Our nation's debt and spending our childrens' money

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: brxndxn
I think when our generation comes into power (Millennials), we'll just simply cut off the promises that the previous generation made to themselves.. After all, we had no part in the process - and since we get to make and repeal laws - we'll just change them so the debt has to be paid off by those that incurred it.

I hope the Baby-boomers like the idea of spending their golden greeting people at Walmart.

When the alternative is responsible people suffering, I have no qualms seeing irresponsible people suffer.

And how do you propose that? The largest voting bloc are seniors. They will be the largest voting bloc until the baby boomers die off.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
I think when our generation comes into power (Millennials), we'll just simply cut off the promises that the previous generation made to themselves.. After all, we had no part in the process - and since we get to make and repeal laws - we'll just change them so the debt has to be paid off by those that incurred it.

I hope the Baby-boomers like the idea of spending their golden greeting people at Walmart.

When the alternative is responsible people suffering, I have no qualms seeing irresponsible people suffer.

Yeah they/we were irresponsible. We raised an ungrateful generation of egocentric puppies by spoiling them with more than anyone else in history had. Now they're afraid they won't have as many toys as we gave them.

We obviously wasted our money and should have kept it. Millenials? Try Spoiled Ungrateful Brats.

It's entirely our fault that yours is the first generation that begrudges it's elders.

Your elders didnt make so many f'ing unsound financial decisions to the tune of trillions and trillions of dollars.

Ungrateful? Fvck ya Im ungrateful to you greedy bastards who've setup a huge economic burden on this country and its future generations. No other generation will face as huge of economic burden. Unless things are changed, the US is on a crash course to bankruptcy.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Originally posted by: senseamp
It IS immoral, which is why I would never vote for a Republican.

Speaking of blind party loyalists......

LOL, no shit.

The ONLY candidate who agrees is actually a Republican.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Wreckem

And how do you propose that? The largest voting bloc are seniors. They will be the largest voting bloc until the baby boomers die off.

There's as many Millennials as Baby-boomers.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah they/we were irresponsible. We raised an ungrateful generation of egocentric puppies by spoiling them with more than anyone else in history had. Now they're afraid they won't have as many toys as we gave them.

We obviously wasted our money and should have kept it. Millenials? Try Spoiled Ungrateful Brats.

It's entirely our fault that yours is the first generation that begrudges it's elders.

'Egocentric puppies' .. name-calling

"Now they're afraid they won't have as many toys as we gave them." -- First of all, if you give me something, you should not put it on my check. However, the government debt is on OUR (Millennials) check - and you (Baby-boomers) are the ones that mostly benefit. If you buy something, and say I can use it when I need it, why the hell should I be obligated to pay for it?! This is one of the first times in history where the future clearly looks dim to an entire generation.

"We obviously wasted our money and should have kept it." -- What money??? There's only debt.. that you will NOT be paying off. You SHOULD have kept your money instead of spending more of it than you had.

'Millenials? Try Spoiled Ungrateful Brats.' .. name-calling

'It's entirely our fault that yours is the first generation that begrudges it's elders.' .. No, sometimes that is typical.. But, I see 'the Greatest Generation' is a generation of good people doing great things. Their working years - late 50's to early 70's - are known as the fastest humans have ever progressed technologically. Generation X is too small to stand up for themselves. Baby-boomers, on the other hand, are a generation of hippies and yuppies.. both of whom spend too much, save too little, and believe their kids owe them everything.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

"Now they're afraid they won't have as many toys as we gave them." -- First of all, if you give me something, you should not put it on my check. However, the government debt is on OUR (Millennials) check - and you (Baby-boomers) are the ones that mostly benefit. If you buy something, and say I can use it when I need it, why the hell should I be obligated to pay for it?! This is one of the first times in history where the future clearly looks dim to an entire generation.

"We obviously wasted our money and should have kept it." -- What money??? There's only debt.. that you will NOT be paying off. You SHOULD have kept your money instead of spending more of it than you had.

'It's entirely our fault that yours is the first generation that begrudges it's elders.' .. No, sometimes that is typical.. But, I see 'the Greatest Generation' is a generation of good people doing great things. Their working years - late 50's to early 70's - are known as the fastest humans have ever progressed technologically. Generation X is too small to stand up for themselves. Baby-boomers, on the other hand, are a generation of hippies and yuppies.. both of whom spend too much, save too little, and believe their kids owe them everything.

I was actually referring to the attitude I see around here. What I meant is that maybe we should have kept the money for our retirement rather than spend it on things like our kids education.

Do I really think that? Sometimes, it depends on how much "let them eat cake" I happen to see. As for my kids, I've set up a retirement account for them already. Over the years it should help them considerably by retirement age.

I see money spent on all kinds of crap. When you get in the drivers seat, guess what? You are going to do the same thing all over. Each generation thinks it's better/smarter than the last, or at least a great many of the member of each do. Guess what. None of are any better or worse than the rest. I do think we have spoiled our children, and that trend continues as I see 9 year olds with cell phones all the time. Why on earth do they need that?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I ain't got no kids. So, I'll be spending your kids' money. That doesn't sound nearly as bad to me as the thread title.

The real trick is to convince the baby boomers to go off themselves before they waste even more resources. Since the BBers are the most sheepiest, group-thinkingest, trend worshipping, self worshiping generation that has ever turned food to shit in the whole history of the world it should just be a matter of finding a handful of botox-assed, cholesterol-lowered, teeth-whitened, depends-fearing moonunits to go first and the rest of the BBers will pompously, self-righteously jump off that cliff in a orgasm of narcissistic self actualization.

The rest of us can plow under the corpses and go back to watching Hogan's Heroes reruns in a BB-free world.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I'm hoping that soon the BBers will be too senile to meaningfully vote and the people who have been stuck with their bills can cut the programs off and ship them all into a big nursing dormitory where prices can be held in check and they can live with basic necessities until death. I think it's the only way to save us all :)

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Its all Fictional Anyway, The Government has three sets of Books, They can fudge the numbers as much as they want.

Every US taxpayer pays SS as a Seperate line item payment. The SS system actually produces a surplus if it was isolated from other items.

But we know the government raids that money for other purchases. No surprise considering all the corporations with Major Employee pention plans raided them too

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

I was actually referring to the attitude I see around here. What I meant is that maybe we should have kept the money for our retirement rather than spend it on things like our kids education.

Do I really think that? Sometimes, it depends on how much "let them eat cake" I happen to see. As for my kids, I've set up a retirement account for them already. Over the years it should help them considerably by retirement age.

I see money spent on all kinds of crap. When you get in the drivers seat, guess what? You are going to do the same thing all over. Each generation thinks it's better/smarter than the last, or at least a great many of the member of each do. Guess what. None of are any better or worse than the rest. I do think we have spoiled our children, and that trend continues as I see 9 year olds with cell phones all the time. Why on earth do they need that?

Don't back down, your temper may have slipped a little there, but your analysis was SPOT-ON...... and you've obviously hit a nerve.