Overwatch

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Doubt it. Also your talk of lawsuits means nothing. Making software aimbots and wallhacks for games are completely legal. To both make and use. All any company can do is ban the users of those products from their products.

Completely false in the united states. DMCA has a special cause of action for this. Not to mention making unauthorized derivative works is copyright infringement. Not to mention most states have restitution laws which could theoretically cover this. Also tortious interference with a business contract aka tortious inducement to breach contract, may be available in certain forums. Trademark dilution is available as well. Unfair competition under the Lanham act. Unfair competition under certain state laws, namely California. There might even be a case under the CFAA and the new Defend Trade Secrets federal trade secrets act depending on what info they take from unwitting users / Blizzard via behind the scenes data collection in their hack programs. If there are patents in play we start getting into that realm too.

But yeah talk of lawsuits sure was totally pie in the sky, yup, definitely wont ever happen since its totally legal:
https://games.slashdot.org/story/16...rwatch-cheat-maker-for-copyright-infringement

Wait

Last edited:

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Apparently, the next hero will be Sombra (that's what the community seem to think so far). That's because Blizzard posted a picture on their Twitter which appears to be Sombra's rifle. If that's the case, she'd be confirmed to be a 'Support Sniper' (or long range, if anything; even if it doesn't involve an actual sniper rifle per se).

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
I'm doing horrible in the placement matches. being teamed up with teams far worse than during quick play on a consistent basis, wtf?

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
I'm doing horrible in the placement matches. being teamed up with teams far worse than during quick play on a consistent basis, wtf?

Ditto. I have a 75% win rate in quick-play matches, but in my 9 placement matches so far, we've lost 7. One due to a person leaving/disconnecting after 2 wins. That's the only game I played that seemed to go Best-of-5?

I'm pretty casual, so I don't know all the rules, but it does seem weird.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Ditto. I have a 75% win rate in quick-play matches, but in my 9 placement matches so far, we've lost 7. One due to a person leaving/disconnecting after 2 wins. That's the only game I played that seemed to go Best-of-5?

I'm pretty casual, so I don't know all the rules, but it does seem weird.

my ranked level is now 42... playing with a bunch of scrubs that talk trash when they lose... this game's community is real hit or miss. it's can be as bad as assholes in L4D2

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
my ranked level is now 42... playing with a bunch of scrubs that talk trash when they lose... this game's community is real hit or miss. it's can be as bad as assholes in L4D2

like most multiplayer competitive games

solo queue = very hit & miss with teams

group up with people you know = more fun & focused on playing as a team

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
My placement matches were terrible. Only 3 wins in 10 matches with very little teamwork. I ended up getting placed at rank 38 or 39.

I've managed to rank up to 48 and should still keep climbing.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
My only beef right now is with people leaving ranked matches.

We had someone leave last night and still won with 5v6. Even though we won, we received almost 0 points. It was sooooo disappointing.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
My ranked is at 50, but I can't seem to go much higher. I think someone described this as "ELO Hell" as you get stuck in a quagmire of poor-performing players, and even if you're better, you can't make up for your team's deficiencies.

Honestly though... I don't like playing competitive much. Now that "avoid this player" is gone, I'd rather just leave a match if I don't like the people that I'm playing with. I was in a competitive match the other day, and a couple people sat there talking about their latest escapades at a titty bar. At one point, one of them says, "kill the Bastion", and I walk out of a side room only to be immediately mowed down by said Bastion. I responded with, "it would be helpful if you said where he was...." Of course, I knew where he was at that point, but the person responded with something like, "Where Bastion is. He's stationary! HUR-DUR" :| This sort of "teamwork" really irks me, because it isn't helpful. I mean... it's not like I was planning on leaving any member of their team alive, so telling me to kill the Bastion isn't helpful. Telling me where it is so I can kill it is helpful.

Frankly, if I was in Quick Play, I would've just left at that point. Same as the one time when I saw that I was the only person in team voice, so I asked them if they could use it. I got some comment like, "We're in a 5-group HUR-DUR!" If they won't play as a full team, why should I waste my time playing with them? During Quick Play, it's not uncommon for me to check team voice, see that I'm the only one in it, and leave the match.

We had someone leave last night and still won with 5v6. Even though we won, we received almost 0 points. It was sooooo disappointing.

Yeah, regardless of who leaves, the winner's gains are dropped to something like 15% of what they would normally be, and the loser still suffers from the same drop as if the person had stayed. Essentially, if you're willing to take the leaver mark and you're losing, you can "punish" the winner by leaving.

They did recently implement a feature to make it so accidental/unintentional leaves (e.g. Internet/power drops for a second) didn't penalize the leaver so much. In the past, if that happened, the person that left got a loss regardless of whether their team won. So, in other words, if you accidentally/unintentionally left your game, it was better to just stay out and do something else. Supposedly, this has been fixed with a 60 second timer. Although, if a person's PC BSODs, they won't get back into Overwatch before 60 seconds is up unless they have a fairly decent machine (better not have your OS on a HDD)!

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000

Yah, the leaver penalties are insane. Its fun when someone leaves just before you win because they are salty about losing. They're doing it to screw you over in MMR gain. The whole coinflip this is kinda BS too and the overtime mechanic is easily exploitable. I haven't played competitive much past the placement rounds. Think I'm 48-49 right now, but I'm kinda waiting for them to get some of this stuff sorted out before I sink a ton of time into it. Especially that mmr penalty as the winner.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
if anyone wants to play w/ me and queue up with me in competitive lmk my username is same as here - "evident". at least you guys seem to actually want to work together lol.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
if anyone wants to play w/ me and queue up with me in competitive lmk my username is same as here - "evident". at least you guys seem to actually want to work together lol.

What's your gamertag?

Nevermind... found you via email.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I was hooked on this game until the competitive mode came out, that cured me! It's fun but the people tend to be really irritating. I got ranked at level 53 to start and got to 54 but have run into too many complainers and annoying people in competitive mode. Going back to quick play doesn't really interest me either at this point... on to the next game!

Last edited:

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I don't even want to touch competitive after what you guys are saying and what I've read as well. I'll stick to quick play. I play this to have fun, not to be serious.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Comp isn't too bad. It's nice when you want to try and get some good team bases matches in. Sure, you'll get a few pills from time to time but in my exp it's more rare than not. And now that Comp is separate from quick you can actually play quick like it was meant to be played

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
What's your gamertag?

Nevermind... found you via email.

Great teaming up with you guys last night - I think the trick to this game is to find people to find matches with.

my experience w/ queueing up solo was much different (and worse on a consistent basis)

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Great teaming up with you guys last night - I think the trick to this game is to find people to find matches with.

my experience w/ queueing up solo was much different (and worse on a consistent basis)

Definitely. I've played 3 solo queues today and have lost all 3. It's brutal.

codyray10

Apr 14, 2008
I'll probably be on tonight to play some. Feel free to add me, revision#11924. I've only played a handful of comp matches, I think I'm level 46 atm.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Just sent you guys a friend request. My tag is HotChicken#1828.

FYI, my ranking has suffered greatly today. Not sure I will ever make it out of this hell hole now. If you start to solo queue and drop I'd suggest you hop out and wait to team up. The level of play in the high 30s is.... not good.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
yeah, I don't solo queue for Comp. Its just asking for trouble. I don't mind (actually really enjoy) quick play so if no one is around I go that route.

CurrentlyPissed

Feb 14, 2013
Currently sitting at Rank 62. Game is getting a bit repetitive again. It gets fun, but the game has such a lack of community or a way to find a community and friends. It's not going to last. You spend maybe 5 solid minutes with someone, none of which is talking. It's hard to add anyone you may actually like to play with because you never know what they are actually even like.

Game needs chat rooms bad, and fast. At the minimum. LFG channels, etc.

Feel free to add me WhiteStar#1574

Don't take it personally but if you are below rank 50, not going to group competitive with you. Just too high risk. I'll play QM with you though <3.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I get it. What I've found in the game is that if I solo queue I get steam rolled. If I group with just one other person my win/loss rate is so much better. It's ridiculous to be honest and completely unfun. I've heard that is mainly a problem in the lower ranks though so unfortunately I'm just stuck in purgatory this season.

jimrawr

Mar 4, 2003
Currently sitting at Rank 62. Game is getting a bit repetitive again. It gets fun, but the game has such a lack of community or a way to find a community and friends. It's not going to last. You spend maybe 5 solid minutes with someone, none of which is talking. It's hard to add anyone you may actually like to play with because you never know what they are actually even like.

Game needs chat rooms bad, and fast. At the minimum. LFG channels, etc.

Feel free to add me WhiteStar#1574

Don't take it personally but if you are below rank 50, not going to group competitive with you. Just too high risk. I'll play QM with you though <3.

Just join the reddit discord channel for overwatch.. has exactly what you're looking for.