P&Ns middle name is and

Page 1975 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
A49h5Gu.jpeg

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
RR is one of my go to sources for economic info. Here is what he said about inflation in the last quarter:

Companies are using inflation to price-gouge Americans – and making it worse | Robert Reich | The Guardian

Corporate profits reached a record high in the fourth quarter of last year.

The easiest explanation for record corporate profits at the same time prices remain elevated is that corporations have enough monopoly power to keep prices high.

(Note that many corporations are also shrinking the size of the products you’re buying without lowering their prices – a variant of the same thing)

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
RR is one of my go to sources for economic info. Here is what he said about inflation in the last quarter:

Companies are using inflation to price-gouge Americans – and making it worse | Robert Reich | The Guardian

The easiest explanation for record corporate profits at the same time prices remain elevated is that corporations have enough monopoly power to keep prices high.

(Note that many corporations are also shrinking the size of the products you’re buying without lowering their prices – a variant of the same thing)

I feel like this has been known for a while though. At least ever since the huge "egg shortages" a few years ago.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007

This. This is the whole fucking thing. Companies can only price gouge cause there isn't enough competition. Wages don't cause inflation, lack of competition does.