P4C 2.4 to 3Ghz, which one is best for OCing purposes ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Slogun
Originally posted by: Sunny129
Originally posted by: ZL1
Originally posted by: Slogun
I think I'll be going with 2.4 I really like the idea of a high FSB

Sorry, I just don't buy that logic.

You can get a 2.6 chip for the same money as a 2.4 and bring the FSB up to the same level you would have on the 2.4 chip and end up with a higher MHz system.

Of course, the higher you run your FSB, the greater chance of instability in your system.

there was a second part there :)
Im expecting the prices to level and the 2.4 to drop more :)

D

the reason you don't buy that logic is because you automatically assume the 2.6C will be just as good an OCer as the 2.4C. if you go to overclockers.com and check out the database, you'll notice that the average OC of the 2.4C is 3323mhz and that of the 2.6C is 3474mhz. a quick glance at the numbers makes you think the 2.6C system is better, when the truth is that you'll never notice the 151mhz difference in system clock in the real world, especially when you're already past the 3GHz mark. at the same time, the 2.4C maintains a 10mhz internal clock lead on the 2.6C, which translates into a 40mhz fsb difference. so the 2.4C has the edge in fsb, and the 2.6C has the edge in overall system clock. it tends to even out, no system is significantly better than the other, at least not in real world performance differences. in fact, you wouldn't even notice them.

also, you're wasting your time waiting for the price on the 2.4C to drop to $150, or even at all. it will stay where it is for some time to come. since intel's price drop, the 2.4C is the only one whose price remained unchanged. so you might as well buy now...

No, the reason I don't buy the logic is because all the points you just reiterated would convince me to buy a 2.6c chip when they both cost the same and the performance is similar.....:p

Also, at overclockers.com there were 57 people listing their overclock of the 2.4 chip while only 21 people made an entry onthe 2.6 chip. Not a terribly representative sample.

Those results might also be attributable to more people rising to the challenge of trying to eek as much performance out of the lowest rated P4C chip just for the fun of it. There are no controls over, or way to categorize how stable those sytems may or may not be.

Personally, I would give more credence to your statements if you yourself had shelled out the better part of $200 on one of these chips....your sig shows you are using a P1.6.

true...the sample sizes are a bit small, but it is a prime website for OCing and the best database i know of to this point, so you have to start looking somewhere for these numbers. if you know of a more extensive database, i would like to know what it is, b/c this is really the only one i'm aware of. and no, there isn't much of a way to tell how stable these systems are, other than the select few in the database who care to comment on stability, which there are a few, but not many.

also, credibility always seems to be an issue in the forums, but while i myself don't have a P4C, that doesn't mean i lack the experience in building and OCing several of these systems for people i know. i wouldn't watse my breath with all the above comments if i didn't know first hand about some of this stuff. personally, i wouldn't want advice either from someone who doesn't have some sort of minimal experience. i know you can't get all that info from user profiles here, but now you know. i would try to sell you false knowledge, or information i wasn't somewhat sure about. to make a point, i've put 2.4C and 2.6C systems together, and in the end i'd say the performance difference is negligible. so in a sense i can see your justification in getting a 2.6C over a 2.4C. you just have a slightly different take on it than i do...but if it does make you feel better ;) i ordered the 2.6C from newegg last week, and it should be here tomorrow or the next day, so my sig will change soon.:beer: