P&Ns middle name is and

Page 1548 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Thanks Mitch!

Those October 20 Social Security payments are just optional, right?
As are the November 1 interest payments on the US debt, things will be fine without paying interest on the debt. The US and global banking system probably won't collapse anyway.
No one 65+ needs healthcare anyway, no need for Medicare reimbursements. Or they can just pay for it all themselves.
And the government may be shut down before then anyway, so no government workers or military to pay, and other federal employees like all the air traffic controllers - they like coming in for free anyway.
Federal employees will get paid, eventually. That was a change made to the law after the last pointless Moscow Mitch government shutdown. It makes shutting down the government even more pointless as costs are still accruing but no work is getting done. Contractors will get made whole for demob-remob costs leading to even more costs with nothing to show for it. Contractor employees will get burned unless their employers decide to carry them without compensation..

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
thats not good.

the best reply I've seen is

"what, you dont have six months of savings?"
I saw that, she really sealed the deal by including "Like us poors are supposed to have somehow magically done" Paraphrasing, don't remember exactly how she put it.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
BRqXVhM.jpeg

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
the GQP, an ideology that gets distressed if all school kids get fed lunch by the school.

View attachment 50879

I qualified for free school meals when I was at school, but my parents never claimed them for fear of the stigma, because qualification was income-based. Making such programs universal avoids that problem - and frankly, they spend pennies on those meals anyway. What kind of up-tight obsessively-jealous salaried mercenary gets resentful at children getting fed?

It's really weird how full of envy conservatives so often are.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I qualified for free school meals when I was at school, but my parents never claimed them for fear of the stigma, because qualification was income-based. Making such programs universal avoids that problem - and frankly, they spend pennies on those meals anyway. What kind of up-tight obsessively-jealous salaried mercenary gets resentful at children getting fed?

It's really weird how full of envy conservatives so often are.
Way, way, back when I was a kid, even in the dark ages, they had a School Lunch Program. Heck my conservative parents figured out it was about break even to participate as to make your own lunch due to how much it was OH MY GOD, SUBSIDISED. I think it was like $.47 cents a day. Loved my meat lollipops and tuna boats. TNXS Uncle Sam. This is in high mean income suburban DC circa 60s.