Operation Crush a Walnut with a Sledgehammer

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Oh well . . . at least we can drop the pretense of trying to win hearts and minds

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. military has begun leveling houses and buildings used by suspected Iraqi guerrilla fighters in a new tactic which is part of a more aggressive strategy aimed at crushing the anti-American insurgency, Pentagon officials said Tuesday.

Pentagon officials stressed that in all cases, the U.S. has gone to "extraordinary means" to notify civilians that they need to evacuate the area before any attacks were carried out. And before any building was destroyed, nearby roads were closed to minimize the chance of unintended civilian casualties.

"Now there's no-holds-barred on what we use. We use what necessary capabilities and combat power that we need to use to go ahead and take the fight to the enemy and also minimize collateral damage."

Asked if the United States risked alienating the Iraqi population with such heavy-handed tactics, Swannack replied, "I like to remember what Viscount Slim said during the Burma Campaign. He said use a sledge hammer to crush a walnut, and that's exactly what we will do. We will use force overwhelming combat power when it's necessary."

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
And if any iraqi kids start throwing rocks at our troups, they deserve it right between the eyes as well.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
We're loosing all moral authority and goodwill. I can barley read Iraq stories anymore without feeling a vommit tingle in my throat.

"They destroyed our houses and expelled us. We now have no salaries and no house. Our children are sick. What shall we do?" she complained.

I know what I'd do. kill those responsible. How about you?

"I like to remember what Viscount Slim said during the Burma Campaign. He said use a sledge hammer to crush a walnut, and that's exactly what we will do. We will use force overwhelming combat power when it's necessary."

My dad used to say "come down on them like a ton of bricks" same thing. One problem is it's not going to win any hearts and minds.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Lots of military experts here. Got themselves a CNN story, couple of sound bites and the expert opinions and commentary flows like sh!t through a goose.

Gen. Abizaid has e-mail. You could just send him advice directly.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
PainTrain, If it's working so well why have the head of the Israeli army and for high ranking members of Shin Bet come out against the policy within the last month? Why is Israel getting increasingly desparate. Desparate enough to build a monumental wall.

PainTrain

Jun 22, 2003
UQ, was not used in any refernce to the military strategy being devised and implemented. I at least speak for myself in that respect. As far as I 'm concerned the US military is the most sohpisticated, resrourceful and devestating military of all time. I'm actually quite proud of it and it's technical accomplishments in Iraq.

The "strategy" I criticize is a political one, having nothing to do with how military directives are implemented and everything to do with the directives themselves. I think the concensus is accurate in suggesting that the "political strategy" of obliterating Iraqi neighborhoods with 155mm shells being dispensed from AC-130H Spectre's does not appear very sensible towards the goal of "winning the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people."

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

PainTrain

Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Whitling
PainTrain, If it's working so well why have the head of the Israeli army and for high ranking members of Shin Bet come out against the policy within the last month? Why is Israel getting increasingly desparate. Desparate enough to build a monumental wall.

Desparate? I call it a solidification of the "land-grab" policy that Irael has been enacting since it's inception. I'm sorry but a couple of dead civilians (as horrible as it is) and a couple of thrown stones doesn't exactly shake my confidence of Israeli military superiority in their conflict with the Palestinians.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
No one is disputing Israel's clear military superiority. But you take your life in your hands every time you ride a bus in Israel. Their economy is going down the toilet.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
"Welcome to round two of Americas newest game show 'What's Mai-Lai'"

"Lt. Calley you just completed the last correct session and are in the lead
so you get to choose the category"

"I'll take Iraqi Villages for $200 Alex"

O.K., Bill, and remember to phrase your answer in the form of a question.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I thought it was called Iron Hammer. BTW CNN while rerporting about this last night included this little Jewel, the First instance of a Military Operation named Iron Hammer was conducted by the Nazis in Poland to squash a popular Polish uprising and was called "Izen Hammer" Seems like a poor choice for a name by the Military and proof of the accusation that CNN has an anti Bush slant. I found it so blatant that I about fell out of my chair when I heard it. It was like watching Faux News in Bizzaro World!

Cypherdude1

Mar 19, 2003
OK, so now we're reduced to blowing up empty houses and (leaking) warehouses with US jets and 500 lb. smart bombs. Exactly how is attacking empty houses and (leaking) warehouses with jets, M1's, Bradley's, and mobile artillery going to stop guerrilla attacks? Are we going to scare the guerillas to death???

We're starting to look more and more as the Israelis do on the West Bank and Gaza strip. The Israelis use the same tactics. The Muslims already think we take Israel's side in foreign affairs. Now we, the USA, use exactly the same tactics. These tactics will only further inflame the Iraqis. :disgust:
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Oh well . . . at least we can drop the pretense of trying to win hearts and minds

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. military has begun leveling houses and buildings used by suspected Iraqi guerrilla fighters in a new tactic which is part of a more aggressive strategy aimed at crushing the anti-American insurgency, Pentagon officials said Tuesday.

Pentagon officials stressed that in all cases, the U.S. has gone to "extraordinary means" to notify civilians that they need to evacuate the area before any attacks were carried out. And before any building was destroyed, nearby roads were closed to minimize the chance of unintended civilian casualties.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Cypherdude1
OK, so now we're reduced to blowing up empty houses and (leaking) warehouses with US jets and 500 lb. smart bombs. Exactly how is attacking empty houses and (leaking) warehouses with jets, M1's, Bradley's, and mobile artillery going to stop guerrilla attacks? Are we going to scare the guerillas to death???

We're starting to look more and more as the Israelis do on the West Bank and Gaza strip. The Israelis use the same tactics. The Muslims already think we take Israel's side in foreign affairs. Now we, the USA, use exactly the same tactics. These tactics will only further inflame the Iraqis. :disgust:
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc

Shhhhh. Ultra Quiet has rightly pointed out that we are not there and we are not military experts with knowledge of the exact reasons for these actions. Better to support than question.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Better to support than question.

Never said that, never will. Nothing wrong with questioning. Stupid declarations and shrill rants based on a couple of sound bites is another issue entirely. Questioning and supporting are not mutually exclusive activities.

I don't see any questions or questioning in this thread. Do you?

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Man, I'm starting to come off like One Note Charlie. Body count and "structure count" were important in Vietnam. After all, we have to measure progress somehow. Most of the "structures" we blew up weren't worth the cost of the shells. But it sure looke good as a statistic.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Brings to mind a time when McNamera was visiting a base in 'Nam and a General had
the opportunity to talk to him face to face and attempt to inform him what the armed
forces needed in country to sustain their efforts and keep equipment operation ready.

McNamera when he had listened (?) for a few seconds and said,
"I don't want any facts - just results'

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: PainTrain
Yeah, we all know how well this strategy has worked for Israel.

Seems to be working just fine for the Israelis, actually.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH, been living under a rock I see?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Personally, I doubt the military thinks they can accomplish anything serious in Iraq with Iron Hammer. I think it's real purpose is to provide sound bites for the Republican Neanderthals to jack off to at home. Look at that, Martha, we're gonna blow the f*ck outa those rag heads. Suey, that George is Da Man. Dat boy's got spine.

Shad0hawK

Banned
May 26, 2003

if you had over a thousand citizens getting killed by suicide bombers in restaurants, schools, and retirement homes you would too.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Shad0hawK

if you had over a thousand citizens getting killed by suicide bombers in restaurants, schools, and retirement homes you would too.
Attack Iraq?

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Shad0hawK

what country are you talking about?

Mardeth

Platinum Member
Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by: PainTrain
As far as I 'm concerned the US military is the most sohpisticated, resrourceful and devestating military of all time. I'm actually quite proud of it and it's technical accomplishments in Iraq.

Blah, not even close to top 10 of all time armys...