Overwatch

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The roadhog update is actually a buff. If you are hooked and had just gotten into cover it will move you to the original "hooking point" then drag you to roadhog. No longer will you sometimes get snagged on walls/pillars and ;live to tell the tale.

Ah... yeah. I see what you're saying. It'll be interesting to see how much better it makes it. I know the last time I played Roadhog, I got so frustrated at the awful hook physics. In one game, I hooked a Tracer a few times, but I could never kill her because it would drag her somewhere around me. :(

and fuck Hanzo. I can't believe they reverted the projectile change AND buffed him. Genji needed a nerf but they might have taken it too far, we'll see. Although he always should have been snagged by junkrat traps. Just like any other hero.

Well, the thing about Hanzo is that he's annoying because a lot of low- and mid-level players seem to just spam arrows at common points rather than actually fighting normally with him. I've watched some streamers that did fine with him (even after the projectile nerf) and they played normally. (That means ran around and engaged people at mid-to-close range.) I'm hoping that people will shift more toward that playstyle now that he isn't as immobile.

I'm not sure how I feel about Genji overall. His ultimate was never a huge problem in the past even though we had Zarya and Genji being played. It only became a huge deal once Ana came into play, and we started having to deal with nano-boosted Genji who is 30% faster, takes 50% less damage and deals 50% more damage. In other words, far too ridiculous. Essentially, Zen is still required as he's the only one who can outheal Genji's ultimate with his own ultimate.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I thought we were past this but I guess not. Hanzo and Widowmaker on attack. This is what frustrates me most about the game. It's not me getting killed or just having a bad day. It's knowing that our team is basically screwed already before we even start and can't do anything at all about it other than just drop or waste my time losing.

Eh, having a counter-sniper on attack isn't always a bad idea. Had one of the fastest wins I've ever had on Anubis yesterday and I was Hanzo on attack. Being able to see enemy locations is pretty valuable, and lobbing shots down that long hallway to checkpoint B can clear out a defender or two who are strafing back and forth between pillars.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I know boosting was a bit of a problem but I'm bummed about Blizz's decision to not allow people who are >500 MMR apart queue together for competitive. Some people play more than others and that translates indirectly into a higher rank. So now if one of my friends gets placed lower than me (or higher) we can't queue. Pretty shiat.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I know boosting was a bit of a problem but I'm bummed about Blizz's decision to not allow people who are >500 MMR apart queue together for competitive. Some people play more than others and that translates indirectly into a higher rank. So now if one of my friends gets placed lower than me (or higher) we can't queue. Pretty shiat.

Wasn't the issue the exact opposite of boosting? I thought the higher ranked people were using lower ranked players to reduce the group's rating so they'd get into lower ranked matches.

Blizzard did state in the Developer Update that they are aware of the potential ramifications of the change, and that they'll keep an eye on it during the PTR. What if they removed the static 500 rating rule and simply did it by leagues? Perhaps something like... "You can play with anyone in your league or the league above or below yours." It would alleviate the weirdness of the two larger leagues: bronze and grand master. Since bronze is 1-1499 and grand master is 4000 to 5000, they're large enough that it's possible for people in the same league to not even be able to group with each other.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
It wasn't so much higher ranked queuing with lower ranked (sure they might win more but the MMR increase was minimal) but more that high ranked players were making smurfs, tanking their rank and then having playing with their high ranked buddies which catapulted them into top 500, etc as the matchmaking system couldn't accurately select their opponents.

For whatever reason, the end result is the same. There is a good chance that there will be people i know that I won't be able to game with. That's pretty much the entire reason I play multiplayer games, is to make a few drinks and game it up with my friends. I don't think that there should be any artificially induced limitations or barriers to that. It's already hard enough with all the responsibilities of adult life. Blizzard doesn't do it with Arena matches in WoW. I can be ranked top 1% and still queue up with whomever I want. Isn't there an established boosting community that does it for pay, and has for years? Why should OW be different?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Well quick play is now worthless. They should have been ready to start season 2 immediately imo.
For someone who's planning to get the game this weekend, why is quick play worthless now? I don't yet have anyone to play on a team with and a co-worker I was talking to today mentioned he stopped playing because of that reason.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
For someone who's planning to get the game this weekend, why is quick play worthless now? I don't yet have anyone to play on a team with and a co-worker I was talking to today mentioned he stopped playing because of that reason.

Basically because people just don't really care in quick play anymore.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Basically because people just don't really care in quick play anymore.

It can be pretty frustrating. It also seems like the people that I'm playing with in Quick Play are either worse (lower MMR) or just screwing around compared to those from competitive. I mean... the matches just don't seem balanced at all. :eek:

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
It can be pretty frustrating. It also seems like the people that I'm playing with in Quick Play are either worse (lower MMR) or just screwing around compared to those from competitive. I mean... the matches just don't seem balanced at all. :eek:

I'll try to invite you next time I see you on. We've had a few of us grouping from here in quick play. It at least makes it tolerable.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005

It's not permanent. It's just that you've got an entire population of competitive players that don't have a venue since we are in between seasons so they are flooding QP and just goofing off. You'll still find some good games, and still be able to get a feel for how it plays but don't be surprised if you face a team of 5 Torbs and a Symettra because.... giggles

Not that it couldn't happen before, just that it's more likely till S2 starts.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It's not permanent. It's just that you've got an entire population of competitive players that don't have a venue since we are in between seasons so they are flooding QP and just goofing off. You'll still find some good games, and still be able to get a feel for how it plays but don't be surprised if you face a team of 5 Torbs and a Symettra because.... giggles

Not that it couldn't happen before, just that it's more likely till S2 starts.

I've seen some people just playing on the PTR instead since it has season 2 active.

EDIT:

I'll try to invite you next time I see you on. We've had a few of us grouping from here in quick play. It at least makes it tolerable.

Sounds good! I usually sit around for a bit after I log in to see if anyone's around to group up.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
So what am I missing about the seasons? I don't take it there is a story or anything. Glad tomorrow is Friday so I'll probably start downloading after work and I should be able to try it out tomorrow night some time.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Did you ever play WoW? Or some sort of organized FPS? It's pretty much the same as that. Competitive stats (win/loss, etc) only apply for a set period of time. Then after that they'll wipe the stats, dole out rewards based on how well you did and then you start over with the next season (with a few weeks downtime in between).

Or, think NFL or something similar.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So what am I missing about the seasons? I don't take it there is a story or anything. Glad tomorrow is Friday so I'll probably start downloading after work and I should be able to try it out tomorrow night some time.

Nah, but seasons are typically used in games to bolster player appeal. Seasons usually come with things like new maps, new characters, or new game modes, and typically include some sort of reset. For example, Diablo III has seasons, which include new drops, and sometimes new areas. That reset is an important aspect, because having to "rebuild" your standing forces players to play more.

In other words, it's a tool to keep player interest higher. The problem that we're complaining about is that since competitive is "off" until September 6, you're getting matched with people that either (a) don't care about Quick Play, (b) are just really bad, or both. I've also been matched against players that just seem really good. For example, in one of my games last night, an enemy McCree had a golden gun, which requires a decent amount of competitive play, and chances are that a player would get the gun for the character they wanted to play the most. In other words, that suggests that he plays a ton of McCree.

I usually do okay on McCree, but I had one round on Lijiang last night where I just did awful. I mean... one kill in the entire round. Amusingly enough, I switched to Genji for Night Market (I like playing Genji on that map), and proceeded to climb up to gold eliminations in just that round. o_O I'm sure I would've had even more eliminations had my group's Zarya not fired off their ultimate when I was coming back from spawn with my ultimate up... twice. :eek:

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
There is always that one round or game that for whatever reason you just fall apart. I'll wonder why we are getting steam rolled when I'm playing D.Va and then i'll look at my stats and I'll have like 600 damage and 250 blocked. In other words pathetic. Some times they are just hard countering you and a swap restores your confidence, and sometimes it's just me failing hard.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Well quick play is now worthless. They should have been ready to start season 2 immediately imo.
Heh - I was thinking something similar. Everyone is now practicing an off-character, and the matches are disorganized cluster-f*cks - ever moreso than before.

I did pretty poorly during Season 1, but at least most people seemed to be trying. :p

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
There is always that one round or game that for whatever reason you just fall apart. I'll wonder why we are getting steam rolled when I'm playing D.Va and then i'll look at my stats and I'll have like 600 damage and 250 blocked. In other words pathetic. Some times they are just hard countering you and a swap restores your confidence, and sometimes it's just me failing hard.

Well, I can say that my performance hasn't felt that great lately. I don't know what it is as "the funk" has only been a round for a few days, but I seem to be missing a lot more than normal with characters like McCree and Zenyatta. I was never at pro levels or anything with my aim, but I'm usually somewhere around 35-45% on McCree (stats screen says 42% average) or 35% on Zenyatta (stats screen says 32% average). In those games, I was maybe around 20%. :oops:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Just bought the game from battle net. Is there a limitation to how many times you can download and install it?

Currently I have a 256gb ssd and I almost bought a 1tb ssd to replace it today. Eventually sometime soon I plan on doing that. Will it count against me?

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Pretty sure there isn't. And you can just move the install directory to the new drive when you are ready. You don't have to re-install the whole the thing.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Cool I think I'll go for a ocz trident 150 960gb ssd as my current one will be filled up. I mainly just install drivers and apps on there and games on the 1tb platter drive. Tired of having to monitor my main drive in fear of filling it up.

Battle tag is sze5003. No mic yet but I played the tutorial and a few quick play rounds. Don't really have a favorite hero but I did will with phara and widomaker.

On ultra I get 100+ fps and on epic around 80-90, but I don't see a big difference with epic. Game is a lot of fun, I still have quite a few things to learn.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
All of Blizzard's recent games require you to login, which means they couldn't care less how many times or where you install it. Most people use the Battle.Net launcher anyway, and if you move the game, just go to the Battle.Net icon at the top left > Settings. Click Game Install/Update, and choose "Use a Different Folder" for Overwatch. Although, it may realize that the game is no longer there after you move it, and it may make it even easier than that. I think I've had it give me pop-ups like "Hey, we found this game!"

Battle tag is sze5003.

You need to add the pound and the numbers. For example, mine is aikouka#1679

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
All of Blizzard's recent games require you to login, which means they couldn't care less how many times or where you install it. Most people use the Battle.Net launcher anyway, and if you move the game, just go to the Battle.Net icon at the top left > Settings. Click Game Install/Update, and choose "Use a Different Folder" for Overwatch. Although, it may realize that the game is no longer there after you move it, and it may make it even easier than that. I think I've had it give me pop-ups like "Hey, we found this game!"

You need to add the pound and the numbers. For example, mine is aikouka#1679
The game was only about 7gb to download and didn't take long. I would most likely do a clean install of Windows anyway when I get the new drive.

Oh and the correct battle tag is sze5003#1357