Orielly's Dumb question about gay marriage

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

przero

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2000
"By your logic, all hate crimes should not be considered as such. "

You are correct. There are no "hate crimes".

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: przero

Oh, I do beg to differ. Killing or harming someone simply because of their race/religion is most certainly a hate crime. Way different from, say, killing someone in a bar fight which is more a crime of emotion/passion.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: conjur

Oh, I do beg to differ. Killing or harming someone simply because of their race/religion is most certainly a hate crime. Way different from, say, killing someone in a bar fight which is more a crime of emotion/passion.

But what if you are white and kill a "black" man during that bar fight? would that be labeled a hate crime then? You bet your ass it would. I fail to see how any CRIME is "worse" becuase of the motives. Murder is Murder, Manslaughter is Manslaughter, assult is assult - no matter what the "motives" they are both CRIMES and should be punished equally.

So a black man killing a black man is less "vicious" than a white man killing a black man? Who should spend more time in prison or which should be executed?

CkG

ConclamoLudus

Jan 16, 2003

I thought that was supposed to be the difference between 1st degree, 2nd degree, etc. It depends on intent as to how severe the punishment. I don't think there is reason for hate crime legislation because its not a matter of "hate" it is a matter of premeditation. I don't care why you planned on killing someone...I care that you planned it. I don't care if you hated them for their race or if they cheated with your wife, murder is murder, and hate is always there with murder.

przero

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2000
The term "hate crime" is demeaning! It puts less value on my life than that of a minority. All men are suddenly not created equal.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: ConclamoLudus

I thought that was supposed to be the difference between 1st degree, 2nd degree, etc. It depends on intent as to how severe the punishment. I don't think there is reason for hate crime legislation because its not a matter of "hate" it is a matter of premeditation. I don't care why you planned on killing someone...I care that you planned it. I don't care if you hated them for their race or if they cheated with your wife, murder is murder, and hate is always there with murder.

Each state penal code defines the class of murder, manslaughter and etc.. "Hate crime" is an add on... to many crimes... battery can also have the add on of "hate crime" if the associated malice is found to be present... like robbery with a gun... the "gun" is an add on..

przero

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2000
It is still offensive. It is meant to sooth the minds of the percieved "minorities"!

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Kiyup
Marriage as an institution in itself should be abolished.

When the implementation of that institution becomes corrupt, then yes. As should all corrupt institutions.

My religion doesn't really care if marriage comes with a tax break or not. It wasn't meant to be regulated by government.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002

I bet the KKK LOVED burning people on crosses....

We need to get rid of all the gay people, heres how we do it. We separate everyone, gays together on an island, say AU, the straight people together get everything else.
We wait 20 years and then we go back and check each group. Whatever one has reproduced more gay people will automatically be systematically destroyed.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
The concept of a "hate crime" is ludicrous and is akin to thought police. If you kill someone you claim to love, should it be a lesser crime?