Only in America

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
He himself should have been feeling his head. His is not the example young people need. He was appropriately fired. Real sex goes with real love and should be treated as something sacred, not as something to promote competition which is just sublimated hate. This guy slimed what is holy. It is done so much that hardly anybody today even knows.

randym431

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2003
This is where it starts. Next he'd be telling them to check the manhood of guy next to them. Brokeback basketball?

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: halik
And the pussification of the U.S. continues... :roll:

You people seem awfully defensive about that. I suggest you go out and buy a huge truck, that will make you feel nice and manly again.

Seriously, the ONLY people I've ever met who bitch about "pussification" in this country are, without exception, the most overly defensive people when it comes to their own personal manhood. "I hunt, and fish, and drive a huge truck, and can't match my pants to my shirt...I CAN'T be a pussy or a i love you". :roll:

I second that. The higher your jacked-up truck rides, the smaller your dick.

That sounds like "insecure" talk to me.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: cwjerome

You people seem awfully defensive about that. I suggest you go out and buy a huge truck, that will make you feel nice and manly again.

Seriously, the ONLY people I've ever met who bitch about "pussification" in this country are, without exception, the most overly defensive people when it comes to their own personal manhood. "I hunt, and fish, and drive a huge truck, and can't match my pants to my shirt...I CAN'T be a pussy or a i love you". :roll:

Ah well, we all know what you drive. ;):p

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

So I guess you don't see any problem what so ever with the rampant PC'ism taking hold of our society? It's getting to the point that anything that might offend one person in the slightest bit is now and forever an egregious act.

While this is a little weird, there are far worse things that occur in locker rooms and dug outs. I had baseball coaches who were pretty extreme in their motivational methods.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Originally posted by: cwjerome

Ah well, we all know what you drive. ;):p

It seems insecurity leads to envy :Q :eek: ;)

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: daniel49
Originally posted by: GoPackGo
Originally posted by: conjur
What part of the OP is "personal input"?
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...atid=52&threadid=1833582&enterthread=y

I don't see any.

And, yeah, wtf does this have to do with the RR?

Sounds more Like sexual harrassment to me.

since he hasn't responded and its a bit out of character for him, I think he is jerking your chains.;)

It actually is perfectly in character.

1. He thinks he is intelligent and tries to be witty but fails time and time again.
2. He never actually responds when people respond to his stupidity.

k1pp3r

Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: ayabe

If certain elements in our society got their way all men would be emo prisses who get their eyebrows plucked and listen to Cold Play.

Thats it, i'm moving!!!!!

That coach seems like he know how to pump up his team, i see nothing wrong with it, its not like he told them to drop there pants and jerk off

k1pp3r

Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: ayabe
I had baseball coaches who were pretty extreme in their motivational methods.

Share some, i never had any i would call extreme, but i don't blow anything up more than it is.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: shadow9d9
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/6434832

LEEDS, Maine (AP) - A high school basketball coach was fired after telling his players at halftime to reach into their pants to "check their manhood," administrators said.

Leavitt Area High School Principal Patrick Hartnett said coach Mike Remillard told the varsity boys Jan. 23 that "tonight's game was about who had the biggest (male genitalia) in town."
"He then required his players to all stand up and put their hands down their pants and check their manhood," Hartnett said in the statement, which was read to school board members Thursday by Superintendent Thomas J. Hanson a day after the coach was dismissed.

All but one player followed the coach's instructions, Hartnett said. The team won the game.

Remillard, who was in his fourth season as varsity coach, called the pep talk "normal locker room banter from Fort Kent, Maine, to San Diego, California," but said he still should not have done it.

"Was that tactic appropriate? No. And I'm paying the price for it," Remillard said.
You're either an idiot or a blind ideologue who thinks that any kind of punishment related to issues of genitalia is the fault of conservatives. Or maybe your hatred of anyone who has a different opinion than you has cut your IQ in half. I'm not sure.

Please explain to the class how, in your mind, this article, in any way, has anything to do with the "right" or "religion" or any combination of the two.

This is political correctness run amok... and as has been said a billion times already, the pussification of America.

The funny thing is that jediyoda is a conservative religious nut.... Except, he is a VERY dumb poster.. has yet to post anything intelligent in any thread in any forum.. just quotes others with one line of text with terrible spelling and no logic of his own. I think he might be trying to be sarcastic or something... he fails in all of his posts.

actually I am not a religious nut and I am not conservative!!
Judging by the quality of what you have posted about me its very obvious you are quick to jump to conclusions that have no basis of fact!

I posted this to see what kind of reaction I would get from the masses.
I was not disappointed at all!!
Several saw it for what iut was and tried to have a conversation based on the facts!

Other did not read the article at all but chimed in on the Topoic Title and Summary....

Then theres you who decvided to attack the OP......

Lots of character you have there!!

Shalom!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

LEEDS, Maine (AP) - A high school basketball coach was fired after telling his players at halftime to reach into their pants to "check their manhood," administrators said.

Leavitt Area High School Principal Patrick Hartnett said coach Mike Remillard told the varsity boys Jan. 23 that "tonight's game was about who had the biggest (male genitalia) in town."
"He then required his players to all stand up and put their hands down their pants and check their manhood," Hartnett said in the statement, which was read to school board members Thursday by Superintendent Thomas J. Hanson a day after the coach was dismissed.

All but one player followed the coach's instructions, Hartnett said. The team won the game.

Remillard, who was in his fourth season as varsity coach, called the pep talk "normal locker room banter from Fort Kent, Maine, to San Diego, California," but said he still should not have done it.

"Was that tactic appropriate? No. And I'm paying the price for it," Remillard said.
You're either an idiot or a blind ideologue who thinks that any kind of punishment related to issues of genitalia is the fault of conservatives. Or maybe your hatred of anyone who has a different opinion than you has cut your IQ in half. I'm not sure.

Please explain to the class how, in your mind, this article, in any way, has anything to do with the "right" or "religion" or any combination of the two.

This is political correctness run amok... and as has been said a billion times already, the pussification of America.

Actually The title topic and Summary were worded that way on purpose......
Yep got the results I knew would happen!! :D

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: daniel49
Originally posted by: GoPackGo
Originally posted by: conjur
What part of the OP is "personal input"?
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...atid=52&threadid=1833582&enterthread=y

I don't see any.

And, yeah, wtf does this have to do with the RR?

Sounds more Like sexual harrassment to me.

since he hasn't responded and its a bit out of character for him, I think he is jerking your chains.;)

It actually is perfectly in character.

1. He thinks he is intelligent and tries to be witty but fails time and time again.
2. He never actually responds when people respond to his stupidity.

With your 1000+ responses you don`t know people very well other than to scathingly attack them!when
This person daniel49 got it right the first time --- since he hasn't responded and its a bit out of character for him, I think he is jerking your chains.:D

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Then you have people like Moonbeam and several others who make good solid well thought out copmments!! :D

catnap1972

Platinum Member
Aug 10, 2000
Originally posted by: k1pp3r

That coach seems like he know how to pump up his team, i see nothing wrong with it, its not like he told them to drop there pants and jerk off

But I'll betcha he did when he got back his office.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Day by day, year by year, decade by decade, our society becomes coarser and coarser as everybody pushes the social envelope to be the most cool to go to the most extreme. In this way we destroy fine sensibilities and organic shame to become cooler and cooler, more bitter, more jaded, and more phony in our so called social sophistication. Sarcasm and cynicism become all the rage and simple human feelings, natural to our species for thousands of years become the brunt of jokes and ridicule. We are cool, alright, because we are emotionally dead. We know nothing of tenderness and love. Somebody would laugh at us like so many of you laugh at me. But I seen the other side of your faces and I feel the wind on my face. I love what is tender and weak and feminine, in me and in others. I dare to feel. The kingdom of heaven is within you, hidden in the places you despise. You who are hard can only shatter under a powerful blow. The soft willow yields to the wind. Come walk with me on the wild side where you will acquire the power to feel what you really feel.

Oh my Beloved! Everywere I look it appears to be Thou!

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

The funny thing is that jediyoda is a conservative religious nut.... Except, he is a VERY dumb poster.. has yet to post anything intelligent in any thread in any forum.. just quotes others with one line of text with terrible spelling and no logic of his own. I think he might be trying to be sarcastic or something... he fails in all of his posts.

Judging by the quality of what you have posted about me its very obvious you are quick to jump to conclusions that have no basis of fact!

Several saw it for what iut was and tried to have a conversation based on the facts!

Other did not read the article at all but chimed in on the Topoic Title and Summary....

Shalom!

Sorry, but the topic heading made no sense, you are supposed to have personal comments-broke the rules there... and now you make a lame and predictable attempt to make it all seem like an experiment.

THen you claim you aren't conservative or religious when your entire existance here pretty much consists of quoting ProfJon and agreeing with him with poor spelling and a bunch of lols thrown in for good idiotic measure. But yeah, you aren't conservative/religious even though EVERY SINGLE post of yours shows how much you are.

I would go as far as to say that you yet to make even ONE cohesive well thought out argument since you started posting here.... if I am wrong, please show us a link with more than 5 sentences of yours actually making some kind of argument that you think is well thought out. So far all you do is make posts quoting those you agree with and put "lols" after it.

Again, you broke the rules by not putting your own comments after the post. THis should be locked and warned.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Shalom!

Sorry, but the topic heading made no sense, you are supposed to have personal comments-broke the rules there... and now you make a lame and predictable attempt to make it all seem like an experiment.

THen you claim you aren't conservative or religious when your entire existance here pretty much consists of quoting ProfJon and agreeing with him with poor spelling and a bunch of lols thrown in for good idiotic measure. But yeah, you aren't conservative/religious even though EVERY SINGLE post of yours shows how much you are.

I would go as far as to say that you yet to make even ONE cohesive well thought out argument since you started posting here.... if I am wrong, please show us a link with more than 5 sentences of yours actually making some kind of argument that you think is well thought out. So far all you do is make posts quoting those you agree with and put "lols" after it.

Again, you broke the rules by not putting your own comments after the post. THis should be locked and warned.

Okay I broke the rules....is that truly the best you can do.....ok...corrected!!
Actually thruth be told we probably disagree in most everything ...
For example I am very pro-Israeli and pro-Jewish.....of course that comes from being a Jew...

Now lets get onto the pour speeling...again is that the beast you can dew??
You can`t attack the nessenger so you attack the spelling!
Thats very sophmoric and juvenile!
English is not my first language...which is very evident....in fact english is like my 4th or 5th language.....

You seem to have some deep seated personnal issues that you need to get professional help with...

shalom

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

Shalom!

Okay I broke the rules....is that truly the best you can do.....ok...corrected!!
For example I am very pro-Israeli and pro-Jewish.....of course that comes from being a Jew...

English is not my first language...which is very evident....in fact english is like my 4th or 5th language.....

You seem to have some deep seated personnal issues that you need to get professional help with...

shalom

I just issued you a challenge to quote ONE post of yours with substance and you couldn't do it so you avoided it. Point proven. Thanks. You'll never be able to do it because you have yet to make a post of more than 3 sentences that actually says anything. You just quote others and put some lols and "i agree" and that's all you have ever said. Please prove me wrong...

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Shalom!

shalom

I just issued you a challenge to quote ONE post of yours with substance and you couldn't do it so you avoided it. Point proven. Thanks. You'll never be able to do it because you have yet to make a post of more than 3 sentences that actually says anything. You just quote others and put some lols and "i agree" and that's all you have ever said. Please prove me wrong...

So now in your opinion everybody has to post in such a way that you approve?
If you truly had a clue you would know bwtter than that.
I find your ridicule to be very childish and assinine!
All YOU have to go is go back and search and you will see how idiotic what your saying is.
In fact those who live in glass houses should not cast the first stone....
Is it wrong to agree with others on these forums?
Is it wrong to use a thumbs up or a single word to voice your support or disagreement...lol
Whats interesting is this thread proves you worng!!
I do understand the age is 13yrs to post here..one question I have is is......
How can you be 13yrs and married?

I did read in another thread you claimed to be married.....lol....

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Day by day, year by year, decade by decade, our society becomes coarser and coarser as everybody pushes the social envelope to be the most cool to go to the most extreme. In this way we destroy fine sensibilities and organic shame to become cooler and cooler, more bitter, more jaded, and more phony in our so called social sophistication. Sarcasm and cynicism become all the rage and simple human feelings, natural to our species for thousands of years become the brunt of jokes and ridicule. We are cool, alright, because we are emotionally dead. We know nothing of tenderness and love.

Every once in a while Moonbeam delivers kernels of profound insight. (although I doubt he'd agree with where I go with this)

There are certain overriding societal changes that bring up disturbing questions about our culture. It comes at us from every direction... music, where (like the recent anti-western music thread) people find basic feelings of family, love, country, religion, and other things along those lines as corny, ignorant, and simplistic. It's all a carefully orchestrated sham the "sophisticated" critics claim.

We see it in film, where the general philosophy regarding REALITY is dark and gritty. The implicit message the American movie industry conveys is that the only choices open to us are being "realistic" or upholding moral values -- not both. I call it the art vs. entertainment dichotomy, where "serious" and artistic films (like independent movies) tend to depict man as shallow, ignorant, ugly, and doomed... while happiness, basic values, and decency mostly resides in the mainstream popcorn flicks (because they aren't really artistic or "real"). Cinema reflects the basic false ethical alternative offered by our culture... we can be hard-nosed realists and dismiss morality as irrelevant, melodramatic or intolerant -- or we can take a leap of faith and accept moral rules pertaining only to some fairytale (and commercial) realm.

If we need to alter the basic image of Superman because he is "a big blue Boy Scout," i.e., a morally pure hero, then we are in greater internal danger than any we face externally. A free society fighting for its existence against religious fascists (or any serious issue or threat that can cause society harm) needs to know that good exists, that it's possible for world's freest country to represent it well, and that it can and should triumph over evil. The modern preference for antiheroes represents a collapse into cynicism at the precise moment we need moral certainty most.

Deconstruction is the rage, even in archiecture, being the profoundly anti-intellectual notion--promulgated, of course, by the intellectuals--that every idea is just a smokescreen for some hidden agenda, that ideas must be "deconstructed," distorted and quarantined within an attitude of snide irony. Deconstruction is the philosophy of undermining every truth, every moral ideal, every intellectual or artistic standard, by turning it into a mean-spirited joke.

This, from a book I read recently, sums it up nicely: "The architecture of deconstruction is part of a culture of nihilism that is the climax and end-product of the past century's trends in art--from 1917, when Marcel Duchamp turned a urinal upside down and hung it on the wall of an art gallery--to 1952, when John Cage passed off four minutes and 33 seconds of silence as a work of music--to the end of 2001, when London's Tate Gallery awarded its prestigious Turner Prize to a room containing only a single light bulb that turned on and off at random intervals, a disconcerting effect used previously only in the torture chambers of Third World dictatorships."

This trend is wider than any particular school of art or any particular political ideology. It is about whether we take art, ideas and life seriously in the first place. It's our basic view of man and existence. What today's intellectual and artistic avant-garde wants is to break down any belief in ideas, morality and standards. It's a prescription for societal suicide. This Age of Irony has given birth to a mongrel culture of cold, detached pessimism, sarcasm, and cynicism. There is little room for idealistic views of man as capable, intelligent, and noble anymore...

Romanticism is Dead.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
"There are certain overriding societal changes that bring up disturbing questions about our culture. It comes at us from every direction... music, where (like the recent anti-western music thread) people find basic feelings of family, love, country, religion, and other things along those lines as corny, ignorant, and simplistic. It's all a carefully orchestrated sham the "sophisticated" critics claim.

I am not a musician. I do not have the sophistication to know what drives music today or where it is going. I know what music I like.

"We see it in film, where the general philosophy regarding REALITY is dark and gritty. The implicit message the American movie industry conveys is that the only choices open to us are being "realistic" or upholding moral values -- not both. I call it the art vs. entertainment dichotomy, where "serious" and artistic films (like independent movies) tend to depict man as shallow, ignorant, ugly, and doomed... while happiness, basic values, and decency mostly resides in the mainstream popcorn flicks (because they aren't really artistic or "real"). Cinema reflects the basic false ethical alternative offered by our culture... we can be hard-nosed realists and dismiss morality as irrelevant, melodramatic or intolerant -- or we can take a leap of faith and accept moral rules pertaining only to some fairytale (and commercial) realm."

I am not a film critic and cannot guess at the greatness or otherwise of modern film. I know what I call a good movie when I see it. What the intentions, sensibilities, and artistic vision is modern film is I do not feel qualified to say.

"If we need to alter the basic image of Superman because he is "a big blue Boy Scout," i.e., a morally pure hero, then we are in greater internal danger than any we face externally. A free society fighting for its existence against religious fascists (or any serious issue or threat that can cause society harm) needs to know that good exists, that it's possible for world's freest country to represent it well, and that it can and should triumph over evil. The modern preference for antiheroes represents a collapse into cynicism at the precise moment we need moral certainty most."

Beyond good and evil there is Truth, in my opinion, and it is its truthfulness that makes it powerful. I fear not the loss of truth in the war of good and evil because these truths are transcended in higher understanding. They arise out of a dualistic delusion and dissolve into unity with realization.

"Deconstruction is the rage, even in archiecture, being the profoundly anti-intellectual notion--promulgated, of course, by the intellectuals--that every idea is just a smokescreen for some hidden agenda, that ideas must be "deconstructed," distorted and quarantined within an attitude of snide irony. Deconstruction is the philosophy of undermining every truth, every moral ideal, every intellectual or artistic standard, by turning it into a mean-spirited joke."

The preservation or loss of value in society has no meaning for me because we have our being only in love. Hope and hopelessness dissolve with the appearance of ones own true being. The struggle to preserve the good, the depression of hopelessness are all the result of illusion. The Truth is and can't ever not be.

"This, from a book I read recently, sums it up nicely: "The architecture of deconstruction is part of a culture of nihilism that is the climax and end-product of the past century's trends in art--from 1917, when Marcel Duchamp turned a urinal upside down and hung it on the wall of an art gallery--to 1952, when John Cage passed off four minutes and 33 seconds of silence as a work of music--to the end of 2001, when London's Tate Gallery awarded its prestigious Turner Prize to a room containing only a single light bulb that turned on and off at random intervals, a disconcerting effect used previously only in the torture chambers of Third World dictatorships.""

The destruction of everything is fine by me because what is left is what can't be destroyed and that is the truth of which I speak. False hope and hopelessness are all one in the same, illusions. The answer lies in being what you have always been, how you were before words and ideas, a naked wonderful little monkey with capacities about which we have not yet even begun to dream.

"This trend is wider than any particular school of art or any particular political ideology. It is about whether we take art, ideas and life seriously in the first place. It's our basic view of man and existence. What today's intellectual and artistic avant-garde wants is to break down any belief in ideas, morality and standards. It's a prescription for societal suicide. This Age of Irony has given birth to a mongrel culture of cold, detached pessimism, sarcasm, and cynicism. There is little room for idealistic views of man as capable, intelligent, and noble anymore..."

The nobility of man does not depend on belief. Belief is just that, a religion, a limited view, a straight jacket as to what is right and wrong. The nobility of man is and can never be lost. It is what we are and have always been. There is no struggle or war to be fought for. All that is needed is to let go of everything you were ever taught. The idealist must drop his ideals and the cynic his negativity. Each is welded to each as if his or her life were at stake. Hehe, there is only love.

"Romanticism is Dead."

But in its place is something so much better.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

Shalom!

shalom

So now in your opinion everybody has to post in such a way that you approve?
If you truly had a clue you would know bwtter than that.
I find your ridicule to be very childish and assinine!
All YOU have to go is go back and search and you will see how idiotic what your saying is.
In fact those who live in glass houses should not cast the first stone....
Is it wrong to agree with others on these forums?
Is it wrong to use a thumbs up or a single word to voice your support or disagreement...lol
Whats interesting is this thread proves you worng!!
I do understand the age is 13yrs to post here..one question I have is is......
How can you be 13yrs and married?

I did read in another thread you claimed to be married.....lol....

Don't be mad that you can't quote one quality post you've made. I knew you'd ignore the challenge. Not even one... how sad. As you would say, "lol."