Overwatch

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Montauk#11810

I had a rollercoaster of a season 1 in competitive, excited to get cranking away on season 2 once it starts. I settled into playing primarily Genji, Junkrat and Lucio in competitive but I play all the characters in Quick Play.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I still have to figure out who I'm better off with. I've been using phara a lot and also mcree but i haven't fine tuned any other heroes.

I've added those that posted their battle tag from a page ago. Haven't had much time to get on lately but I often do quick play when I find time.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I still have to figure out who I'm better off with. I've been using phara a lot and also mcree but i haven't fine tuned any other heroes.

It's definitely good to get used to a wide array of heroes as the worst thing that can happen is your favorite hero gets countered heavily by the opposing team and you've got nothin' left to play. :eek: (For example, a good McCree can counter Pharah easily.)

Based upon what you've already mentioned, it's worth it to check out the other classes (defense, tank, and support). For those, I'd probably recommend Junkrat (defense), Roadhog (tank), Reinhardt (tank), Mercy (support), or Lucio (support). Although, I really need to caveat Reinhardt with a warning that he can be infuriating to play in pub games or even with some groups. Reinhardt is nearly useless if no one uses his shield, and I can't tell you how many times I've had people just ignore my shield and run past... even when I'm grouped with people. :confused:

You may also want to try learning some of the up-close damage dealers like Tracer or Reaper. I'd say that Reaper is the easier of the two, but both require being sneaky to be effective.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
yeah, definitely make sure you can play at least 1 class for each role with some semblance of effectiveness. A lot of times you'll join a game where all the other players have already picked their hero, and ofc you'll be missing a tank or healer (or both, lol). It's good to be flexible enough to be able to meet whatever massive gaps your team might be missing.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I almost feel like I've done a disservice for not mentioning another fun and potentially infuriating -- for the other team -- hero. It's everyone's favorite hero, sometimes referred to as "Satan", Mei! I think I need to toss in another one of those caveats here, and that's that I think Mei is really only good on certain maps, but when she's good.... she's good. One of Mei's strongest abilities is to block of the enemy team, and if you're good at timing, you can actually trap some of the enemy team in front of your wall for easy pickin's.

Where do I like playing Mei? One of my favorites where I'll almost always switch is Nepal - Village. She's so good on this map, because her wall can block the main entrance to the central courtyard, and it's not that easy to go around. There are also only two large entrances to the point, and her wall can block them too. This is extremely good if you hear a dangerous ultimate go off (McCree, Soldier:76, Roadhog, Bastion, etc.) and you want to protect your team. Another good map is Hanamura. Although, the first point is definitely more effective due to there being only two entrances into the courtyard, and one is inaccessible to most heroes.

Now, she can be a bit hard to get used to because the way she deals damage is a bit different. Her left click is a close-range freezing mist that deals minor damage and freezes after 2(?) seconds of continuous exposure. Her right click is an icicle projectile, but what makes it hard is that it has a delayed fire. You'll see most people freeze a target and then perform a right-click headshot, which kills most non-tank heroes.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I love playing Mei. She's a blast to play and once you get good at her she's incredibly survivable while dealing great damage with the right-click. I haven't played her PTR changes yet but she's definitely a blast. Plus you know you are just causing the entire other team to tilt.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
You can play the new map on the PTR now, super fun.

I think I'm finished with Quick Play though, getting thrown into matches that are already underway and the general lack of players trying to win is just unacceptable after enjoying the ruleset for Competitive Season 1. So I guess I'll stay on the PTR since Competitive Season 2 is live there. :)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
FYI, season two has released early (ahead of the planned 9/6 date) and is currently available.

This also means that the balance patch is in effect and the new map is available.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I probably am not good enough to do the competitive games but I'll try one. All I usually play is quick play.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Just recognize the meta differences - teams trying to win will usually go 2 heals+2 tank or, at the least, 2 of one of them (vs quickplay which often ends up 1+1+4). It's particularly important on defense because you need to avoid as many cheap deaths as possible and don't want a quick collapse on the point if your sole tank or sole healer gets picked.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I probably am not good enough to do the competitive games but I'll try one. All I usually play is quick play.

Just note that you have to be level 25 or higher to do Competitive Play.

EDIT:

Man, they need to do something about Mercy and Play of the Game. I've played three competitive placement games as Mercy, and I got Play of the Game each time. They said that it's based upon a real-time, behind-the-scenes point system, and they look for spikes in points. So, if a Mercy is doing what she should be doing and letting her team die to a few ultimates and then rezzing, she will go from 0 (doing nothing) to some huge number (from the multi-rez).

EDIT 2:

So, I've been mostly playing Mercy in season 2, and I think I'm at the point where I'm done pushing myself to play support. It seems that my teammates just can't kill anything, and it gets to a point where I can't keep them alive. The games seem to go a lot better when I just pick McCree. One would say that it's "juuuust like sittin' duuuhks!"

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Just note that you have to be level 25 or higher to do Competitive Play.

EDIT:

Man, they need to do something about Mercy and Play of the Game. I've played three competitive placement games as Mercy, and I got Play of the Game each time. They said that it's based upon a real-time, behind-the-scenes point system, and they look for spikes in points. So, if a Mercy is doing what she should be doing and letting her team die to a few ultimates and then rezzing, she will go from 0 (doing nothing) to some huge number (from the multi-rez).

EDIT 2:

So, I've been mostly playing Mercy in season 2, and I think I'm at the point where I'm done pushing myself to play support. It seems that my teammates just can't kill anything, and it gets to a point where I can't keep them alive. The games seem to go a lot better when I just pick McCree. One would say that it's "juuuust like sittin' duuuhks!"
Oh boo im almost level 10. I don't see what level has to do with it as it doesn't unlock any special powers or other abilities?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Oh boo im almost level 10. I don't see what level has to do with it as it doesn't unlock any special powers or other abilities?

I assume they do it to make sure that you've had enough Quick Play experience to learn the mechanics, maps, etc.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
just played a season 2 comp match where we went three rounds of kings landing before a team won. i'm wondering why we didnt end in a draw after the second completion. both teams captured all the checkpoints

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
just played a season 2 comp match where we went three rounds of kings landing before a team won. i'm wondering why we didnt end in a draw after the second completion. both teams captured all the checkpoints

Competitive on capture point, payload and hybrid maps use a time bank system. Essentially, as long as you finish your round with time left in the bank, and the scores are the same, you will get to go again. The idea is that they want to avoid ties, as they aren't considered as fun, but that does mean that these maps can go on for quite a while. Also, if you finish with under a minute in your time bank, the game will push your remaining time to one minute and also give the opposing team time equal to how much you got.

I've always liked KotH because it's a simple best-of-five setup. There's no BS situations where defense swaps to fast heroes just to hold the point to ensure that if the attackers do take it, they take it in overtime (so there's no more time on the clock).

i just played 23 quick play games and lost 22 of them

not very fun :(

Ouch... what happened in the games? I mostly play in quick play, and I can certainly tell you that I've run into my fair share of bad games. I find that you tend to get players that are either too sheepish (they sit at chokes expecting some magical situation where they can go in), they trick in to their death, or they just can't kill anything. The latter is probably the most frustrating when I'm playing a support. I consider myself a more versatile player as I'll play just about any role. I may not be as good as someone who specializes in a certain role or even a certain hero, but I think I play them fairly well. To give you an idea, I usually get around 45-50% aim on McCree. So, with the fact that I can usually perform well in a DPS role, it makes me cringe a bit when I have to support players that just can't do it well enough.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I've had some good fun with the Mystery Hero Brawl this week. It allowed me to really try out multiple Heroes I normally suck with outside of a Custom game setting, or with Bots that are as intelligent as a bag of potatoes. It feels to me like it should be a new permanent game mode, but I think that's asking way too much for Blizzard, unfortunately.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
The Halloween content is pretty cool. I only played one Dr. Junkenstein match on Easy, but I liked the concept. Very Headless Horseman from WoW questline-like.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I haven't had a chance to try the brawl yet, but as per usual, I caved and bought some boxes. I think I got all of the epic skins except for Hanzo, and I haven't gotten legendary Mercy or Junkrat yet. I really want that Mercy one! :hearteyes:

I did get the Mei highlight intro though, and I think we can all agree that it's one of the best ever. That's not much of a surprise though, because if it deals with animations, Mei has the best ones (highlight intros, emotes, etc.).

The major things that I need to get would be Mercy's skin, Junkrat's skin, Genji's intro, Hanzo's skin, and I think that's it. I have a lot of the RIP victory poses too.

Last edited:

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
Never played this game but thinking about picking it up. Any tips or tricks for a new player to get "up to speed" quickly?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Never played this game but thinking about picking it up. Any tips or tricks for a new player to get "up to speed" quickly?
It's quite fun actually. You have to be level 25 or something to play competitive so just get used to playing quick play.

CalebRockeT

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
My friend tried to convince me to buy this game, but it really seems like too much of a chore to learn all the necessary things to be competitive (or at the very least, not a liability). Plus, $40 more to put towards pizza. Amirite?