Parent accidentally shoots son in parking lot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gerle

Aug 9, 2009
Do you support car, rat poison, knife, screwdriver bans too, just to mention a few useful things that are very dangerous when handled by fools?

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Do you support car, rat poison, knife, screwdriver bans too, just to mention a few useful things that are very dangerous when handled by fools?

Guns have one function to maim and murder. Those other things have important uses.

Gerle

Aug 9, 2009
Sure, but guns are great equalizers too. They allow old or handicapped people to defend themselves, they have let even children defend themselves during home invasions. Any tool used incorrectly is dangerous.

RocksteadyDotNet

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2008

Yeah, because it's common for people to be accidently stabbed and killed with a screwdriver...

Dumbass.

Nov 8, 2012
Guiz guiz. one guy makes a mistake. That makes you all responsible. Give me your guns, you don't get to have them anymore. I'm arresting you for being associated with a gun owner that shot his kid, you are guilty by association.

Also, in your school there are retarded kids. Since retarded kids are in your school - that makes you all retarded.

Nov 8, 2012
Yeah, because it's common for people to be accidently stabbed and killed with a screwdriver...

Dumbass.

Uhhh he does have a bit of a point. Yeah, all those baby things for sharp corners, electrical outlets, keeping the cabinets underneath the sink (Rat poison, cleaners, etc) locked.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
Once again, guns are NOT the problem.
Of course it's the problem. If that parent hadn't been carrying a gun his kid would have been alive now, I don't see how you could say something like that, considering the actual events.

Also, consider rate of gun-related violence, homicides, accidental shootings, random killing sprees, postalness etc in the US, versus...well pretty much any western nation on the planet actually. Hard to say guns have NOTHING to do with any of that and still keep a straight face (or at least a standard-length nose) I'd say!

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
I'm sure that if 100% of the adult population carried, we'd all be much safer. Because as everyone knows, the average person - with a 100 IQ - will consistently practice safe handling of their handgun and will never use their handgun in the heat of anger.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I'm sure that if 100% of the adult population carried, we'd all be much safer. Because as everyone knows, the average person - with a 100 IQ - will consistently practice safe handling of their handgun and will never use their handgun in the heat of anger.

All those that don't would have already shot their kids or themselves on accident and are no longer polluting the gene pool. It's a self-correcting problem.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
All those that don't would have already shot their kids or themselves on accident and are no longer polluting the gene pool. It's a self-correcting problem.

Exactly! Because it's clear that a stupid, irrational, and/or careless person with a handgun will never shoot anyone but their blood relatives.

Gerle

Aug 9, 2009

Dumbass.

That was not what I said. The increase in stabbing post-gun ban in Britain show that it is the intent of the user, not the tool that matters.
Would you talk like that face to face, pal?

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
That was not what I said. The increase in stabbing post-gun ban in Britain show that it is the intent of the user, not the tool that matters.
Would you talk like that face to face, pal?

Exactly. Which is why the U.S. Army has decided to stop issuing firearms to soldiers. The Army knows that knives and clubs are just as deadly in combat situations as firearms, as long as soldiers are taught correct "intent."

Gerle

Aug 9, 2009
Exactly. Which is why the U.S. Army has decided to stop issuing firearms to soldiers. The Army knows that knives and clubs are just as deadly in combat situations as firearms, as long as soldiers are taught correct "intent."

Did you have anything to contribute?

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004

I'm sure that you are correct and average people are dumb and can't be trusted and your perceived safety is paramount and trumps any rights others might hold.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Yes, clearly the man who can't tell the difference between a real news story and an onion story should be commenting on this.

You... you would be the top 10 dumb people to accidentally kill someone with a gun.

he did? bwhahahahah ok that was funny phokus.

I am all for people having firearms. BUT we need actual training for it (at a low cost to be honest. maybe something in school).

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012

I don't get it. People like you scream and whine until you get everyone in a government school, but then you always complain about the finished product.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Of course it's the problem. If that parent hadn't been carrying a gun his kid would have been alive now, I don't see how you could say something like that, considering the actual events.

Also, consider rate of gun-related violence, homicides, accidental shootings, random killing sprees, postalness etc in the US, versus...well pretty much any western nation on the planet actually. Hard to say guns have NOTHING to do with any of that and still keep a straight face (or at least a standard-length nose) I'd say!

Approximately 3x as many kids die in motor vehicle accidents every year than died in accidental gun discharges from 1999-2010*. Are motor vehicles the problem? If those parents didn't own cars, would those kids be alive now?

Arguments such as these are non-starters. It's easy to point the blame at the gun, but the fact of the matter is that the parent was negligent, probably grossly so. The gun in this instance facilitated the negligence but the source was solely the parent. That negligent parent likely would have otherwise harmed the kid in some other fashion had the gun been absent because that's what negligent parents do.

It's easy to blame the gun. Guns don't have feelings. Guns don't crumble psychologically when you tell them "You killed your own kid". You don't have to look a gun in the eye as you pass judgment. But the gun is an inanimate object and, while it fired the bullet, the parent killed the kid.

*5495 motor vehicle fatalities in 2009 for people aged 20 and younger http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811620.pdf
1886 accidental gun discharge fatalities from 1999-2010 for people aged 19 and younger http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/fatal_injury_reports.html

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
from the time this thread started, until I made this post, how many people died from lung cancer to which cigarettes contributed?

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Approximately 3x as many kids die in motor vehicle accidents every year than died in accidental gun discharges from 1999-2010*. Are motor vehicles the problem? If those parents didn't own cars, would those kids be alive now?

Arguments such as these are non-starters. It's easy to point the blame at the gun, but the fact of the matter is that the parent was negligent, probably grossly so. The gun in this instance facilitated the negligence but the source was solely the parent. That negligent parent likely would have otherwise harmed the kid in some other fashion had the gun been absent because that's what negligent parents do.

It's easy to blame the gun. Guns don't have feelings. Guns don't crumble psychologically when you tell them "You killed your own kid". You don't have to look a gun in the eye as you pass judgment. But the gun is an inanimate object and, while it fired the bullet, the parent killed the kid.

*5495 motor vehicle fatalities in 2009 for people aged 20 and younger http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811620.pdf
1886 accidental gun discharge fatalities from 1999-2010 for people aged 19 and younger http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/fatal_injury_reports.html

If you banned guns, you'd turn the US into a country like many others. Everything would be fine.

If you banned cars on the other hand...

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Guns shouldn't be banned for all the reasons stated above. Everyone shouldn't be forced to have a gun for the reasons stated above. The people that want to own guns should have the common sense to get training. Those that don't kill their own children (Or Billy finds his Dad's pop-gun) and the problem sorts itself out.

Fin.

rumpleforeskin

Nov 3, 2008
Many things are dangerous and the key is minimising that danger by minimising peoples exposure to dangerous items. This is a important in preventing accidents.

Kitchen knives, usually kept in a knife block in the kitchen and only taken out when used. You would not carry a kitchen knife with you when going to the shop as it is not needed and may accidentally injure someone. Yet when back in the kitchen the tool is easily available and the risk is minimised.

So maybe instead of people carrying guns around all the time they could be picked up at the entrances to shooting ranges / schools / liquor stores where they are most used and handed back in on the way out.

This would cut down the majority of the accidental firearm discharges while still allowing use of guns for target practice on firing ranges, robbing stores and intentionally gunning down people who dis you in school.

safety first.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
from the time this thread started, until I made this post, how many people died from lung cancer to which cigarettes contributed?

this isn't a point. It's a distraction.

While guns and cigarettes are both profitable for their manufacturers and both have lobbies for them.

Cigarettes take a while kill a person and usually the person is killing himself. Yes there is the affect of second hand smoke but now you'd have had to have been living under a rock for 20 years to not know the dangers of it. The main difference is the minimum time it can take between the two items being compared to kill an individual.

People can avoid the cigarette smoker without dying from sudden second-hand smoke syndrome. A cigarette smoker can try to quit before his risks of premature death from smoking get too high.

With a gun an idiot can inadvertently kill their kid in less time than it takes the average cigarette addict to take a drag.

It's over once the bullet is fired and the person is dead in a way that is more certain than a person smoking cigarettes for a few years then deciding to quit, but still getting cancer down the line.

Last edited: