Outkast - America's Greatest Band

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Originally posted by: werk
It's a Slate article, you morons.

Forgive my ignorance, but what does that mean? Is Slate like the laughing stock of the industry?
No, Slate is a very good online news/opinion magazine that often (but not always, like the Onion) posts satire. Anyways, the point is is that the reaction the article had here is that which the author intended.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
It's a Slate article, you morons.

Forgive my ignorance, but what does that mean? Is Slate like the laughing stock of the industry?
No, Slate is a very good online news/opinion magazine that often (but not always, like the Onion) posts satire. Anyways, the point is is that the reaction the article had here is that which the author intended.

Ah so he was clowing around and wicktron thought he was serious:)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Ridiculous. I've barely heard of them. Critics say things like this to bother people.

In fact I can't say with certainty I've heard a song by them. Perhaps I have but I can't identify one off the top of my head.

Zerohm

Sep 8, 2000
I've listened to Outkast since their first album and I have mixed emotions about their recent success. Yeah, they're great but all most people know are Ms. Jackson and So Fresh and So Clean.

If you want to listen to some KICK A55 hip hop, (Real Hip Hop, not Hot Boys, or Puffy) go get Outkast's first 3 albums.

Southernplayalisticadilliacmuzac
ALTiens
Aquemini

These are three of the best albums beginning to end I've ever heard. Stankonia is pretty good too. The new one hasn't grown on me yet but Stankonia didn't at first either.

"Cooler than a polar bear's toenails, oh hell, there he go again talkin that shi!, bent."

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
OSI (Office of Strategic Influence) is a much better "band". These guys are real musicians and the drummer wins awards for being the best drummer. These guys are probably one of the greatest, in reality.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK
OSI (Office of Strategic Influence) is a much better "band". These guys are real musicians and the drummer wins awards for being the best drummer. These guys are probably one of the greatest, in reality.

rolleye.gif

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
yes, the roots are great live. they are probably the best group ive ever seen live. for those unfamiliar with the roots, think of hip hop lyrics, without the bling bling and iced out cars, being played by a band. im talking drum's, keyboards, and guitars. amazing show.

outkast's new cd is good. ive enjoyed outkast also from their first album, and i enjoy everything they do. they detract from the norm of hip hop, and infuse more jazzy-type beats and a more southern funk feel, all while staying true to their roots. they dont brag about how much money they got, or how many diamond carats they have in their ears. this new cd, is probably the best album ive heard all year. its different, its not traditional hip hop, but the lyrics are good, and the beats even better. andre 3000's cd is the one that gets the most play in my cd player, as it is on a whole new level, he took strange beats and vocals, and made them into a great album.

and lol @ the guy who keeps pimping OSI. i see you in every one of these type of music threads and you are always pimping them. im not going to knock your personal music tastes, but IMO, OSI is just guys from an even sorrier band joined together to form an even more sorry band. to each his own i suppose. oh and by the way, save yourself the retort, its too early in the morning for me, and besides, nothing you can say will change my opinion on them. even if you asked me to listen to one of their songs 20 times in a row while doing a pound of blow. kthxbye.

teckmaster

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2000
Outkast has never been a band. They are a group of artists. The band is the guys you don't see playing the music for outkast to do their thing to.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
Originally posted by: teckmaster
Outkast has never been a band. They are a group of artists. The band is the guys you don't see playing the music for outkast to do their thing to.
yeah. i agree, i wouldnt go as far as calling outkast a band either. but as someone mentioned, this article is satire i suppose, so i guess it makes sense.

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
well andre plays guitar on his record.
outkast isnt a group of artists...its 2 guys.
and no outkast has never had a song that has the line pocket full of cash and big ol ass.
youre obviously mistaken.
they are the best Rap / hip hop group.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
i believe he was referring to the guys who provide the instruments and play them for outkast, that is what he meant by the group comment. of course, the face and the history of outkast is that its 2 guys: andre 3000 and big boi.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
Originally posted by: ElFenix
an outkast song is being played on rock radio :confused:
which one? is it old or new? its prolly 'hey ya', because it has guitars.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
I wouldn't walk across the street to see them for free!

What if you were carrying a shotgun, and needed to get within effective range?

- M4H

oh now THAT'S funny
rolleye.gif

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: geno

- M4H

oh now THAT'S funny
rolleye.gif

Methinks you missed the whole part about the credibility of MSN Slate being about on the level with The Onion. :p

- M4H

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: geno

- M4H

oh now THAT'S funny
rolleye.gif

Methinks you missed the whole part about the credibility of MSN Slate being about on the level with The Onion. :p

- M4H

What's that got to do with wanting to shoot someone who makes music you don't like?

ThaPerculator

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
They're good, but I like Maroon 5 better. Wonderful live band.

Uhh... ok... lets like a band who completely steals songs from another band (jamiroquai) who stole the occasional song from stevie wonder....

you know why u think they're catchy? cause you've heard the same chord progressions in a buncha stevie wonder stuff...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: anxi80
Originally posted by: ElFenix
an outkast song is being played on rock radio :confused:
which one? is it old or new? its prolly 'hey ya', because it has guitars.

that is what i am asking!

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Outkast may not be your style of music (I have about 4 of their songs in my playlist....many of their others I don't care for).

However they are pretty good writers and reinvent the music they play as well as their look each time....you have to respect that.

Most bands do the cookie cutter thing, copy the current favorite and just change the lyrics for each album and move around the chord progressions.

Most people go for catchy music not original music.