possibly very legally, and orders to bring her back and puts her back in jail without much consideration.

In the end.

Paris will get out and try to get the PR she received to her advantage.

Judge and the Sheriff Dept might be put under some kind of investigation/probation, but meaningless nonetheless

We'll forget about this issue after 5months.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
But wait, you didn't do anything to go to jail for, right? I mean, stealing that music online and all that warez...hey, everybody does that, right? Nothing like hypocrisy.

Yes, because music and software piracy is even in the same league as going 70 in a 35 at night without lights while drunk. Moron. :disgust:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

I agree. However, if Bill Gates says (or openly displays the attitude), "Screw you, I can pay your petty little fines. I'm above the law. I can do what I want. Your fines aren't even pocket change to me." Then, Bill Gates speeds again, and again, and again... Then eventually, to use a punishment as a deterrent, the judge is going to have little choice but to be harsh with Bill Gates.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
I recall reading that one country in Europe has a progressive penalty system for things like speeding tickets, I can't remember where though.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
I know jail must suck but 45 days is hardly the end of your life. She gets her own room...I would get a lot of reading done :)
That idiot never even graduated high school. I doubt she gets much reading done.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: larciel
Each case is different. but my buddy in LA county got 2nd time DUI and he hired attorney and avoided jail time. Instead he's serving 80day house arrest

so yeah, I could see why Paris could've been released, but if she's really 'sorry' for troubles she did I don't see why she's so crying hard about serving the time.

2. She got caught, was about to be sentenced, so she put out all these 'sorry statements', "I'm trying to be strong"... meaningless and heartless statements, possibly to ease her sentencing.
3. Judge might have been influenced by media and his stubbornness might have affected his ruling to put Paris in jail rather than give lenient sentence
4. Paris is disappointed, but trusts her mom and attorneys will do everything to get her out and goes into jail
5. She's out after couple days and enjoys life at her house. (ankle bracelet is a joke)
6. Judge was pissed because he thought his plan of getting Paris jail has been squashed, possibly very legally, and orders to bring her back and puts her back in jail without much consideration.

In the end.

Judge and the Sheriff Dept might be put under some kind of investigation/probation, but meaningless nonetheless

..she'll get released and suddenly become a global warming expert like all the other hollywood idiots.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Damn.

There are a lot of replies in this thread....A whole lot

Welp, here's one more!

Cheers,
b0mbrman

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: DrPizza

I agree. However, if Bill Gates says (or openly displays the attitude), "Screw you, I can pay your petty little fines. I'm above the law. I can do what I want. Your fines aren't even pocket change to me." Then, Bill Gates speeds again, and again, and again... Then eventually, to use a punishment as a deterrent, the judge is going to have little choice but to be harsh with Bill Gates.

Exactly. The judge has limits on what sentence he can impose based on the offense. Someone that can convince the judge that they understand they did wrong and are seriously working to avoid doing it in the future will likely get a more lenient sentence than someone that flaunts their lawbreaking and acts as though they are somehow above the law.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: IGBT
Originally posted by: larciel

In the end.

..she'll get released and suddenly become a global warming expert like all the other hollywood idiots.
You forgot to blame it all on the dope.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: DrPizza

Exactly. The judge has limits on what sentence he can impose based on the offense. Someone that can convince the judge that they understand they did wrong and are seriously working to avoid doing it in the future will likely get a more lenient sentence than someone that flaunts their lawbreaking and acts as though they are somehow above the law.

So basically if someone is better at lying.. he will get the lighter sentence? Laws should be applied evenly regardless if the person is rich or not. Obviously, if a person keeps on breaking the speedlimit. His license should be taken away. however, this should apply to everyone. Not because he's rich or poor.. etc.

Get caught speeding more than.. lets say 10 times, have your ticket revoked... no matter if you are rich or poor.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: everman
I recall reading that one country in Europe has a progressive penalty system for things like speeding tickets, I can't remember where though.

In Sweden they have it such that a speeding ticket is a percentage of your annual income or something like that...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
That idiot never even graduated high school. I doubt she gets much reading done.

I think we should start a collection (I was actually thinking this the other day...). Let's gather 3-6 books that we think Paris needs to read. Books that will make her a better, more worthwhile individual. We can mail them all in one nice care package :)

I'm thinking "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" for starters (lots of sex, so it may keep her attention long enough for some Kundera to sink in... ;))

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: silverpig
Originally posted by: everman

In Sweden they have it such that a speeding ticket is a percentage of your annual income or something like that...

Yep. I remember the CEO of Nokia or some other major company got a $700,000 speeding ticket on a motorcycle a few years back.

OUCH.