Outlander and Camelot

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Anyone watch these 2 shows?

I watched the 1st episode of each one last night and they didn't really draw me in, although I think I liked Camelot a little more.

Wondering if they get better and worth it to keep watching?

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I have watched Outlander from the beginning. At first I didn't like it as much but it has really grown on me. My wife says it does a good job sticking to the book series.

This season was way better than the last one.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Can't speak to Camelot but Outlander can be interesting if you look at it from a historical perspective. For example I know next to nothing about Scottish history so I enjoy looking up a lot of the references.

However that said, a lot of the plot revolves around interpersonal relationships so it has the air of a soap opera about it. Just like Battlestar Galactica is primarily a soap opera set in space, this is one set in 18th century Scotland. There is some action but it is mostly drama.

Personally I've enjoyed but it really depends on what you're looking for.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
My wife watches Outlander and she enjoys it. I think she mentioned that it's based on a book series that she read. Anyway she likes it but the few times I watched it it wasn't my cup of tea. Like Charmonium mentioned there is a lot of drama.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I watched both. If I had to pick one, I'd choose Outlander, but only because I didnt like the actor they chose for Arthur in Camelot. Both shows do get better as they go, but the problem with Camelot is that it was cancelled after 1 season, and it ended on a cliffhanger.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I might have to revise what I said earlier. I just watched this week's episode and it brutal, graphic and completely unpredictable. It was a solid hour of tension and suspense. I think the season finale is next week and they set it up perfectly.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Love Outlander. The photography and sets are amazing. Acting is very good.

It is based off what some describe as a Harlequin romance novel though... I found a few episodes on the slow side.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I watched both. If I had to pick one, I'd choose Outlander, but only because I didnt like the actor they chose for Arthur in Camelot. Both shows do get better as they go, but the problem with Camelot is that it was cancelled after 1 season, and it ended on a cliffhanger.

yeah, not liking the actor who plays Arthur. Didn't realize it was cancelled. just watched episode 2 tonight and it was a bit more interesting. probabl y shouldn't continue.

I want to give Outlander a chance yet since I love Scotland (and Ireland), the music, and the scenery.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
yeah, not liking the actor who plays Arthur. Didn't realize it was cancelled. just watched episode 2 tonight and it was a bit more interesting. probabl y shouldn't continue.

I want to give Outlander a chance yet since I love Scotland (and Ireland), the music, and the scenery.

By the end of the season Camelot was pretty good. Kinda surprised it got cancelled. Outlander should have you hooked by the second or 3rd episode. I actually thought it was a TV series based on the Outlander movie, so the first episode I was in WTF mode, but most people would probably be hooked by the first or second episode. Its a fairly manly romantic drama.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Outlander is back for their second season. It premiered last night so if you missed it you should be able to catch up on-demand or via "other" channels.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I did end up liking Outlander. Was very good imo.

I ended up liking Camelot too and was disappointed it only had 1 season.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Vacactioned all throughout Scotland last year.

I know enough about Scottish history...and their wicked booze.

No need to watch a stupid time traveling soap opera show.
Camelot got cancelled. No need to watch that either. Rather play my guitar.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Vacactioned all throughout Scotland last year.

I know enough about Scottish history...and their wicked booze.

No need to watch a stupid time traveling soap opera show.
Camelot got cancelled. No need to watch that either. Rather play my guitar.

Sounds like there is no need for you to post on this thread. Yet, here you are.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I did end up liking Outlander. Was very good imo.

I ended up liking Camelot too and was disappointed it only had 1 season.
Yeah. It's quite good. All of the actors nail their parts. It's one of the few shows I watch where I feel like I'm a part of the story and don't constantly get bounced back to reality because of bad acting, plot holes, suspension of disbelief, etc. Personally, I'd put it at least on a par with GoT.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Outlander premieres here tonight... can't wait. From the spoilers I read, it's going to be an amazing season. Hope it gets renewed because the storyline coming up, according to the novels, is crazy.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
i watch outlander and its pretty good. the man rape scenes were brutal and i had to leave the room.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
i watch outlander and its pretty good. the man rape scenes were brutal and i had to leave the room.

It was pretty interesting stuff... Aside from Pulp Fiction, I had never witnessed such things on TV.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Holy shit, what a start -- as in first 5 minutes -- to the second season of Outlander!

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Outlander premieres here tonight... can't wait. From the spoilers I read, it's going to be an amazing season. Hope it gets renewed because the storyline coming up, according to the novels, is crazy.

Might have to give it a try again, I think we watched the first 4 or so episodes of the first season and the wife even lost interest att.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Might have to give it a try again, I think we watched the first 4 or so episodes of the first season and the wife even lost interest att.

The wife lost interest? I'd have expected you to considering the fine male asses on the show for view.

P.S. Turns out Catriona Balfe was a Victoria's Secret model, speaks Irish Gaelic and French. Pretty impressive...