[Overview] Ryzen CPU & AM4 Mainboard Lineup

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I'll wait until everything is finally out. Not that I will be building a new system anytime soon.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
ASUS Crosshair VI Hero and the Asrock motherboards are at the top of my list right now.

I want that max OC...

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
More phases isn't always better. Asus' 8+2/8+2+2 AM3+ motherboard generally did a better job overclocking than ASRock's 12+2 Extreme9

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I heard 8 phases was more than enough for water/air cooling.

Enough? You done triggered me, son. Enough is for peasants. I am a free man! Overkill is a requirement for my next motherboard. That Crosshair VI Hero having a baker's dozen of USB ports on the back is sending me the right message: enough is for peasants!

In all seriousness, the ASUS offering seems to be a safe bet to not limit overclocking. The single m.2 slot is kind of annoying, though.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
Some MSI boards have now popped up:

hFumbDB.jpg

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
Looks just slightly higher than Z270. I mean, sure, X370 is pretty bad even in comparison to Z270 so it makes no sense, but come on, if Ryzen is as good as everyone right now thinks it is, these prices make perfect sense.

EDIT: Also, where are the ITX boards dammit.

Mar 10, 2006
Looks just slightly higher than Z270. I mean, sure, X370 is pretty bad even in comparison to Z270 so it makes no sense, but come on, if Ryzen is as good as everyone right now thinks it is, these prices make perfect sense.

The board prices are higher likely because the AMD boards won't move in anywhere close the kinds of volumes that the Intel Z270 ones will. To make the venture worthwhile for the mobo makers, they probably need to charge a little more.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
Some MSI boards have now popped up:

hFumbDB.jpg
Man, $160 is the cheapest x370. Seems kind of high.. I hope one of the other good manufacturers can do better.

The board prices are higher likely because the AMD boards won't move in anywhere close the kinds of volumes that the Intel Z270 ones will. To make the venture worthwhile for the mobo makers, they probably need to charge a little more.

Eh... They are new, ,so there is easily at least a 10% early adopters tax on there. You cannot directly compare them directly to older intel boards without taking that into consideration.

Last edited:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
But they're "mainstream" -- as long as they are "mainstream," it doesn't matter what the actual pricing is! :p

Man, $160 is the cheapest x370. Seems kind of high..

The X boards aren't mainstream, they're marketed as enthusiast and unless you're running SLI/CF you can just get the B boards (which incidentally are marketed as mainstream) which still allow you to overclock. It's just the A boards that you want to stay away from. As long as there are some B boards that support > 2400 MHz memory, there isn't a lot of reason to get an enthusiast board for most people.

Reactions: Doom2pro

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
The X boards aren't mainstream, they're marketed as enthusiast and unless you're running SLI/CF you can just get the B boards (which incidentally are marketed as mainstream) which still allow you to overclock. It's just the A boards that you want to stay away from. As long as there are some B boards that support > 2400 MHz memory, there isn't a lot of reason to get an enthusiast board for most people.
Yah, but I kind of wanted to play around with my 480 and 470 in xfire. I also heard that the xfr only works with the x370, but that is at best a rumor.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002

Come on, the X370 isn't that bad compared to the Z270, heck, it even has things the Z270 don't.

I do expect them to charge as high as they think they will get away with, just like anything else that is in demand.
The mobo are now pretty much feature parity as well, so, economics of scale plays a roll in this as well, as was mentioned.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
Come on, the X370 isn't that bad compared to the Z270, heck, it even has things the Z270 don't.

I do expect them to charge as high as they think they will get away with, just like anything else that is in demand.
The mobo are now pretty much feature parity as well, so, economics of scale plays a roll in this as well, as was mentioned.

Yah, I didn't understand that part. How is loli quantifying that the x370 bad?! By what metric is it bad?

I agree. There is always an early adopters fee for this type of thing. They will milk people as much as they think they can get away with, and then after a few months the prices will settle down.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
We don't even know what XFR actually is, anyway.

I thought it was basically just automatic overclock based on cooling solution, e.g. if it detects its sitting at 30 degrees it will automatically boost higher within some TDP range. I thought I read it in another post here where someone explained it, but perhaps they were just referring to a rumor. A quick Google search brings up a techPowerUp article that states basically that, where XFR is an automatic OC if the cooling is good enough.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
I thought it was basically just automatic overclock based on cooling solution, e.g. if it detects its sitting at 30 degrees it will automatically boost higher within some TDP range. I thought I read it in another post here where someone explained it, but perhaps they were just referring to a rumor. A quick Google search brings up a techPowerUp article that states basically that, where XFR is an automatic OC if the cooling is good enough.
that's what we thought, but someone here, presumably with inside info, said we were making bad assumptions.

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
No EATX boards with water-capable chipsets??? Bah.

I'll wait for the ASUS ultra super crosshair vi formula zxr platinum oc epic extreme AM4+ board I guess... because brand rep means everything (obviously)

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
Like PCI-E 2.0 lanes.
By what metric is it bad?
By providing PCI-E 2.0 lanes in 2017. I mean, it uses, what, 8 PCI-E 3.0 lanes from CPU. If the theory of Naples having 128 PCI-E 3.0 lanes is right, it has to.
The Stilt's hint gives me a discouraged expectation that few of us will be happy to learn what XFR actually is.