Orcs Must Die! demo

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
valve sure takes their time with issuing refunds. still waiting on my refund from Renegade Ops so I can buy this.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
I wasn't even aware valve did refunds. I'm assuming that only works with pre-orders.

BergeLSU

Apr 6, 2011
I haven't had a chance to check out the demo yet, the videos made this game look very similar to Sanctum, which I purchased during the Summer sale and haven't touched since getting the summer achievement.

Can anyone who has played them both comment please?

Sanctum suffers from being slow-paced and VERY reliant on your weapon (sniper rifle).

From the demo, I found it to be much more fast paced and more rewarding.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
The problem with this game is that its such a good design that hasn't been done like this before and I want more... I want multiplayer coop, 1v1 versus (buy traps and spawns like in tower wars wc3), more singleplayer campaigns, etc. I want more orcs must die...

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
No idea how the skull count works, but failed on three levels (so far) for not getting 5/5, so went back and did them. One I got on the second attempt, the other two, played them both twice more, killed all, none got away, and still only got 3 skulls. Need to find out how they are worked out. Max points? in which case, going to have to find something how to do that. Either more head shots or combo kills.

The last level I did last night I felt was a little too easy once I had enough money to setup with. The one with three doors next to each other. some tar, some barricades and the stun of the cross bow made that map tooo easy.

ps - flying monsters suck. The walking wolves(?) was a surprise to run into though.

Took me a while to realise there where purchasesable improvements, but do they help a lot :)

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
No idea how the skull count works, but failed on three levels (so far) for not getting 5/5, so went back and did them. One I got on the second attempt, the other two, played them both twice more, killed all, none got away, and still only got 3 skulls. Need to find out how they are worked out. Max points? in which case, going to have to find something how to do that. Either more head shots or combo kills.

The last level I did last night I felt was a little too easy once I had enough money to setup with. The one with three doors next to each other. some tar, some barricades and the stun of the cross bow made that map tooo easy.

ps - flying monsters suck. The walking wolves(?) was a surprise to run into though.

Took me a while to realise there where purchasesable improvements, but do they help a lot :)

Check your stats after the game, it might tell you where you lost points. I know you lose one skull if you are over the time they allotted. You lose another skull if even one orc makes it.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I've seen people mention upgrade paths, like for your character, not just traps.
When do you get the character upgrades? Is that in a different section or with the trap upgrades? If it's different where is it?

wrbt

Oct 9, 2009
Seems like lots of the higher traps are more fun than practical, they are just too expensive. I can do a lot more with upgraded versions of your basic spikes, wall arrows, and tar than just about any of the fancier stuff. Upgraded spikes are only 300 and they slow orcs down too, I've had maps where on the final rush I've got dozens of them lined up man do they take a toll especially when you wind-belt the lucky surviving orcs back to repeat the process. I've had ogres die trying to plod thru massive spike fields.

Actually I guess archers are pretty handy for the flying thingies too.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
I've seen people mention upgrade paths, like for your character, not just traps.
When do you get the character upgrades? Is that in a different section or with the trap upgrades? If it's different where is it?

You have to unlock it on on one of the levels and then you access that menu with 'v'

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
The ceiling mace thing with tar under it is beast. Freeze the ogre on the tar and he will be dead in 2 hits tops.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001

LIke 9 levels in or something you unlock these fireweavers (I think that is what they are called) and there are 2 of them, each one has different upgrades for your character. You spend the points you earn killing orcs getting the upgrades. You'd hit the "v" key to access their menu.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
I agree with most that this is a pretty fun game. It would be a lot better with multiplayer though. For some reason I'm ok with single player in the other tower defense games, but the increased level of involvement here is what made the lack of multiplayer very noticeable to me.

My go to strategy through about the first 15 levels is finding a spot where I can cheaply narrow it down to either one or two columns with barricades. I then put tar down in the columns and do most of the damage with crossbow headshots, aiming a little above their heads. Use the crossbow stun liberally to give your traps time to reset.

silvan4now

Oct 4, 2011
i am currently playing the game is insanely fun. if you have some free time and if you want just to enjoy something this is it!

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Finished the game on war mage. Played the first level on Nightmare. Not sure if I have the desire to play all the way through again. Looks like they plan on releasing some DLC though, so we'll see what they add. New traps and maps I assume. Maybe an orc or two. I wonder if there is anything else they could add

RandomSanity

Jan 23, 2006
Sanctum suffers from being slow-paced and VERY reliant on your weapon (sniper rifle).

From the demo, I found it to be much more fast paced and more rewarding.

Thanks! Sanctum was one of my more disappointing random steam sale purchases. I found it to be very boring. I'll give Orcs Must Die a shot tonight.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I wish I had more money for traps, especially on levels where there are 2 doors with different paths and not really any single choke point.

I was reading some stuff online and I saw that the barricade can be blown up by sappers, so I thought the regular orcs couldn't destroy it. Well, the archer orcs apparently can damage it if they hit it. Seems like it can take a good bit of damage from the archers though.

The wall blade trap is very satisfying to watch.

A tip I learned while playing is that you can pick up and move the explosive barrels.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
After reading some of this thread I tried the demo and then bought the game last night - it is so friggin amazing! So far it is such a fun game and the balance is perfect - it's challenging and intense but not so hard that it makes you want to give up.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
Check your stats after the game, it might tell you where you lost points.

Their is a stat's page? Guess I gloss over it as something not worth checking (ie: I finished the map with no one getting away).

Something else to look into tonight :)

The level I did last night (balcony?) was a push over :) The side wall traps do not need to be at floor level :)

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011

it is character upgrades that last only for the map. It made accessable about map 6 or 8 IIRC. You press "V" to access it.

It gives an option to get benifits to your traps or to yourself/weapons.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
Seems like lots of the higher traps are more fun than practical, they are just too expensive.

Agreed. have not used the "air" trap as I can not see a point to it. puts them in the air - then what? Not a fan of being nice to the orcs :) - the jump platform is far more fun (though I think I somehow got a small rat high enough to allow it to get to the end).

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
I wish I had more money for traps, especially on levels where there are 2 doors with different paths and not really any single choke point.

I was reading some stuff online and I saw that the barricade can be blown up by sappers, so I thought the regular orcs couldn't destroy it. Well, the archer orcs apparently can damage it if they hit it. Seems like it can take a good bit of damage from the archers though.

A tip I learned while playing is that you can pick up and move the explosive barrels.

I do not have issues with money anymore. The first in round upgrade for the trap path is 66% more money from killings via traps. Makes it important to let the traps do the killing, not yourself.

Barricades proberly can be distroyed by archers as they do have a health bar, but the biggest issue with them is Orges. They just walk through them (so it seems). Just need to leave a opening and they walk around instead.

Did not know that about the barrels, but then I find them crappy. By the time they have enough Orcs around it to blow up to be worth using, I can not hit it from too many Orcs.

wrbt

Oct 9, 2009
Agreed. have not used the "air" trap as I can not see a point to it. puts them in the air - then what?
I agree, that thing never makes it into my load-out.

I did see a picture where someone had used it pretty cleverly, they had a tall narrow entryway so had wall arrows stacked three high on each side and blowers to kick orcs up into multiple arrow zones. Not sure how that effective it was but I assume just trying to take advantage of a choke point and maybe catch flyers as well. At the very least I'm sure it was quite hilarious to see in action.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
it is character upgrades that last only for the map. It made accessable about map 6 or 8 IIRC. You press "V" to access it.

It gives an option to get benifits to your traps or to yourself/weapons.

I thought it was like a permanent thing. I see that it only lasts for each map.