[Overview] Ryzen CPU & AM4 Mainboard Lineup

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
You know enough about CPUs to understand that Broadwell WILL have higher TDP. Disable 256-bit AVX and look at tdp then. Going to bet it will be 95W too, with Turbo clock too, making the clocks between 1800X and 6900k virtually identical.

So, 4.2Ghz it is?

I think that Zen will OC more than 4.3GHz, but OC will be useless, because of XFR. Just set TDP limit at 150-160W or higher (and an adeguate cooler) and all core turbo probabily will exceed 4GHz, with peak of 4.5-4.6GHz in single thread loads...

EDIT: for the first part... Mean blender clock of 6900K was 3.5GHz and blender is not an heavy AVX2 load. An overvolted Zen managed to draw less than stock 6900K. SO yes: i think that Zen will overclock higher than 6900K...

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
I think that Zen will OC more than 4.3GHz, but OC will be useless, because of XFR.
The only evidence of XFR working we have seen is 100Mhz over stock single core turbo bin ^^
Just set TDP limit at 150-160W
To paraphrase The Stilt: "What TDP limits?"
EDIT: for the first part... Mean blender clock of 6900K was 3.5GHz and blender is not an heavy AVX2 load.
Precisely my point, they are matched in power consumption on non-heavy loads.
An overvolted Zen managed to draw less than stock 6900K.
You still have 0 evidence it was overvolted. Besides, should i remind you that stock Haswell draws more power than stock 6900k in everything but overclocks better?

We will see how it overclocks in reality fairly soon. But you are still overrating XFR, that much i am certain of.

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
You still have 0 evidence it was overvolted. Besides, should i remind you that stock Haswell draws more power than stock 6900k in everything but overclocks better?
I don't remember where i saw this, but 3.6Ghz base clock, points to lower consumption at 3.4GHz.

Haswell is 22nm vs BWE on 14nm and the first is not known for high efficiency at low loads/clocks (see 15W HSW that ties with 15W XV in cinebench). Broadwell was mobile first, so i am not surprised that it draws less power at stock and low loads...

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
so i am not surprised that it draws less power at stock and low loads...
Point being: Broadwell overclocks way way worse.

Anyways, looks like we have our LN2 results in and yes, Zen looks to overclock about as well as Broadwell. Still the best Cinebench eight core chip at least until Skylake-X.

Reactions: lightmanek

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
Point being: Broadwell overclocks way way worse.

Anyways, looks like we have our LN2 results in and yes, Zen looks to overclock about as well as Broadwell. Still the best Cinebench eight core chip at least until Skylake-X.
Overclock worse because broadwell was more optimized toward low power. I will not be surprised if bw is made with HDL library to draw less at low clocks...

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
The only evidence of XFR working we have seen is 100Mhz over stock single core turbo bin ^^

Hard to draw any real conclusions unless you know more about the cooler it was using, but I don't think most were suspecting more than 200 MHz, especially if it doesn't adjust voltage.

If it gets an extra 100 MHz from the stock cooler, that's not too bad, but I can't see many running with the stock cooler around here, or at least not those who buy the X parts.

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
If it gets an extra 100 MHz from the stock cooler, that's not too bad, but I can't see many running with the stock cooler around here, or at least not those who buy the X parts.
Reportedly it also does not overclock beyond 100-200Mhz over stock on air or water anyways.

Juanrga was wrong, but so were his opponents, in the end.
Overclock worse because broadwell was more optimized toward low power. I will not be surprised if bw is made with HDL library to draw less at low clocks...
I guess Zen was on UHDL, then. Or the FO4 is irrelevant.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
No idea what kind of stock levels they had, but everything is already gone.

Looks like the hype train might be turning into a money train.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016

It wasn't in stock dude... They are just listings.

CPUS are up for preorder right now though. NEWEGG

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Ah, I had assumed they were still keeping stock for purposes of pre-order. Doesn't really pay to take more pre-orders than you can hope to satisfy.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Lol, of course my Premier account lapsed. Time to twiddle my thumbs while I wait for them to approve my renewal.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Okay that was surprisingly quick. Just placed my preorder for a Crosshair VI Hero + Ryzen R7 1800X
Preorder_zpsyfsscglh.png

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
Reportedly it also does not overclock beyond 100-200Mhz over stock on air or water anyways.

Juanrga was wrong, but so were his opponents, in the end.

I guess Zen was on UHDL, then. Or the FO4 is irrelevant.

With the transistors count and the area, it's possible...

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015

Oh boy.. and Intel is preparing to counter it and is now in fear... Because VIA is preparing their attack on the lowest tier (Atom) and Qualcomm on their Modem bussiness.

Seems that AMD will have a winning streak right now. Ryzen is the 201X K8 that was succesful.

And considering that Raven Ridge is a improvement over this Ryzen since it adds a GPU and they needs to improve their efficiency... Oh my.

BTW, seems that I go B350 MSI and the Ryzen 5 1600.

An hexa is OK for the needs (virtual Machine)

Last edited: