OTC Oral Corticosteroids

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNoblePlatypus

Dec 18, 2001
Does anyone know of any over the counter oral corticosteroids, something like a prednisone without a prescription?

Old thread.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/allergy-medications/AA00037

"Oral corticosteroids (pills and liquids) are used to treat severe symptoms caused by all types of allergic reactions. Examples include prednisone (Prednisone Intensol) and prednisolone (Prelone, others). Because they can cause numerous short- and long-term side effects, oral corticosteroids are usually prescribed for short periods of time. Long-term use can cause cataracts, osteoporosis, muscle weakness and delayed growth in children."

I used to take this stuff, but I need a script for it... can't for the life of me think of any OTC versions.

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
Prednisone is my favorite drug on the planet. I'm pretty sure the damn thing could cure cancer in the right dose. Prednisone makes me feel like superman in about 4 hours whenever I get sick and need it.

If there was an OTC alternative, I'd be all over it.

KingGheedora

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
OP, why would you want to take this type of substance?

I had to take it once and it was pretty terrible stuff. You can also develop a dependency (some people never get off it). Getting off it involved a lot of lethargy and very bad bone and joint aches for me. I gained a lot of weight and my face was super bloated, covered in acne as was my back. I even got some minor acne on my chest.

I did feel pretty good when on it though, and while on higher doses it had an amazing positive impact on my ability to focus and complete tasks and projects. Overall it was a 5 month period of my life that was very miserable. I still have a bottle full of this toxic waste sitting in my cabinet.

Are you sure this drug is what you want? You sure you aren't looking for anabolic steroids, which is what bodybuilders/athletes are typically trying to get their hands on? Not that I condone that either, but I haven't ever heard of someone WANTING to take corticosteroids. I don't think you can get them OTC because they can be dangerous, and habit forming.

There are legions of accounts of people online having horrific experiences and side effects from prednisone, I advise you to look those up (search for "prednisone side effects", and "prednisone experiences").

And BlackTigers, are you serious or is that sarcasm? I can't tell.

TheNoblePlatypus

Dec 18, 2001
My issue is I'm pretty sure I have scleritis, and I'm sure there is some underlying condition that I don't really care about right now. As I don't have any insurance and a fear of what the cost would be to have a doctor give me a workup, I'm trying to take care of this on my own. It's a ridiculous amount of pain in the orbital socket and the only outward appearance is the corner of my eye is bloodshot. I'm on the 2nd week of this shit, and ibuprofen seems to be the only thing that helps but it's not going away on it's own.

I read up on it and the treatment involves corticosteroids. If you guys have any better ideas, I'm up for anything. It would be nice to be able to sleep.

Mar 22, 2002
My issue is I'm pretty sure I have scleritis, and I'm sure there is some underlying condition that I don't really care about right now. As I don't have any insurance and a fear of what the cost would be to have a doctor give me a workup, I'm trying to take care of this on my own. It's a ridiculous amount of pain in the orbital socket and the only outward appearance is the corner of my eye is bloodshot. I'm on the 2nd week of this shit, and ibuprofen seems to be the only thing that helps but it's not going away on it's own.

I read up on it and the treatment involves corticosteroids. If you guys have any better ideas, I'm up for anything. It would be nice to be able to sleep.

Although the best idea for you (and potentially your vision for life) would be to go see a doctor, tell us the total list of your symptoms. Does it itch? It it a stabbing pain? Is it a throbbing pain? Does it hurt on your cornea or just on the sclera? Are you sure it's the sclera or could it be the conjunctiva (a layer around/over the sclera). Does it hurt like sinus pain? It's better to at least have the input of many than just your own input. Really though... your vision is at risk here. Putting some money for or getting a job with insurance might be worth it.

TheNoblePlatypus

Dec 18, 2001
Although the best idea for you (and potentially your vision for life) would be to go see a doctor

Give me a rough idea of what a doctor visit and a prescription for Prednisone would cost, ballpark. I'm not sure if they're going to want to milk me with a battery of tests.

tell us the total list of your symptoms. Does it itch?

No

It it a stabbing pain? Is it a throbbing pain?

Throbbing constant pain in the sclera portion of the eye and the surrounding area of the eye socket.

Does it hurt on your cornea or just on the sclera?

Just the sclera.

Are you sure it's the sclera or could it be the conjunctiva (a layer around/over the sclera).

It's not pink eye.

Does it hurt like sinus pain?

Pretty sure it isn't sinusitis either. It's just red in the corner of my eye and throbbing pain in my eye socket that goes to my jaw and forehead if I don't use a NSAID like ibuprofen.

It's better to at least have the input of many than just your own input. Really though... your vision is at risk here. Putting some money for...

Yeah, I suppose throwing money at is the only real solution.

...or getting a job with insurance might be worth it.

Going to ignore that last as the amount of jobs I could change too that would give me instant benefits are pretty slim. Every company I've ever worked for has had at least a 90 day wait before you're eligible for benefits.

Last edited:

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Prednisone is my favorite drug on the planet. I'm pretty sure the damn thing could cure cancer in the right dose. Prednisone makes me feel like superman in about 4 hours whenever I get sick and need it.

If there was an OTC alternative, I'd be all over it.

It does cure cancer. CHOP is an acronym for a chemo regimen used to treat Lymphoma (IIRC) and the "P" is prednisone.

PS - for the OP, there is no OTC oral steroid.

Gioxos

Sep 15, 2017
In my third recurrance of cluster headaches over a 10 year period, they have become far more intense and frequent, over a month with no let up. As many as four per day. Started on Prednisone 50mg for four days. Fifth day no prednisone and headaches were back. Now I'm back on prednisone (60mg for 5 days and reduce by 10mg until off) and it is so far keeping them at bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.