Parents: how did you explain the bunny-easter connection to your kids?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Easter is a celebration of Spring, so eggs, bunnies, etc all make sense. The easter bunny brings flower and garden seeds, plants, gloves, gardening tools, and goodies to my house for the kids, then steals the eggs out of the fridge and hides them all over the yard*. We make no mention of the Christian Easter tradition at all because we are not Christians.

*Funny story- when my son was 4-5 he would always beg to sleep with us on the night before easter. He finally told us why when he was older-he thought that it was absurd to believe that an actual rabbit was hiding eggs, so he reasoned that some creepy guy must dress up in a rabbit costume, break into homes, and steal and hide eggs. Scared the crap out of him.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Injury
If kids even bother asking, just tell them that the Easter bunny just wants to help us celebrate Jesus' birthday. Just like there is a BIG cake when you go to Grandpa's birthday because he's important, everyone gets loads of candy on Jesus' birthday because he's super important!

:D

jesus' birthday is christmas, jew.

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
I don't have children. But when (and if) I do, I will tell them that it is a way for Christians to indoctrinate their children to believing in the illogical--same as Santa Clause and Jesus.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Originally posted by: ScottyB
I don't have children. But when (and if) I do, I will tell them that it is a way for Christians to indoctrinate their children to believing in the illogical--same as Santa Clause and Jesus.

so when they find out santa clause isn't real, they will denounce their belief in jesus? great plan buddy

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: slayer202

so when they find out santa clause isn't real, they will denounce their belief in jesus? great plan buddy

:confused: They never will believe in Jesus.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: slayer202

Happened to me. :thumbsup:

Playmaker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Originally posted by: DaShen
It is pretty ridiculous how some Christians think that this is harmless even though it is pagan, yet halloween and all hallow's eve (are harmful).

Hahaha, the bunny thing is harmful, but teaching kids about a RESURRECTION is perfectly normal?

:confused:

dawnbug

Golden Member
Oct 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Bryophyte

*Funny story- when my son was 4-5 he would always beg to sleep with us on the night before easter. He finally told us why when he was older-he thought that it was absurd to believe that an actual rabbit was hiding eggs, so he reasoned that some creepy guy must dress up in a rabbit costume, break into homes, and steal and hide eggs. Scared the crap out of him.

:laugh:

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
I don't think I ever cared. Easter to me (even now) is a day to eat chocolate bunnies.

L

Lola

my parents never had to tell me, one easter after visiting the mall bunny, it just struck me how stupid the idea was. but for some reason, i was more upset though about realizing the easter bunny was fake than accept santa was also not real.

TBone48

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2005
We just told our kids people like to have fun, and candy and colored eggs are fun. We told them it has nothing to do with Jesus, it's just a fun thing to do.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
My parents would hide easter eggs all over the house and yard and say "there are 25 eggs, go get 'em!!!" After my brother and I tore the house apart for an hour looking for that last egg, they said "haha there are only 24!"

TBone48

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Yossarian
My parents would hide easter eggs all over the house and yard and say "there are 25 eggs, go get 'em!!!" After my brother and I tore the house apart for an hour looking for that last egg, they said "haha there are only 24!"

:laugh: I'm gonna do that this year!