Only two percent of Blacks support McCain

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Vic

The 'division' between black and white is the US is misleading when you put it this way. White Americans come from many diverse cultures and origins, with different histories, and a lot of animosity between each other. OTOH, being a black American (or AA) means an almost universally shared heritage and history. They all came from more or less the same part of Africa, at about the same time period, in roughly the same way, and then shared a similar experience once they got here. Kind of like being Irish.
With that in context, no one calls it racism when I identify with my Irish heritage.

OTOH, when you say 'whites' like you did, that could mean the descendants of the Mayflower just as much as the recently-arrived Russian immigrant who just got his citizenship.

True enough. But when you celebrate your Irish heritage (St. Patricks Day is basically it for the common citizen), its a drinking holiday, so everybody celebrates it. Most people who celebrate that day probably don't even realize its an Irish holiday. They just look at it as a drinking holiday, and its about cloverleaf's and leprechaun's. Race has nearly been removed from it. Just like Christ has nearly been removed from Christmas.

Didn't the Irish have it bad during the same slavery years? Werent' they treated about the same as blacks? Having to ride on trains in the same stock cars as animals (and blacks)? That said, do the Irish also vote 90% towards Obama? That would be interesting to find out.

In the end, as I've said in previous topics on the same line, I think it would be silly for blacks not to vote for Obama. I'd think hes the closest they have to someone they can identify with, and probably ever had running for office. I think he would be the logical choice. I don't fault any of them for voting Obama. But I do think it points out that there are still race related issues in this country. Blacks, along with whites, still have a certain chip on their shoulder.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The question can be looked at two ways.

1. The fact that blacks seem to be voting along racists lines show racism on the part of blacks.

or

2. We can ask why McCain has so little appeal to black voters, a trait that the Republican party has largely earned during the last half century. But if anything, McCain is seemingly doing worse than average Republican candidate.

But in terms of lies, damn lies, and statistics, I do doubt the cited stat that Hispanics will break for McCain 62 vs. 23 for Obama. If nothing else, both parties will try to focus on getting the Hispanic votes, and its way too early to tell, IMHO, exactly how they will split. If nothing else, its disadvantage McCain because he is on the horns of a dilemma on a Hispanic issue number one. If on one hand, McCain promises to push for various forms of amnesty for illegal Hispanics, he can gain Hispanic support, but only at a price of alienating a good part of the GOP base.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
The majority of black folk are going to vote for the D candidate???? Never.

Oh wait, the D candidate happens to be black? That must explain it.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Blacks aren't racist, nobody in Obama's church is a racist and nobody in the democratic party is a racist just ask Robert Byrd.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Lemon law
The question can be looked at two ways.

1. The fact that blacks seem to be voting along racists lines show racism on the part of blacks.

or

2. We can ask why McCain has so little appeal to black voters, a trait that the Republican party has largely earned during the last half century. But if anything, McCain is seemingly doing worse than average Republican candidate.

But in terms of lies, damn lies, and statistics, I do doubt the cited stat that Hispanics will break for McCain 62 vs. 23 for Obama. If nothing else, both parties will try to focus on getting the Hispanic votes, and its way too early to tell, IMHO, exactly how they will split. If nothing else, its disadvantage McCain because he is on the horns of a dilemma on a Hispanic issue number one. If on one hand, McCain promises to push for various forms of amnesty for illegal Hispanics, he can gain Hispanic support, but only at a price of alienating a good part of the GOP base.

A large segment of Hispanics will go with whoever will give them the best shot for getting Amnesty passed and that will be Obama because he can make those kind of promises and alienate far less than he will gain in doing so.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Budmantom
Blacks aren't racist, nobody in Obama's church is a racist and nobody in the democratic party is a racist just ask Robert Byrd.
Well according to Socio.... 99% of Blacks are racist because they aren't voting for Methuselah..err.. McCain. You think The Feds mishandling of Katrina might have something to do with their mistrust of the Republican Party and their nominee who doesn't seem to be significantly different the Bush?

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Well according to Socio.... 99% of Blacks are racist because they aren't voting for Methuselah..err.. McCain. You think The Feds mishandling of Katrina might have something to do with their mistrust of the Republican Party and their nominee who doesn't seem to be significantly different the Bush?

What would you called it if 98% of Whites were supporting McCain?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Socio

Stupidity.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: cubeless
Originally posted by: OrByte
Originally posted by: brandonb
Studies indicate that if a product in advertising has a black person representing the product, blacks are more likely to buy that product. Whites on the other hand, don't care who is representing the product.

Why do you think nearly every commercial has a black person in it?

Its not racism to identify with your own race. Its only racism when whites do it.

Poor Brandon...."white guilt" is too much for you :(

:laugh:

Seeing as how just as many black voters voted for Kerry and Gore then this is a nonissue.

can't blame black voters for being smarter than repub voters :)

so dumb we won, eh?

hehehehe I wouldn't be so proud of that fact considering where the country is after the last 7+ years.

I laugh at all the "Bush04" bumperstickers back in NC and at the few here in Cali....a true badge of honor for the sheeple.

Thanks for your "victory" cubeless

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: ayabe
Studies indicate that if a product in advertising has a black person representing the product, blacks are more likely to buy that product. Whites on the other hand, don't care who is representing the product.

Its not racism to identify with your own race. Its only racism when whites do it.

Seeing as how just as many black voters voted for Kerry and Gore then this is a nonissue.

so dumb we won, eh?

Yeah I'm sure the poor people in Texas who vote Republican year after year are really feeling like winners right now.

There was an article in the WSJ today about how utility deregulation in Texas has caused their utility prices to go from being among the lowest in the country in in 2001 to being among the highest now. This was enacted by the Redder than Red state legislature and similar the CA crash a few years ago, also caused by deregulation (thanks Kenny Boy).

So yeah the poor people in Texas whose electricity prices have basically doubled in the last year sure are glad they voted Republican and will continue to do so, all the while having their necks stomped on.

At least they won't have any married gays around shoving their homosexual agenda down their kids' throats.

Wedge issues FTL, especially if you are a working class southern white person. You've been had for the past 40 years Bubba.
Is this whats really happening in Texas? HOLY cow talk about kharma being a b!tch. I remember back when the rolling blackouts were taken place in Cali several years back and those fvcking Texas utility companies fleeced californians out of $$ left and right.

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001

What would you call if 90+ of blacks supported Kerry?

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
last time i looked the country was still here...

on one hand y'all claim that gw is as powerful as god and singlehandedly has destroyed the country and on the other claim he's weak and dumb...

down the road a bit y'all might see that the economy goes in cycles; conflict has occured throughout history; sometimes events are not so easy to see through until later...

don't be mistaken, i'm not giving anyone a pass... i think the republicans have made a pathetic showing in the past 10 years or so - they were as bad as the democrats who ran things for the 40 preceeding years... some of us who were around 10-12 years ago wanted 'change' too...

sadly our political system seems to be so broken that it will take more than even a blackish man to cause the needed change...

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006

It amazes me how you can only fit so much in your head at once. People have explained over and over on P&N here why this isn't likely racism for the vast majority of those people, but you keep coming back to this one stupid statistic. If you aren't willing to consider context and additional information, then why do you bother talking to anyone, let alone posting here? :confused:

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
Originally posted by: ayabe

so dumb we won, eh?

Yeah I'm sure the poor people in Texas who vote Republican year after year are really feeling like winners right now.

There was an article in the WSJ today about how utility deregulation in Texas has caused their utility prices to go from being among the lowest in the country in in 2001 to being among the highest now. This was enacted by the Redder than Red state legislature and similar the CA crash a few years ago, also caused by deregulation (thanks Kenny Boy).

So yeah the poor people in Texas whose electricity prices have basically doubled in the last year sure are glad they voted Republican and will continue to do so, all the while having their necks stomped on.

At least they won't have any married gays around shoving their homosexual agenda down their kids' throats.

Wedge issues FTL, especially if you are a working class southern white person. You've been had for the past 40 years Bubba.
Is this whats really happening in Texas? HOLY cow talk about kharma being a b!tch. I remember back when the rolling blackouts were taken place in Cali several years back and those fvcking Texas utility companies fleeced californians out of $$ left and right.

wow, and without deregulation their costs would have never gone up??? get real... had deregulation not occured then the government would be running the power grid by now... i'm sure they'd be doing it cheaper and more efficiently...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
last time i looked the country was still here...

on one hand y'all claim that gw is as powerful as god and singlehandedly has destroyed the country and on the other claim he's weak and dumb...

down the road a bit y'all might see that the economy goes in cycles; conflict has occured throughout history; sometimes events are not so easy to see through until later...

don't be mistaken, i'm not giving anyone a pass... i think the republicans have made a pathetic showing in the past 10 years or so - they were as bad as the democrats who ran things for the 40 preceeding years... some of us who were around 10-12 years ago wanted 'change' too...

sadly our political system seems to be so broken that it will take more than even a blackish man to cause the needed change...

That's nice:roll:

newmachineoverlord

Jan 22, 2006
The strange thing is that more than 1% of any demographic would favor McCain, since his policies favor the richest 1% and don't benefit anyone else.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Wouldnt have anything to do with Mccain against making MLK a national holiday, would it?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
No, elections are all about putting together coalitions of voters. Get 50.1% of the vote and you win, if you fall short, someone else wins in a basic two party system.

Jim Crow can always afford to blow off the black vote if they can get nearly 100% of the white vote.

But when all demographics are put into play, it can become a fatal blunder to lose nearly 100% of any demographic.

And when nearly 81% of the American people think the Country is heading in the wrong direction, being McSame really puts the GOP behind the eight ball.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: DukeN
Uh, if I was black and sane, I wouldn't vote republican either.

Yeah it's really amazing that black people don't vote for a party that has made race baiting part of its electoral strategy for more then a generation.