OT- Anyone notice the internet having problems this morning?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
The trouble is even if you don't use SQL, .NET or other M$ programs that use port 1434 (and are vulnerable) you can still be affected by the barrage of attempted hits to that port, no matter what system you use. If you have a router and block it you are still affected because the attempts take up bandwidth that you would like to use for something else.

At my data center it seems someone (or many) hadn't installed the patch and so the bandwidth provider, noticing port 1434 activity coming from within merely severed the connection until the DC admin could get the offending machines unplugged.
Then he started calling the colo clients asking if we are using M$ SQL and if we had installed the patch.
(it's a case of dumb & dumber in charge at the DC I'm afraid)

So, even though my server uses SQL and was patched I lost connection due to those around me who were not. I lost sleep wondering wth was wrong at the DC all night, my customers and I all lost time / email / web clients etc... and so the trickle down goes - multiplied by millions!