Our latest attempt at wood working (pic)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dnetmhz
Originally posted by: damiano
look at what you can get for 30 bucks (for instance)
i am too lazy to search for exactly what you wanted

mmmm.. Premium particle board ;)

That's a very good point. Furniture from Ikea is ... well ... cheap. It works great for dorm rooms and getting situated into your first place. However, as time goes along, hopefully, one would desire better built furniture in their home. However, several years back, I did get my desk there because it featured real wood veneer and was nicely constructed. But, most of their furniture is "starter" furniture. :)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I have been in an argument about some of the IKEA and comparable stuff.

People think they got it at a steal or some super clearance or a misprice....they don't believe me when I say it's simply nice looking, but cheap furniture.

Sure there is nothing wrong with that, and a lot of it I like....I will buy nice looking and cheap furniture most of the time....however I try used furniture stores (esp near Boca Raton and Palm Beach)....it's not all $30 couches....one couch I considered for about $5,000 for my old house....however I bought the same one new, with love seat and chair for $10,000 (half price of best price I found, from a vendor that was going out of business in real life as opposed to out of business each week)

Most of my furniture I have built is due to needing a custom piece. Like my workstation....I didn't make it to be a hierloom as this is just an apartment I am in and it will be left with it or destroyed when I move. However, absolutely nothing store bough would have given me room for two machines and people to work comfortably as well as hold about 500+ books in a 8' x 3' space. Same with my tv console....none of them were more than 24" deep really and none of them were wide enough to put the equipment in two stacks side by side. Again built for practicality rather than something I will keep for longer than I live here.

My next real project with be in maple solid or veneer. My house I had was slowly working that way, all maple kitchen cabinets and floor (which I never laid down due to the divorce), all maple wall unit...the light pinkish white color of maple goes really well with mexican tile which I like. Plus it's not the typical white wash oak look you always see.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
however I try used furniture stores (esp near Boca Raton and Palm Beach)
Alkemist, I seem to remember a large furniture "warehouse" store along I-95 in th Boca area when I was there a few years back. My sis-in-law lives in Jupiter and we drove down to the Boca area for a day to hit the warehouse. I didn't go into the place, but it was very large. But, I like your point -- don't overlook some of the vast sources for furniture that are out there. And, at times, you may not be able to purchase something "off the shelf" and it might need to be custom made.