OSCAR NOMINATIONS ARE OUT!! LOTR gets 11!

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Movies like lord of the rings never win best picture. It's always the movies that make us "think", like mystic river or lost in translation. It doesn't matter that movie captured minds of millions. If it doesn't carry a "message" it usually won't win the oscar. This sucks, but it's true.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
i hope Ken Watanabe wins Best Supporting Actor for The Last Samurai. i thought he was awesome in the movie.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Me thinks ROTK will win tons of technical awards (sound, editing, score, etc.) but will not win anything in the major categories. Best actor will go to either Sean Penn or Bill Murray. Best picture probably to Mystic River.

new2AMD

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: waylman
Originally posted by: OulOat
What is this "lost in translation?"

great flick. bill murray and some chick. sofia coppola directed.

Scarlett Johansson...remeber her name...she is going to be huge.

I probably spelled it wrong.

Konigin

Platinum Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Me thinks ROTK will win tons of technical awards (sound, editing, score, etc.) but will not win anything in the major categories.

yeah, probably.

arod

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2000
IMO Andy Serkis deserved Supporting actor even though it wasnt really him, thats probably the toughest acting job ever and he pulled it off very well.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: arod
IMO Andy Serkis deserved Supporting actor even though it wasnt really him, thats probably the toughest acting job ever and he pulled it off very well.

I would have liked to have seen both him and Sean Astin nominated.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
How the HELL does Geoffrey Rush NOT Get a nomination for Best Supporting Actor. He was brilliant in PotC.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
I'm kind of curious about Lost in Translation. I keep hearing it's great, but I heard the same thing from people with 'About Schmidt'. At the end of about schmidt, I wanted to cut my wrists and gouge my eyes out. The single most depressing movie I've EVER seen. Plus the fact that Kathy Bates is topless in the movie (which if I live to be 100, is an image that is forever scortched on my retinas). Yet everyone raved about how great the movie was. It was two hours of pure bordem (with 30 seconds of sheer terror when Kathy Bates opened her bathrobe). I don't need stuff blowing up in movies to be entertained, but COME ON.

Sorry, I've been really bitter about that damn movie since seeing it, and I needed to vent.

Even if LOTR wins best picture, everyone's going to say it was just because of the effort involved to film it. PJ had better win best director though.

I kind of have the feeling we're going to see another Saving Private Ryan though, and it's going to get beat out by domr other film for best picture.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Doesn't really matter.

A movie is great in its own right if you enjoyed it. I don't need some panel of Hollywood producers to tell me what's great and what isn't.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I keep hearing it's great, but I heard the same thing from people with 'About Schmidt'. At the end of about schmidt, I wanted to cut my wrists and gouge my eyes out.

LOL
Both my husband and I had the same reaction to "About Schmidt." Sadly, we can never get those two hours back.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I think it's great that Keisha Castle-Hughes got a nomination for Whale Rider. I hope she get's best actress.

TranceNation

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2001

11 nominations?
what were they like....
Best homo acting
Best drawn out film that should've ended an hour earlier
etc

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Argo
Movies like lord of the rings never win best picture. It's always the movies that make us "think", like mystic river or lost in translation. It doesn't matter that movie captured minds of millions. If it doesn't carry a "message" it usually won't win the oscar. This sucks, but it's true.

That's the funniest thing I've read all morning.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Lord of the Rings WILL win best picture. Part 1 deserved to win, but couldn't because there were two more parts coming along. If 2 and 3 were better than 1 and 1 got the Oscar, the Academy would have either been locked into voting for them too or looking stupid for snubbing them. Part 3 will get the Oscar partially because it deserves it on it's own, but mostly as payback for the other 2 parts being overlooked.

Andy Serkis didn't deserve one and no CGI "actor" is ever going to get nominated. That's a slippery slope that scares the Academy. Even though the character of Gollum was amazingly done, nominating him for it would have been one small step away from nominating a cartoon character. Nobody wants to see the 2007 Oscars come down to Mickey Mouse vs Bugs Bunny for Best Actor. Sean Astin got royally hosed though, he deserved at least a nomination.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: TranceNation
11 nominations?
what were they like....
Best homo acting
etc

Did you read my mind?

Those were my EXACT thoughts about the movie (well, my two main thoughts besides all the other stuff that annoyed me).

melly

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: TranceNation
11 nominations?
what were they like....
Best homo acting
etc

Don't forget

Best prancing around

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001

Gladiator did win over Crotching Tiger, Hidden Dragon though.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
GO CITY OF GOD woooooooooo best movie this year by FAR. It won't win best director, but it should win everything else it was nominated for, especially editing.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002

So true and so sad. Screw you, Academy.

To them: fantasy/sci-fi = not as good as "people" movies.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Originally posted by: rockyct

Gladiator did win over Crotching Tiger, Hidden Dragon though.

Hehe... if I didn't do it, someone else would. *ponders what a Crotching Tiger is* ... *gets scared*