P&Ns middle name is and

Page 1575 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
9ignJxx.png

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

I can't relate to this particularly well for two reasons:

1) My parents always used to remark/complain about how the price of stuff has gone up. I thought that was a common past-time for the older generations/elderly?

2) if my parents hadn't been the types to do (1), when confronted with evidence that inflation has actually occurred in the form of a source on google, or some inflation app etc, they would have said, "it must be wrong".

Yes, my parents were conservatives.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

The example that regularly occurs to me is - if the (privatised) rail company takes your money for a ticket, then cancels the train you were planning to get (something that happens _very_ frequently), at _best_ you can go through a very convoluted, time-consuming, process to try and claim a refund.

If you don't pay for a ticket, but take that train anyway, you are likely to face a fine and a criminal conviction, leading to a criminal record.

I'm tempted to go further - sometimes I think that 'morality' itself is a social construct, one dependent largely on the distribution of power. E.g. compare-and-contrast the opprobrium lumped on the unvaccinated (which, to be clear, I kind of agree with) and the relative lack of moral-judgements placed on those who choose to drive motorised (especially diesel) vehicles in populated areas.

Generally most moral judgements are hugely inflected with the nature of power. Things are more likely to be judged morally wrong when they adversely affect the powerful.