Overclocking A Pentium D 915

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Interesting solution but I don't know if that will solve the issue. Is there any technical explanation why this would or would not help.

PS: Cutting back on spending...Saving to get a Conroe...;)

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Cheex
Interesting solution but I don't know if that will solve the issue. Is there any technical explanation why this would or would not help.

PS: Cutting back on spending...Saving to get a Conroe...;)

Well, since your onboard Sata controller starts getting confused by the high FSBs, and the Pata controller doesn't suffer the same fate, it's reasonable to guess that a PCI Sata might have a similar ability :)

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
So...what is really causing the problem?
Is it a bus speed problem such as that of the PCI and PCIe bus speeds?

Also...If i use a controller won't i lose speed and performance?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Cheex
So...what is really causing the problem?
Is it a bus speed problem such as that of the PCI and PCIe bus speeds?

Also...If i use a controller won't i lose speed and performance?

Well, without digging through the pages related to what mobo you have, there are a couple of possibilities, neither of which has much relevance since you have already narrowed it down to : high fsb = sata goes flaky.

(1)- You have chipset-integrated Sata controller. (The P965 has a Sata component in it) At X FSB, it flakes out on you.

(2)- You have a discrete Sata controller chip on the mobo, attached to the PCI bus to interface with your chipset. (Not sure if this applies to you, but I have a PCI-resident Sata 3.0/NCQ on the mobo I have, the lowly MSI P965 Neo2) At X FSB, it flakes out on you.

As to the cause of the problem, if high FSB causes it to crap out, it means of course that the bus attached to the Sata controller (Chipset or discrete) is raising with your OC. Depending on your bios, you may be able to do something about it, but it really depends on the board. This is why locking PCI/PCIe/AGP/etc is so useful when overclocking by large margins.

As to the PCI-based Sata controller, I've actually been pleasantly surprised with their throughput. It won't be as fast as a chipset-integrated Sata 3.0/NCQ controller+drive, but it should be more than adequate. As a matter of fact, unless you have a really fast drive, you may not even notice the difference. And if you have a crappy choice of Sata controllers like I have (P965 integrated, or Jmicron NCQ) .. it may actually be an IMPROVEMENT :)

YMMV. But for such a cheap investment, it holds interesting potential. Some PCI cards are remarkably resilient to high FSBs.

One last thing, before you switch your boot drive to the PCI sata controller, be sure and install the drivers in Windows, or you will probably Bsod/Boot Cycle. That is, if you decide to give it a shot.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
LoL .. do a Yahoo or Google search on 'Jmicron problems' .. you'll see thousands and thousands of pages with poor people suffering with those pieces of garbage. I'm using one, took the beta 1.17.04 driver to make it actually perform better than 1mb/sec. Of course, if the thing isn't even detecting your drive, it's a FSB/chipset problem, not a driver issue of course.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
In the motherboard reviews on AT it was stated that the Foxconn board had this OCing problem with P4 chips (Pentium D's too).

So i don't know if it's worth it at this point to spend more money to solve this problem. If there isn't anything that can be done about it then i'll just wait until i get a Conroe (which i'm TRYING to save for...geez).

I just wanna still squeeze as much as i can out of this CPU.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Yeah I know.

Everything is C2D now....They don't care about us little guys (Pentium D) anymore....:(