Outlook 365 - Local Software versus Server - Sync Settings?

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
My wife is using Outlook 365, she has a local installed copy on her laptop (including an outlook.pst file) and she also uses a web based version sometimes when travelling or on other devices. I typically think of this as two different ways to get to the same server, and if you were to delete an email by using either program, that file would simply be gone.

Wondering if we can set the locally installed version to synchronize as a "download only"? In the end the idea is that if she deletes something through the webmail, then changes her mind about it, it'll still be available on her laptop (assuming of course the laptop was given a chance to do the synch process and grab that email).

I've been looking for hours, and am just not finding out. Any help is appreciated! Autoarchive might be a method of doing this if the synch settings aren't that simple.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
I may be misunderstanding your question, but I think you can get her laptop's outlook.pst file to act as an archive independent of the web-based email server by using POP rather than IMAP to connect the laptop's outlook to the email account. If the email account in question is a Microsoft one (i.e. outlook.com or hotmail.com) then the outlook connection may be Microsoft Exchange which may be difficult (or impossible) to change to POP (I haven't tried).

Reactions: tracerbullet

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
Thanks, that seems like a good idea, and yeah I know what you are saying. I wasn't however able to make it work, mostly I'm sure with my inexperience with Office 365 (I used to be pretty good w/ the much earlier versions back when I built a new rig every 6 months or so) or because it was indeed Microsoft Exchange.

I set up an Autoarchive that seems to be working. Silly workaround for a silly problem, but I think it'll do what she wants.