Our Vets deserve better than this....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I think it is worth noting that this facility is stated to closed and moved by 2011 by the last round of brac.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I would say no they don't. You don't have to pay the Mujahadeen anything, they fight for free and eat falafel bread and water almost exclusivly. No fancy medivacs, USO, 30 days paid vacation, etc either. If we had something worth fighting over I would too. We need to be getting away from this mercenary Army full of underachievers our pols can use and abuse and back to the basics defense full of people who want to be there for the right reasons (Defense). You don't do that by offering craddle to grave care and benefits. Because wages are so good in USA, Maybe you should provide your own weapon and body armor too. I guess that would sorta put a bit of a damper on all this globe trotting.

nullzero

Jan 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Zebo
I would say no they don't. You don't have to pay the Mujahadeen anything, they fight for free and eat falafel bread and water almost exclusivly. No fancy medivacs, USO, 30 days paid vacation, etc either. If we had something worth fighting over I would too. We need to be getting away from this mercenary Army full of underachievers our pols can use and abuse and back to the basics defense full of people who want to be there for the right reasons (Defense). You don't do that by offering craddle to grave care and benefits. Because wages are so good in USA, Maybe you should provide your own weapon and body armor too. I guess that would sorta put a bit of a damper on all this globe trotting.

The military is having a hell of a time finding soliders as it already is. If you take away or reduce the benefits the military has already new recruitments will be reduced at least 40% of the levels it stands at now. Increasing the benefits is the only way to make the armed forces more appealing for more people , which would open the recruitment pool to more smart and dedicated people (instead of being forced to recruit neo nazis and white power people with crime records). Increase the benefits and pay for the armed services by a big amount and also make the military harder to get in with more strict requirements.

Totally agree with your statement though on the insurgents and their will to fight. Its near impossible to win insurgency war against someone who only needs a ak47 and a quran to be fully prepared to fight to the death.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
You couldn't be further from the truth.

Kwaipie

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: techs
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co...rticle/2007/02/21/AR2007022101179.html

Pentagon Faults Leadership for Walter Reed

Top Pentagon officials today blamed a breakdown in leadership for problems with outpatient care at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and vowed to take quick corrective action.

In a Pentagon briefing, however, the officials said they did not know about the most serious problems until The Washington Post reported on them in a two-part exposé on Sunday and Monday. An "independent review group" is being formed to look into the problems and report back as soon as possible, the officials said.

The Post found recovering soldiers living in squalid conditions in Building 18, with some of the quarters plagued by mold, rot and vermin. The series also documented a larger issue of bureaucratic indifference that soldiers and family members said had demoralized them and impeded recovery.

I agree. I fault leadership. Starting with the Commander in Chief, Bush.
Hundreds of billions for expensive weapons systems, pennies for our troops.
What an outrage.
Is there anything wrong with this country that is not Bush's fault in your eyes?

Harry Truman said it best. "The Buck Stops Here"
George W. Bush and his administration seem to say "The Buck Stopped with the previous Administration"

catnap1972

Platinum Member
Aug 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Kwaipie
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: techs
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co...rticle/2007/02/21/AR2007022101179.html

Pentagon Faults Leadership for Walter Reed

Top Pentagon officials today blamed a breakdown in leadership for problems with outpatient care at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and vowed to take quick corrective action.

In a Pentagon briefing, however, the officials said they did not know about the most serious problems until The Washington Post reported on them in a two-part exposé on Sunday and Monday. An "independent review group" is being formed to look into the problems and report back as soon as possible, the officials said.

The Post found recovering soldiers living in squalid conditions in Building 18, with some of the quarters plagued by mold, rot and vermin. The series also documented a larger issue of bureaucratic indifference that soldiers and family members said had demoralized them and impeded recovery.

I agree. I fault leadership. Starting with the Commander in Chief, Bush.
Hundreds of billions for expensive weapons systems, pennies for our troops.
What an outrage.
Is there anything wrong with this country that is not Bush's fault in your eyes?

Harry Truman said it best. "The Buck Stops Here"
George W. Bush and his administration seem to say "The Buck Stopped with the previous Administration"

Actually the new mantra is "The Buck stops with whatever chump ends up taking office in 2009"

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004

??

That was an odd post, Zebo. Exactly who are you attacking here? Even if our Army was full of "under achieving mercenaries", would you really insist on assigning them the blame of bad policy decisions?

Perhaps I missed what must be huge amounts of sarcasm and hyperbole in your post...

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: jjzelinski
Originally posted by: GoPackGo
To the Ultra-Left, these war criminals are getting what they deserve.

more asinine hyperbole...

Main Entry: hy·per·bo·le
Pronunciation: hI-'p&r-b&-(")lE
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from Greek hyperbolE excess, hyperbole, hyperbola, from hyperballein to exceed, from hyper- + ballein to throw -- more at DEVIL
: extravagant exaggeration (as "mile-high ice-cream cones")

The left have treated soldiers as war criminals since Vietnam.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Show some dead/mangled bodies of Americans in Iraq/show the caskets flown home/show the hospitals. Let the Americans see what war is about.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006

Etymology: Latin, from Greek hyperbolE excess, hyperbole, hyperbola, from hyperballein to exceed, from hyper- + ballein to throw -- more at DEVIL

Gee, which debate trick is that...Hmn Straw Man? Hasty Generalization. Composition. False attribution. Appeal to emotion...

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Arglebargle

Gee, which debate trick is that...Hmn Straw Man? Hasty Generalization. Composition. False attribution. Appeal to emotion...

You doubt the truthiness, do you?

Clinth

Dec 11, 1999
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Wouldn't be good for business. When Bush ask for war appropriations, he will send the absolute minimum needed to the armed services to keep the war effort going, and the absolute maximum to contractors to increase company profits and shareholder satisfaction.

Yep, but if our armed forces were staffed to the recommend levels all this out sourcing wouldn't be necessary. as it is we have to hire contractors to support the war effort, to do job we don't have the man power to do. If you?re so upset we higher contractors to support the armed forces volunteer to help and got to the local recruiter.

Remember we have the power to change things by correct action. Most people here have degrees; sign up become an officer lead by example. But instead most of you will sit in chair wine about the taxes, Bush and this war. . But hey give up you security, leave you family and get paid very little. Until then you have ZERO place to bitch.

Yes our Vets desire better. It time we all started to help out, how many of you have volunteer to serve? Gone to your local military base and help with the family readiness group. Help out the single parent who?s SO is overseas, made care package for our troops.

Yes our Vets deserver better from you.

Clinth- 8yr of dedicated serves.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Clinth
Wouldn't be good for business. When Bush ask for war appropriations, he will send the absolute minimum needed to the armed services to keep the war effort going, and the absolute maximum to contractors to increase company profits and shareholder satisfaction.

Yep, but if our armed forces were staffed to the recommend levels all this out sourcing wouldn't be necessary. as it is we have to hire contractors to support the war effort, to do job we don't have the man power to do. If you?re so upset we higher contractors to support the armed forces volunteer to help and got to the local recruiter.

Remember we have the power to change things by correct action. Most people here have degrees; sign up become an officer lead by example. But instead most of you will sit in chair wine about the taxes, Bush and this war. . But hey give up you security, leave you family and get paid very little. Until then you have ZERO place to bitch.

Yes our Vets desire better. It time we all started to help out, how many of you have volunteer to serve? Gone to your local military base and help with the family readiness group. Help out the single parent who?s SO is overseas, made care package for our troops.

Instead of listening to all that BS you just posted, how about we give one less no-bid contract to KBR (or stop letting them overcharge us by billions) and divert a few hundred million to Walter Reed and giving vets the care they need?

All of us are already volunteering......hundreds of billions of dollars of our hard earned wages. It's time we spent it properly.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Clinth

Instead of listening to all that BS you just posted, how about we give one less no-bid contract to KBR (or stop letting them overcharge us by billions) and divert a few hundred million to Walter Reed and giving vets the care they need?

All of us are already volunteering......hundreds of billions of dollars of our hard earned wages. It's time we spent it properly.

Maybe congress should expedite the closure and moving of walter reed. This is supposed to happen by 2011. Democrats have the power and I doubt anyone would argue with this.

Clinth

Dec 11, 1999

All of us are already volunteering......hundreds of billions of dollars of our hard earned wages. It's time we spent it properly.[/quote]

Our soldiers don't also pay taxes? You may think what I posted is BS and that is your right. I just want to offer you a different view and some way you can do more to help the Vets and active military. From a personal prospective bitching and whining about the way other people treat Vets and not do anything your self... well I guess I don't follow your logic and never will; bitch about way things are done, rather then do something about it.

Try to understand why it done this way. a bid process can take yrs... I'd rather have the support in place when it need rather then after the fact, but by a competitive bid. Maybe this should have been only an interim... but how much more $$ would that have cost...demob, mob, bid process, security risk of changing of the guard I don't know the answer do you?

But the answer is still yes are troops deserver better from all of us, volunteer you time and energy to them it mean more then your money.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

And to the Right, the troops are nothing more than fodder to be cast down to die, even when its become clear that the reason go to war was based on lies...

But this "Right" waves its little China made Red, White and Blue flags and slaps its China made "Support the Troops" stickers on there gas hogging cars and this makes them feel like they're really good Americans. They fall lock step in line with the mindset of the Administration - refusing to look at what has been taking place before their very eyes - instead they attack any opposing ideas to their pre-made views.....

/like good little Germans back in the 30's.....

Clinth

Dec 11, 1999
Originally posted by: UberNeuman
/like good little Germans back in the 30's.....[/quote]

Look up left wing at wiki and see what party it is closest to....the made it easy and list them for you.... Just give you a hard time

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
Wow!!

I'm, still in Iraq, not on a FOB, and back in the day, was an LOD Medivac from theater to Walter Reed. My living conditions there were not great, but I realized that OTHER soldiers had worse in combat zones, so I put it in perspective....No bullets, not bombs, and I could leave the facility when I wished without carrying a weapon or bringing my Battle Buddy. Not bad for those that know.

Bush did not manage the Walter Reed budget, and Walter Reed and DEH are responsible for maintenance of it's buildings. How Bush is reponsible for the condition of the quarters is like saying that Lee Scott is responsible for the store maintenace at a local Wal-Mart in Nevada. Sure, hes the CEO, but the Store Manager is reponsible to ensure the facility is maintained IAW standards.

Let's blame the OIC and NCOIC and find some others that will tow the line.

Next!!

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Our Government will treat the current vets no better than those of the Vietnam era...Betcha!
Blame corp USA because along with the 30,000 lobbyists on K St. they run this so-called Democracy. :D

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004

Thanks for telling me something I already knew and yet still you insist on using it. In fact you got worse, first you accused the "far left" with an ignorany blanket accusation and then follow up with the same accusation extended to the entire "left." You're a dumbass.