P4C 2.4 to 3Ghz, which one is best for OCing purposes ?

ZL1

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2003
Hi

guys I was thinking about building a new machine, long overdue, but I dont know what to do about the cpu, should I get a 2.4 or should I go higher ? which one would you guys say is best for OCing ? (air,maybe water if I dare)

please let me know, please please :) (this is an important one for me)

Thanks
Dan

Apr 17, 2003
if you look at the oc database at overclockers.com, they are oc in the same general vicinty, 2.6C being the best out of the bunch. i would get the 2.6c since it is cheaper than the 2.4C @ newegg

ZL1

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2003
Originally posted by: shady06
if you look at the oc database at overclockers.com, they are oc in the same general vicinty, 2.6C being the best out of the bunch. i would get the 2.6c since it is cheaper than the 2.4C @ newegg

yes I noticed that price thingy too :)
thats why I started asking, I wasnt planning on buying yet (since I got no cash) but I keep looking through newegg's prices now and then for fun and I noticed that the 2.6 is at the same price as the 2.4 I got for my friends new rig
so Im wondering if I should take it, put it on a shelf until I get the $$ for the rest :)

Thanks
Dan

SilverBack

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Every 2.4C will do 3Ghz and save you a lot of money in the process.
The question is how you get there.
I'm running a 2.4c now at 3.06 on air cooling, however I am using an Alpha heat sink which is rather large.
I'm moving over to water cooling this week to see if I can pump it up a little more :)

The three main components for oc'ing this chip is the cpu, memory and motherboard.
I've found the easiest motherboards to oc this cpu are the Abit IS7 and IC7 series.
I'm using an Abit IC7-G Max3 right now.
Oc'ing the cpu on these motherboards is a snap.
Change 3 settings in BIOS and off you go.

SilverBack

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Interesting I hadn't seen that price difference hmmm
:)

EEK One Day Sale! Ends 10/28/2003 11:30 AM PST

ZL1

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2003
Originally posted by: SilverBack
Every 2.4C will do 3Ghz and save you a lot of money in the process.
The question is how you get there.
I'm running a 2.4c now at 3.06 on air cooling, however I am using an Alpha heat sink which is rather large.
I'm moving over to water cooling this week to see if I can pump it up a little more :)

The three main components for oc'ing this chip is the cpu, memory and motherboard.
I've found the easiest motherboards to oc this cpu are the Abit IS7 and IC7 series.
I'm using an Abit IC7-G Max3 right now.
Oc'ing the cpu on these motherboards is a snap.
Change 3 settings in BIOS and off you go.

building rig for a friend at this same time, ok p4c 2.4 , currently at 3.1 with stock HSF :)
P4P800 board

I'll be getting a P4C800 but I was wondering if I should get the 2.6 since its at the same price as the 2.4 I got for my friends new rig

D

ZL1

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2003

yeah, I need to think fast :)

Slogun

Platinum Member
Jul 4, 2001
Seems to me that at same price a 2.6c is the better bet over a 2.4c.

If you are not building right now, I would expect that low price will come around again and eventually lower.

You know how it is with these computer parts....

ZL1

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Slogun
Seems to me that at same price a 2.6c is the better bet over a 2.4c.

If you are not building right now, I would expect that low price will come around again and eventually lower.

You know how it is with these computer parts....

slept on it and decided I dont have the money for the whole thing now so I should just wait
I was a bit excited yesterday with the price and all so I was in one of those weird modes :)

Thanks
Dan

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
also another thing to consider...

is your ram

at 3 ghz on a 2.4C you'll be running 12 x 250

while on a 2.6c you'll be running 13 x 231

if you run 1:1 then you'll need some pc4000 with the 2.4C or pc3700 with the 2.6C

if you use the 5:4 divider, then that's a whole different story...

ZL1

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Shimmishim
also another thing to consider...

is your ram

at 3 ghz on a 2.4C you'll be running 12 x 250

while on a 2.6c you'll be running 13 x 231

if you run 1:1 then you'll need some pc4000 with the 2.4C or pc3700 with the 2.6C

if you use the 5:4 divider, then that's a whole different story...

well Ive decided on the ram long ago, pc4000 or better, Im not even thinking
because I want 1:1 and very nice results from the ram

D

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
My memory doesn't like running at 250Mhz, even at the slowest timings. :( Even though I can boot into windows at 3Ghz, the RAM will cause reboots.

ZL1

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Bateluer
My memory doesn't like running at 250Mhz, even at the slowest timings. :( Even though I can boot into windows at 3Ghz, the RAM will cause reboots.

what kind do you have ?

Thanks
Dan

nyarrgh

Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by: ZL1

don't worry about it. I bought a 2.6C two days before the "Sale". The "Sale" actually took of a huge 2 dollars off the regular price.

ZL1

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2003
Originally posted by: nyarrgh

don't worry about it. I bought a 2.6C two days before the "Sale". The "Sale" actually took of a huge 2 dollars off the regular price.

2.6 retail box for 177 ?? really ?
asking because I bought a 2.4 for a friend a week or so ago for 175 and I cant believe I would of missed the 2.6 at only $2 more

D

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
if you are set on OCing to 3GHz and no higher with either a 2.4C or a 2.6C, then the 2.4C is better b/c it takes a higher fsb to get the 2.4C to 3GHz. if two systems, one w/ a 2.4C and the other w/ a 2.6C, are both OCed to 3GHz, the 2.4C is using a higher fsb, and is thus faster. you really can't lose either way though since both are roughly the same price right now.

ZL1

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Sunny129
if you are set on OCing to 3GHz and no higher with either a 2.4C or a 2.6C, then the 2.4C is better b/c it takes a higher fsb to get the 2.4C to 3GHz. if two systems, one w/ a 2.4C and the other w/ a 2.6C, are both OCed to 3GHz, the 2.4C is using a higher fsb, and is thus faster. you really can't lose either way though since both are roughly the same price right now.

Hi

yes I know that the 2.4 will win in fsb at 3ghz, but Id like to go as high as possible :) even if it takes a TEC cooling system :)

D

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
yeah sorry...i just read the title and not the whole thread, and figured you were just going to take it to 3GHz either way. well in the case that you want to go as high as you can, its a bit of a toss up. if you go to overclockers.com and take a look at their database of OCed CPUs, you'll see that the average OC of the 2.6C is slightly better than theat of the 2.4C. if you do the math and assume you'll end up with the "average" CPU, then you'll either have a 2.4C system @ 3.32GHz and an fsb of 277mhz, or a 2.6C system @ 3.47GHz and an fsb of 267mhz. now regardless of the fact that the 2.6C has a higher average OC, the higher fsb used to get the 2.4C to its average OC probably makes up for any performance differences. like i said, its probably a toss up. and if one in fact does outperform the other, you'll only see it in benchmark numbers...you'll never notice it in any real world applications. some may argue that the different memory configuration possibilities may make a difference, but it boils down to fast memory w/ loose timings or slower memory w/ tighter timings, and again you wind up with negligible performance differences...none that you yourself will notice when playing a game or encoding files.

if anything, CPU temps may help in the decision since everything else seems to lead to a toss up. since the 2.6C is rated at a higher default speed, yet the same core voltage as the 2.4C, it may run cooler than the 2.4C at the same OCed speed.

ZL1

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2003
Thanks guys !

I think I'll be going with 2.4 since the price is good and the OC rate is good + I really like the idea of a high FSB :)
will wait util the price levels first, since 2.6 is cheaper right now Im assuming the 2.4 should drop even more, would like to grab it at 150 :)

D

Slogun

Platinum Member
Jul 4, 2001
I think I'll be going with 2.4 I really like the idea of a high FSB

Sorry, I just don't buy that logic.

You can get a 2.6 chip for the same money as a 2.4 and bring the FSB up to the same level you would have on the 2.4 chip and end up with a higher MHz system.

Of course, the higher you run your FSB, the greater chance of instability in your system.

ZL1

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2003

You can get a 2.6 chip for the same money as a 2.4 and bring the FSB up to the same level you would have on the 2.4 chip and end up with a higher MHz system.

Of course, the higher you run your FSB, the greater chance of instability in your system.

there was a second part there :)
Im expecting the prices to level and the 2.4 to drop more :)

D

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000

D

the reason you don't buy that logic is because you automatically assume the 2.6C will be just as good an OCer as the 2.4C. if you go to overclockers.com and check out the database, you'll notice that the average OC of the 2.4C is 3323mhz and that of the 2.6C is 3474mhz. a quick glance at the numbers makes you think the 2.6C system is better, when the truth is that you'll never notice the 151mhz difference in system clock in the real world, especially when you're already past the 3GHz mark. at the same time, the 2.4C maintains a 10mhz internal clock lead on the 2.6C, which translates into a 40mhz fsb difference. so the 2.4C has the edge in fsb, and the 2.6C has the edge in overall system clock. it tends to even out, no system is significantly better than the other, at least not in real world performance differences. in fact, you wouldn't even notice them.

also, you're wasting your time waiting for the price on the 2.4C to drop to $150, or even at all. it will stay where it is for some time to come. since intel's price drop, the 2.4C is the only one whose price remained unchanged. so you might as well buy now...

Slogun

Platinum Member
Jul 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Sunny129

D

the reason you don't buy that logic is because you automatically assume the 2.6C will be just as good an OCer as the 2.4C. if you go to overclockers.com and check out the database, you'll notice that the average OC of the 2.4C is 3323mhz and that of the 2.6C is 3474mhz. a quick glance at the numbers makes you think the 2.6C system is better, when the truth is that you'll never notice the 151mhz difference in system clock in the real world, especially when you're already past the 3GHz mark. at the same time, the 2.4C maintains a 10mhz internal clock lead on the 2.6C, which translates into a 40mhz fsb difference. so the 2.4C has the edge in fsb, and the 2.6C has the edge in overall system clock. it tends to even out, no system is significantly better than the other, at least not in real world performance differences. in fact, you wouldn't even notice them.

also, you're wasting your time waiting for the price on the 2.4C to drop to $150, or even at all. it will stay where it is for some time to come. since intel's price drop, the 2.4C is the only one whose price remained unchanged. so you might as well buy now...

No, the reason I don't buy the logic is because all the points you just reiterated would convince me to buy a 2.6c chip when they both cost the same and the performance is similar.....:p

Also, at overclockers.com there were 57 people listing their overclock of the 2.4 chip while only 21 people made an entry onthe 2.6 chip. Not a terribly representative sample.

Those results might also be attributable to more people rising to the challenge of trying to eek as much performance out of the lowest rated P4C chip just for the fun of it. There are no controls over, or way to categorize how stable those sytems may or may not be.

Personally, I would give more credence to your statements if you yourself had shelled out the better part of $200 on one of these chips....your sig shows you are using a P1.6.