Palin says: "Obama pals around with terrorists"

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Must be a vast left wing conspiracy. Damn mainstream media not getting on the guilt by association bandwagon. Obviously Obama should not have worked for causes he believes in because Ayers was also working for same causes at the same place and time.
Bottom line is Obama denounced Ayers' history of violence, there is no there there. McCain is getting really desperate if he's pinning his hopes on this dog hunting.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: hellokeith
edit:CNN news link

By Drew Griffin and Kathleen Johnston
CNN Special Investigations Unit

More than 30 years ago, William Ayers was a fugitive leader of the Weather Underground, an antiwar terrorist group known for its bombings of police stations, the Pentagon and the U.S. Capitol.

Obama confirmed during that April debate that he knew Ayers "as a guy who lives in my neighborhood."

When pressed, Obama said they served on a charitable board together. He also denounced Ayers' support for violence.

"What they are arguing is that somehow the fact that these two people, who both served as educational reformers in Chicago, both who did have their paths cross professionally as well as neighbors occasionally, that somehow this association is a problem because of Bill Ayers' past and things that happened in the 1960s when Barack Obama was 7 years old," said Anita Dunn, a senior Obama adviser.

"And that's just wrong and quite unfair."

But the relationship between Obama and Ayers went deeper, ran longer and was more political than Obama -- and his surrogates -- have revealed, documents and interviews show.

It is good to see the mainstream media finally picking up on this story. Hillary repeatedly brought up these questions and was squelched, never getting a thorough investigation and account of when Obama knew Ayers was a former terrorist and yet still associated with him frequently as a friend and political sponsor.

but but but but he's just some guy in the neighborhood...right?

What is the point of this whole Ayers thing?

Its all about "judgment". Do you trust someone with the US economy with that type of "judgment"? We're not taking about running a community center here. We are talking about people livelihoods. We're talking about jobs.. etc. We're talking about millions of people. We are talking about the biggest financial crisis in decades. Does Obama have the "judgment"?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This story has zero new information, and the "deeper and more political" connections it is talking about are the fact that they served on some boards together, something Obama had already talked about, and the fundraiser, that everyone already knew about.

This isn't the mainstream media "finally getting to this", this is the same stuff they have reported on a dozen times in the past.

But, by all means don't let me stop the right wing circle jerk.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: eleison
Its all about "judgment". Do you trust someone with the US economy with that type of "judgment"? We're not taking about running a community center here. We are talking about people livelihoods. We're talking about jobs.. etc. We're talking about millions of people. We are talking about the biggest financial crisis in decades. Does Obama have the "judgment"?

Sure he does. At least he is talking about the crisis, not some 30 year old nonsense that has nothing to do with anything that McCain campaign is talking about.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: senseamp
Originally posted by: eleison

Sure he does. At least he is talking about the crisis, not some 30 year old nonsense that has nothing to do with anything that McCain campaign is talking about.

I think the ultimate rebuttal to any questions of "judgment" can be answered with two words: Sarah Palin. Really. . he picked Sarah Palin?

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Who hurt more Americans: Bill Ayers or Charles Keating?

[/thread]

Typical idiotic response from you. What does one have to do with the other? Does Keating deserve airtime? Hell yeah. Does he negate the Ayers topic? Fuck no, but you sure as hell wish.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: jbourne77

[/thread]

Typical idiotic response from you. What does one have to do with the other? Does Keating deserve airtime? Hell yeah. Does he negate the Ayers topic? Fuck no, but you sure as hell wish.
This whole Ayers thing is idiotic as it diverts attention away from the issues which is what the struggling McCain campaign wants. Let McCain bring it up at the next debate if that old coot has the nerve.I'm betting he's to cowardly to do it and prefers to let the Dipstick with Lipstick do it along with bitter Wingnuts like you.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

but but but but he's just some guy in the neighborhood...right?

That's where your head is... Up your but but but but. :laugh:

Bet you didn't read the whole article before you quoted hellokeith's post. For example, I bet you didn't read that the only connections noted between them are still related to their work on the Annenberg board that provided funding for education projects. :roll:

And I bet you didn't read this two line paragraph:

A CNN review of project records found nothing to suggest anything inappropriate in the volunteer projects in which the two men were involved. Read CNN's fact check on Obama's connection to Ayers

And I bet you didn't follow the link to thier fact check on Obama's connection to Ayers, even though it was right there on the page for you.

October 5, 2008

Fact Check: Is Obama 'palling around with terrorists'?

Posted: 09:00 AM ET

The Statement: Republican vice presidential candidate Gov. Sarah Palin said Saturday, October 4, that Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama is "someone who sees America, it seems, as being so imperfect that he's palling around with terrorists who would target their own country."

The Facts: In making the charge at a fund-raising event in Englewood, Colorado, and a rally in Carson, California, Palin was referring at least in part to William Ayers, a 1960s radical. In both appearances, Palin cited a front-page article in Saturday's New York Times detailing the working relationship between Obama and Ayers.

In the 1960s, Ayers was a founding member of the radical Weather Underground group that carried out a string of bombings of federal buildings, including the Pentagon and the U.S. Capitol, in protest against the Vietnam War. The now-defunct group was labeled a "domestic terrorist group" by the FBI, and Ayers and his wife, Bernadine Dohrn ? also a Weather Underground member ? spent 10 years as fugitives in the 1970s. Federal charges against them were dropped due to FBI misconduct in gathering evidence against them, and they resurfaced in 1980. Both Ayers and Dohrn ultimately became university professors in Chicago, with Ayers, 63, now an education professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

Obama's Chicago home is in the same neighborhood where Ayers and Dohrn live. Beginning in 1995, Ayers and Obama worked with the non-profit Chicago Annenberg Challenge on a huge school improvement project. The Annenberg Challenge was for cities to compete for $50 million grants to improve public education. Ayers fought to bring the grant to Chicago, and Obama was recruited onto the board. Also from 1999 through 2001 both were board members on the Woods Fund, a charitable foundation that gave money to various causes, including the Trinity United Church that Obama attended and Northwestern University Law Schools' Children and Family Justice Center, where Dohrn worked.

CNN's review of project records found nothing to suggest anything inappropriate in the volunteer projects in which the two men were involved.

Obama campaign spokesman Ben LaBolt told CNN that after meeting Obama through the Annenberg project, Ayers hosted a campaign event for him that same year when then-Illinois state Sen. Alice Palmer, who planned to run for Congress, introduced the young community organizer as her chosen successor. LaBolt also said the two have not spoken by phone or exchanged e-mail messages since Obama came to the U.S. Senate in 2005 and last met more than a year ago when they encountered each other on the street in their Hyde Park neighborhood.

The extent of Obama's relationship with Ayers came up during the Democratic presidential primaries earlier this year, and Obama explained it by saying, "This is a guy who lives in my neighborhood ? the notion that somehow as a consequence of me knowing somebody who engaged in detestable acts 40 years ago ? when I was 8 years old ? somehow reflects on me and my values doesn't make much sense."

The McCain campaign did not respond Saturday to a request for elaboration on Palin's use of the plural "terrorists."

Verdict: False. There is no indication that Ayers and Obama are now "palling around," or that they have had an ongoing relationship in the past three years. Also, there is nothing to suggest that Ayers is now involved in terrorist activity or that other Obama associates are.

I know you're ethically blind as a bat and reading challenged on this subject so I'll repeat that for you with added emphasis...

VERDICT: FALSE!! There is no indication that Ayers and Obama are now "palling around," or that they have had an ongoing relationship in the past three years. Also, there is nothing to suggest that Ayers is now involved in terrorist activity or that other Obama associates are.

That leaves us still waiting for the "more" found by your mysterious "they." Your problem is, it STILL doesn't exist. Your bigger problem is, neither does your credibility. :roll:
< crickets > :clock:
< crickets > :clock:

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

[/thread]

This whole Ayers thing is idiotic as it diverts attention away from the issues which is what the struggling McCain campaign wants. Let McCain bring it up at the next debate if that old coot has the nerve.I'm betting he's to cowardly to do it and prefers to let the Dipstick with Lipstick do it along with bitter Wingnuts like you.

As of McCain's "I'm buying everyone's mortgage" statement, I'm no longer a supporter. However, Ayers, Wright, etc., are testaments to Obama's judgment. I would hardly call questions over his judgment, character, and intentions "diversions". But go on with your one-liners: Dipstick with Lipstick, Wingnuts, McSame, McBush, etc. They make your posts more meaningful. Really.

Statements about Keating designed to deflect statements about Ayers are totally illogical, regardless of whether or not you think the topic has merit.

DrewSG3

Feb 7, 2005
Anyone read these comments by Sarah Palin?

She said Obama being elected as president would diminish the prestige of the presidency..

Unbelievable..

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

[/thread]

As of McCain's "I'm buying everyone's mortgage" statement, I'm no longer a supporter. However, Ayers, Wright, etc., are testaments to Obama's judgment. I would hardly call questions over his judgment, character, and intentions "diversions". But go on with your one-liners: Dipstick with Lipstick, Wingnuts, McSame, McBush, etc. They make your posts more meaningful. Really.
Thank you, I'd like to return the compliment but then I'd be lying... sorry.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: DrewSG3

She said Obama being elected as president would diminish the prestige of the presidency..

Unbelievable..

You know what would diminish the prestige of the Vice Presidency?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Farang

Unbelievable..

Cheney suffering from a massive coronary?? Say it ain't so Joe:shocked:

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

I would hardly call questions over his judgment, character, and intentions "diversions". But go on with your one-liners: Dipstick with Lipstick, Wingnuts, McSame, McBush, etc. They make your posts more meaningful. Really.

Statements about Keating designed to deflect statements about Ayers are totally illogical, regardless of whether or not you think the topic has merit.

OK. Now try refuting the fact that there is ABSOLUTELY NO evidence of a connection between Obama and Ayres beyond what has been established by the evidence. They were both on the board of a public service board that helped schools, and Ayers contributed $200 to Obama's first campaign for state office.

If you really want to believe the bullshit CAD has been spewing, you're in the same boat. You'll have to prove what nobody else has been able to prove, or you'll have to keep lying to yourself.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
What about judgment? McCain picking Palin shows good judgment? :laugh:

I'm pretty sure I've already ruled out McCain as having good judgment. But we're not talking about McCain, are we? I think we're talking about Obama and Ayers - or at least trying to.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Harvey

I would hardly call questions over his judgment, character, and intentions "diversions". But go on with your one-liners: Dipstick with Lipstick, Wingnuts, McSame, McBush, etc. They make your posts more meaningful. Really.

OK. Now try refuting the fact that there is ABSOLUTELY NO evidence of a connection between Obama and Ayres beyond what has been established by the evidence. They were both on the board of a public service board that helped schools, and Ayers contributed $200 to Obama's first campaign for state office.

If you really want to believe the bullshit CAD has been spewing, you're in the same boat. You'll have to prove what nobody else has been able to prove, or you'll have to keep lying to yourself.

Hey look, it's another lie by another bitter old man. You have repeatedly and purposely misrepresented what I've posted.

Have you read the recent CNN article? Hmm....

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

I'm pretty sure I've already ruled out McCain as having good judgment. But we're not talking about McCain, are we? I think we're talking about Obama and Ayers - or at least trying to.

No. The topic is:

Topic Title: Palin says: "Obama pals around with terrorists"

We're talking about McCain and Palin's bullshit attempts to somehow paint Obama as a terrorist because of his association with Ayres at another time under totally unrelated circumstances.

It's valid to argue that McCain is showing piss poor judgment in allowing the smears to continue, and it's valid to call McCain a liar for doing so since he specifically said he would "run an honorable campaign."

John McCain couldn't keep his Double Talk Express on track if it had training wheels. :thumbsdown: :|

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
I think we're talking about Obama and Ayers - or at least trying to.

No. The topic is:

Okay... ?

Hate to break it to ya, but I do classify Ayers as a terrorist. What left is to determine whether or not Obama pals around with him. I've seen so much mixed information on the subject that I'm not ready to take anyone's word for it.

DrewSG3

Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Farang

Unbelievable..

Dick Cheney?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

No. The topic is:

We're talking about McCain and Palin's bullshit attempts to somehow paint Obama as a terrorist because of his association with Ayres at another time under totally unrelated circumstances.

It's valid to argue that McCain is showing piss poor judgment in allowing the smears to continue, and it's valid to call McCain a liar for doing so since he specifically said he would "run an honorable campaign."

John McCain couldn't keep his Double Talk Express on track if it had training wheels. :thumbsdown: :|

And I've addressed that. Palin can't claim that to be "truth" and BHO can't claim that he's just a guy in the neighborhood as "truth". There is too much not known for either side to claim "truth".

Also, you'd have to be an absolute moron to claim she said he is a terrorist. Ayers is an unrepentant terrorist and BHO's connection is unverified.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I think we're talking about Obama and Ayers - or at least trying to.

No. The topic is:

Okay... ?

Hate to break it to ya, but I do classify Ayers as a terrorist. What left is to determine whether or not Obama pals around with him. I've seen so much mixed information on the subject that I'm not ready to take anyone's word for it.
There's no denying they were associates but if they palled around don't you think the Clinton Political Machine would have exposed it? Lord knows they are a hell of a lot more competent than the McCain organization.

Speaking of which, I bet old Bill and Hilary are really pissed off that they didn't get the chance to go up against McCain, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Speaking of which, I bet old Bill and Hilary are really pissed off that they didn't get the chance to go up against McCain, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

I think there's some interesting discussion to be had there. On one hand, I totally agree; but on the other hand, the dynamics of the election would be so vastly different that I'm not so sure McCain would have had to resort to some of the dumb stunts he's pulled. Of course, in the end, he probably would have still picked Palin, which does kind of pull us right back around to where we're at now.

Just thinking aloud here (as usual).

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Harvey it is more than serving on a board and $200.

First, Obama was chair on one of those board Ayers was co-chair.

Obama wrote a cover blurb for Ayers book!

And then check out this link from 1997
link
Ayers, who spent a year observing the Cook County Temporary Juvenile Detention Center in Chicago, is one of four panelists who will speak on juvenile justice at 6 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 20, in the C-Shop. The panel, which marks the 100th anniversary of the juvenile justice system in the United States, is part of the Community Service Center's monthly discussion series on issues affecting the city of Chicago. The event is free and open to the public.

Ayers will be joined by Sen. Barack Obama, Senior Lecturer in the Law School....
and this one from 2002
link
Intellectuals in Times of Crisis
Experiences and applications of intellectual work in urgent situations.

William Ayers, UIC, College of Education; author of Fugitive Days
Douglass Cassel, Northwestern University, Center for International Human Rights
Cathy Cohen, University of Chicago, Political Science
Salim Muwakkil, Chicago Tribune; In These Times
Barack Obama, Illinois State Senator
The second was AFTER Ayers came out and said that he did not regret setting bombs!!!!!

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Harvey it is more than serving on a board and $200.

First, Obama was chair on one of those board Ayers was co-chair.

Obama wrote a cover blurb for Ayers book!

And then check out this link from 1997
link
Ayers, who spent a year observing the Cook County Temporary Juvenile Detention Center in Chicago, is one of four panelists who will speak on juvenile justice at 6 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 20, in the C-Shop. The panel, which marks the 100th anniversary of the juvenile justice system in the United States, is part of the Community Service Center's monthly discussion series on issues affecting the city of Chicago. The event is free and open to the public.

Ayers will be joined by Sen. Barack Obama, Senior Lecturer in the Law School....
and this one from 2002
link
Intellectuals in Times of Crisis
Experiences and applications of intellectual work in urgent situations.

William Ayers, UIC, College of Education; author of Fugitive Days
Douglass Cassel, Northwestern University, Center for International Human Rights
Cathy Cohen, University of Chicago, Political Science
Salim Muwakkil, Chicago Tribune; In These Times
Barack Obama, Illinois State Senator
The second was AFTER Ayers came out and said that he did not regret setting bombs!!!!!
LOL, is that all you have Wingnut?