Opinion on the teacher strikes?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Lack of funding for our schools and teachers is only part of the problem. Parents who send undisciplined, unruly, unmotivated little shits to school and expect teachers to turn them into productive members of society are just as much of a problem as low funding and pay.

And the ignorant parents who don't give two shits about their kids' education are the same ones who vote to cut school funding and keep teacher salaries in the basement. If they valued education they would have got a little of their own, but they didn't and don't see the value of investing in it for the future.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
Reactions: highland145

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
the US spends more per student than any other country
i call it mismanagement, corruption, ect

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-education-spending-tops-global-list-study-shows/

More recent studies by the same group show we've moved down a few rankings. We're 5th now and are one of the only countries with a declining investment in education. Adjusting for GDP we fall a bit farther to seventh - tied with Chile.

But yes there is a problem with how money is being spent as well

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
More recent studies by the same group show we've moved down a few rankings. We're 5th now and are one of the only countries with a declining investment in education. Adjusting for GDP we fall a bit farther to seventh - tied with Chile.

But yes there is a problem with how money is being spent as well

I've seen studies that show the amount of money spent actually TEACHING the child ranks very low in the world. We apparently throw all our money at multiple levels of administrators who may never spend a single day with students.

It's what gets me so fired up on this subject. On one hand we all think teachers are heroes and should be treated like heroes. But then we treat them like window licking retards by placing a ton of administration over them who dictate how and what they may teach. And we pay those administrators the hero's wage.

Reactions: highland145

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
My opinion is it;s great. Teachers have the right to negotiate for higher wages and have joined together to do so. It's awesome. They should have done it sooner. A lot sooner.

Reactions: Engineer

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I've seen studies that show the amount of money spent actually TEACHING the child ranks very low in the world. We apparently throw all our money at multiple levels of administrators who may never spend a single day with students.

It's what gets me so fired up on this subject. On one hand we all think teachers are heroes and should be treated like heroes. But then we treat them like window licking retards by placing a ton of administration over them who dictate how and what they may teach. And we pay those administrators the hero's wage.

Its more than just administration costs though. Fancy new tech gadgets that 'make learning easier' can get tons of funding with little actual science or pedagogy behind it while tried and true methods are left in the dust. LA spent over a billion dollars on its failed iPad program. There seems to be pressure on schools to do more than just teach the material at hand as time spent on classroom management or dealing with unhappy parents has gone up. They see technology as the solution and throw money at it. Technology looks 'cool' and 'high end' if you're trying to woo kids to your district or want to reflect the 'prestige' of your school and wow parents (who just so happen to vote for the school board members often starting these initiatives). Having appropriately involved parents, involved students, decent class sizes and high expectations doesn't sell nearly as well - it sounds too much like effort and personal responsibility.

Some schools face an additional issue with the distribution of funding - at least in the poorest areas of MI where my wife taught for many years. Poor performing schools tend to have teachers who don't live in the area - they are willing to make additional sacrifices to have their kids go to a different school which typically means living out of that district. The service and maintenance workers tend to live in the same district as the school they work at. In one particular instance 70% of the teachers didn't live in the district while 90% of service and maint staff did. When it came time to contract renewals guess who got the larger salary increase or larger staff sizes? The people who lived in the district and voted in the school board. So a first year 'Dispatcher' or 'Parts Clerk' made $37,000 and a first year teacher made $35,500. First year 'Day Maintenance' worker made $32,000. I'm not trying to disparage the work those people do as their job is vital to the smooth operation of a school. But are they more valuable or almost as valuable to a schools successful operation as a teacher? My hope is that this was just something that happened in SE MI but I suspect it is broader than that.