Parents use Myspace to bust anunderage drinking party

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bigal40

Sep 7, 2004
How exactly does one get ticketed for underage drinking?
How do the police prove that one was drinking, as far as I know you don't have to consent to a sobriety test unless you are driving. So unless you get caught with a drink in hand how do they prove it?

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: bigal40
How do the police prove that one was drinking, as far as I know you don't have to consent to a sobriety test unless you are driving. So unless you get caught with a drink in hand how do they prove it?

the cops kept everyone at bay by blocking the driveway. Not sure how many kids were at this party, but in my day we would have all split up and ran, whoever got caught got caught, the rest of would be home free. They couldn't have caught everyone running. I didn't have ID as a teen and had never been finger printed so they could have tried to ticket me, but it wouldn't have went so well for them :)

as for how the cops did it, scare tastics probably, I'm sure a lot of the kids were scared shit less, the cops knowing this used it to their advantage to force them into things that were illegal.

If my child was there, illegally drinking or not, if a cop has forced them into taking a sobriety test, I would have his badge. They can't do what they want when it suits them.

Nov 3, 2004
that's a little douchebaggy... why not just punish the daughter and tell all the parents of the invited kids of the plans? I assume they knew of the party before it actually happened...

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: jpeyton
The only lesson the kids learned is that MySpace and Facebook are bad places to post about illegal activities.

They'll still be drinking; but they'll be more careful about it.

Then they've d0ne the best they can.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
I guess teenagers will have to get more clever than using a "public" message board to announce an illegal activity. I know it must be hard with how much TV the average teenager sees this day, but clearly their way did not work.

I swear kids are getting so dumb and don't even try anymore. Thumbs up to the parents for thwarting the party and proving that (oh my parent's are too dumb or e-ignorant to check myspace) is total crap...

bladder23

Banned
Jun 28, 2007
Originally posted by: hanoverphist
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: AbAbber2k
Girl should have had her profile set to private.

I'm willing to bet it was deeper than that.

I'll bet they used a keylogger to get her passward and monitored it regularly, including her PMs.

My brother logs all the computer activity of his underage kids.

hopefully all parents do this. i have 3 kids, 11, 11 and 13. we talk about this kind of stuff all the time, and they tell me their password every time they change. it. they have no idea i already know it. props to these parents for taking care of business, despite the fact that their girl got busted too. hopefully it teaches all of them a few things about life in general.

do they know you post on ATOT?

Oct 25, 2006

1. Probably had alcohol on their breath

2. I think the fact that they were attending a illegal drinking party gives them enough reasonable suspicion to make them take a drinking test.

And also, I believe that knowing that someone is committing an illegal act and not reporting it can get ticketed, even if you didn't participate.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Josh
Dammnnnn their daughter is getting all sorts of shit for this at school. The parents should have let the other kids go as long as they weren't driving. It's kind of messed up to "capture" them in a way and make sure they get in trouble. That's just wrong.

The kids were ALL disrespectful to the parents. That's just wrong.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
It probably went something like this:

Parents: Suzy, we're going out of town for the weekend. We'll trust you to stay home, so long as you respect our house and the things we've worked our asses off to provide and don't have a party when we're not here. Typically these things cause significant damage to the property, and you run the risk of drunk driving / accidents and a host of other nasty possibilities.

Suzy: Sure thing Mom and Dad, I totally respect your things and why it is you don't want me to host a party in your house. You can trust me to be home alone for the weekend while you try to get away and enjoy yourselves.

Then Suzy goes and has the party anyway, showing blatant disrepect for her parents as individuals. Uber-1337 pwnage ensues, and hopefully the kid gets over her "omg I'm like so totally embarassed and stuff" phase and realizes that it's more important to respect other people than it is to have yourself a good old time. Maybe she doesn't get over it, and carries teenage angst into her twenties, gets pregnant, and then about 16 years later when she wants to hit the beach for the weekend finally comes to understand what the hell her parents were really talking about.

Well, that's all possible anyway, right?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

They give you a breathalizer test, you blow into the tube and you get your ticket. If you refuse you are taken to jail. It's how they bust underage parties, been through a few.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: QueBert

the cops kept everyone at bay by blocking the driveway. Not sure how many kids were at this party, but in my day we would have all split up and ran, whoever got caught got caught, the rest of would be home free. They couldn't have caught everyone running. I didn't have ID as a teen and had never been finger printed so they could have tried to ticket me, but it wouldn't have went so well for them :)

as for how the cops did it, scare tastics probably, I'm sure a lot of the kids were scared shit less, the cops knowing this used it to their advantage to force them into things that were illegal.

If my child was there, illegally drinking or not, if a cop has forced them into taking a sobriety test, I would have his badge. They can't do what they want when it suits them.

Uhh...I don't know if you understand how it works. If you don't have an ID, and you're illegally consuming something, they try to identify you, if they can't, they take you to the local PD and identify you there, and maybe fine you for not having an ID, and ticket you or w/e for what you were doing.

And I don't think you can have a cop's badge if he takes a sobriety test on your poor little innocent child.

And what do you mean "scared them into doing illegal shit." Are you semi-literate? Did you even read? It was a drinking party, which means people probably got obliterated out of their minds--by their own will. All the cops did is nab them because the parents were blocking the driveway with the car.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I have no problem with what the parents did, I don't really have a problem with what kids did either. They just need to know the risks of what they are doing, and do it smarter next time.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006

I'll bet they used a keylogger to get her passward and monitored it regularly, including her PMs.

hopefully all parents do this. i have 3 kids, 11, 11 and 13. we talk about this kind of stuff all the time, and they tell me their password every time they change. it. they have no idea i already know it. props to these parents for taking care of business, despite the fact that their girl got busted too. hopefully it teaches all of them a few things about life in general.

I think that's taking it a little too far into invasion of privacy. My belief is that if you smother the children too much and want to pry too much into their lives they will want to "escape" more and more

having discussions with your kids about the rights and wrongs, as well as imposing rules on usage is far from an invasion of privacy. rules for computers at my house include "the account is not yours, its mine. your password is mine also". same goes for text messages on the oldest girls phone. i read them all, she knows it. since we have had discussions about why we do things this way, along with her friends getting busted by their parents that dont do similar things, they get to see why first hand. there is no real privacy in a family, and that goes both ways.

That's a really bad move. That just means they'll go crazy in college. My best friend has been kept on an incredibly tight leash his whole life. His parents take away his Wii (which he bought) when they don't think he's working hard enough or something(he already got into Carnegie Mellon). He's gonna party like crazy in college. My parents brought my brothers and I up in a fairly lenient manner. All 3 of us drink and smoke pot, but we don't let it get in the way of our work, so our parents don't care. Our parents tend to talk to us more about philosophy than straight up "don't do drugs."

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: TehMac
Originally posted by: QueBert

Uhh...I don't know if you understand how it works. If you don't have an ID, and you're illegally consuming something, they try to identify you, if they can't, they take you to the local PD and identify you there, and maybe fine you for not having an ID, and ticket you or w/e for what you were doing.

And I don't think you can have a cop's badge if he takes a sobriety test on your poor little innocent child.

And what do you mean "scared them into doing illegal shit." Are you semi-literate? Did you even read? It was a drinking party, which means people probably got obliterated out of their minds--by their own will. All the cops did is nab them because the parents were blocking the driveway with the car.

If I don't have ID and I've never been finger printed (example when I was 15) what good would taking me to the station do? Unless they have a machine that can magically ID people they wouldn't be able to figure out who I was. I know this technology does exist but it's not going to work well on non criminal teens, and the people it works on are typically ones who've already been finger printed. Unless of course they had that super elite face scan technology that's on CSI that can id anyone living.

As for having an offers badge, maybe I couldn't, but if the officer illegally co hearsed a person into taking a sobrarity test, action should be taken. I don't care that the kids were underage and drinking, that doesn't give police officers special previliages to violate our rights as citizens. If my son/daughter had been there, refused the test and was put in the back of the police car and taken to the station. I would have his ass because at that point two of my kids rights were broken. Cops cannot arrest you for doing nothing, or just off their assumption you did something.

Cops use scare tactics to abuse their powers all the time, and it's not right. Hell one time I was pulled over for making an improper lane change. They requested to search my car, I said "hell no" and they did it any ways. And because I resisted they left me on the curb for 25 minutes while they did God knows what and left the inside of my car a mess. And conveniently forgot to tell me they had put my keys way underneath the seat (took me 15 minutes to find them) They taught me not to mess with a cop even when you're not in the wrong. I called their captain who basically told me "oh well" nobody cares about peoples rights anymore that's the problem.

cdmccool

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2006
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante

I think that's taking it a little too far into invasion of privacy. My belief is that if you smother the children too much and want to pry too much into their lives they will want to "escape" more and more

having discussions with your kids about the rights and wrongs, as well as imposing rules on usage is far from an invasion of privacy. rules for computers at my house include "the account is not yours, its mine. your password is mine also". same goes for text messages on the oldest girls phone. i read them all, she knows it. since we have had discussions about why we do things this way, along with her friends getting busted by their parents that dont do similar things, they get to see why first hand. there is no real privacy in a family, and that goes both ways.

That's a really bad move. That just means they'll go crazy in college.

I agree. He might be in for a rude awakening. =/

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
rules for kids don't carry over to them as an adult if you're too strict, gowning up my mom let me have NO sugar, no junk food and very little fast food. She went as far as to tell all the neighbor parents if I come over not to offer me anything like that. I'm 33 now and my diet is nothing but crap. Reading your daughters text messages isn't going to help because she's obviously told all her friends what you do and they're not going to send anything they shouldn't knowing that fact.

and as a few neighbor kids have told me, when the parents start to require knowing Myspace logins and such is when they have secret 2nd accounts they don't tell the parents about. Kids don't like to be spied on.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: bignateyk
Originally posted by: thecoolnessrune
Something I'm curious about... Do the parents drink you think?

Something I'm curious about... Does it matter?

Underage drinking happens, but props to these parents for preventing all these fucking tards from driving home afterward. I drank in highschool, but I never drove to parties. If I was gonna be drinking, I arranged to crash there, walk, etc...

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: KLin
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Since the parents would be liable if one of the kids drove home drunk and died, they did the right thing.

Exactly. +1 to the parents making the other parents aware of what their kids were doing too :thumbsup:.

I imagine many of those parents were aware of what their kids were doing...

It is called High School... Unless you never had a drink under the age of 21 that wasn't church related keep your opinion to your self...

Ohhh... and If you never drank illegal more props to you ... nerd.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilanteAll 3 of us drink and smoke pot, but we don't let it get in the way of our work, so our parents don't care. Our parents tend to talk to us more about philosophy than straight up "don't do drugs."

they're doing a heck of a job :roll:

bigal40

Sep 7, 2004
Originally posted by: spidey07

They give you a breathalizer test, you blow into the tube and you get your ticket. If you refuse you are taken to jail. It's how they bust underage parties, been through a few.

What are you charged with when taken to jail?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07

What are you charged with when taken to jail?

Minor consumption of alcohol.