Oral sex-related cancer at 30-year high - New Scientist, 2/28/08

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001

Oral sex-related cancer at 30-year high - New Scientist, 2/28/08 - "The incidence of oral cancer due to a virus transmitted during oral sex has increased steeply over the last 30 years ... The rise was largest among young white males, suggesting this group is more likely to have oral sex at a younger age now than it was 20 years ago ... What is not in doubt, says Gillison, is the need to consider giving boys the HPV vaccine, to protect them from the disease ... These strains are also thought to cause oral cancer, as well as penile and anal cancer" - I don't think people realize how serious head and neck cancer is. The survival rate is only 25% if you get surgery and radiation and a lot less without the radiation. With the radiation, you fry your taste sensors, saliva glands and pituitary gland. The pituitary gland is responsible for a lot of important hormones so the best you can look forward to is a life with everything tasting like cardboard, a constantly annoying dry mouth and constant fatigue. With the surgery you can loose your vocal cords and end up breathing through a tube and disfigurement. See Roger Ebert. I refused radiation because I didn't want to live like that and somehow made it through it with just some scars. Anyway, that's my plug to get the vaccine even if you are a male.

Cancerous Growths: Mouth Growths - "if the cancer has spread to lymph nodes, the 5-year survival rate is only 25%"

Text

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
The virus is very stable, so most any direct contact with it may lead to infection.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
tonsil and throat cancers affect about two in every 100,000 adults in the US

Chance of dying from skydiving (assuming 1 jump per year): 1/100,000
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/skydiving8.htm

Chance of dying from OP: 1/50,000

Chance of being struck by lightning in your lifetime (assuming 80 years): 1/5000
http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/medical.htm

Chances of dying in a car/vehicle accident over your lifetime: 1/80
http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm

The list goes on at the last link. Assuming you don't sleep around, this shouldn't be much of a problem.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: IGBT

I refused radiation because I didn't want to live like that and somehow made it through it with just some scars. Anyway, that's my plug to get the vaccine even if you are a male.

Was this part of the copy/paste or did the OP really survive oral cancer?

Sust

Sep 1, 2001
Well it does take two to tango.
Even if you and yourself are safe, then how do you know the other party is or isn't safe?
Men are typically asymptomatic carriers, and women sometimes dont even notice until their annual pap smear lets them know.
Better safe than sorry IMO, because I dont want metastatic HPV all up in my neck and head to be my primary manifestation.
I dont know of any studies done on gardasil on males so it's unknown if there will be any unexpected effects. Time will tell I guess.
BTW, if I could vaccinate against car accidents, I would.

Originally posted by: irishScott

Chance of dying from skydiving (assuming 1 jump per year): 1/100,000
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/skydiving8.htm

Chance of being struck by lightning in your lifetime (assuming 80 years): 1/5000
http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/medical.htm

Chances of dying in a car/vehicle accident over your lifetime: 1/80
http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm

The list goes on at the last link. Assuming you don't sleep around, this shouldn't be much of a problem.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: SirStev0
Originally posted by: ironwing
I blame Bill Clinton.

I blame the religious right for lobbying the HPV vaccine for so long...

I blame people thinking that the partner they're with that night is safe. Too much unsafe, rampant forms of sex. That's not a plug at abstinence. That's just plain fact. If people would only at least get to know the partner they're with then the cases would drop dramatically. But all we have is a horrid case of "Where can I stick my dick next?!" (And I'm not just blaming males, females are equally at fault).

With one partner, I will only have to ask her to be tested once. And I won't worry about it again. Could she cheat on me with someone who does? Sure.. But my chances are still lower than if I'm in bed with a new girl each night.

I'll just leave it at that.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
so if my wife and I are each others only sexual partners, what is our chance of getting killed by something like this?

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Joemonkey
so if my wife and I are each others only sexual partners, what is our chance of getting killed by something like this?

0 if you dont have the disease, very low(cancer) if you already do have HPV and if you do, there's no point in getting a vaccine anyway.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

Probably a heck of a lot lower than you doing it to another woman and your wife finding out.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001

Your chances of getting the virus are virtually nil. Chances of getting the cancer are very very low.

Not all cancers, even cervical carcinomas, are associated with a virus, so there is still a chance. But the chances are so low it's really not something to be concerned about.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: irishScott

Apparently posting threads on ATOT is more dangerous then we thought !!! :Q

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: bignateyk
Is it transmitted ass-to-mouth as well?

You and several other users apparently need to properly research what ass-to-mouth really is.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: thecoolnessrune
But all we have is a horrid case of "Where can I stick my dick next?!" (And I'm not just blaming males, females are equally at fault).

Not judgin' or anything, but I generally don't date girls with dicks.;)