Online coffee bean sources

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm using my new Capresso conical burr coffee grinder and my 35 year old Italian Vev stainless steel stove-top mocha machine to make ~12oz cups of brew. I measure and grind 0.40 ounces at a time.

I just opened up my last bag of Costco-bought San Francisco Bay Organic Rainforest Blend (3lb bag). I have not stepped into an indoor space since middle March, when I last visited my local Costco (Richmond, CA). I have been wrestling with the idea of going there in a week or so. Yeah, I'm "at risk." The confirmed case rates in this area are the worst it's been. Local counties are on the CA state watch list, mine just added 1-2 days ago. The daily CC rate for my county (Alameda) are 3x what they were ~2 months ago (142 just reported).

I could go to the Richmond Costco (Contra Costa County, whose CC rate is also swelling) and stock up on a ton of stuff, but I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't, maybe won't. I'd want to do some research somehow. Find out about over 60's hours, when the store is thinly occupied, stuff like that.

If I don't go, I'm thinking... where will I get more coffee?

I would like delicious coffee, of course, but want bang for the buck. I'm not really into the roast... i.e. dark, medium, maybe I'm just not sophisticated in that aspect. I've bought and enjoyed both over the years. My shopper at Berkeley Bowl bought me a couple 2lb bags of organic whole bean and they branded it Berkeley Bowl IIRC, but I thought the Costco was better, it was also cheaper.

Ideas? Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: kazirashedulislam

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Dumbest fucking site ever. I registered, edited the 10% discount come-on, chose a password, still can't add anything to my cart. WTF. I figure since they're still bogarting the prices it's probably dang expensive too. Can't be a best source!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Dunno. I haven't ordered from them. Meant to, but forgot til you made this thread. That's one of my favorite coffees, but hard to find in stores anymore. I'll probably order some this weekend.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.costco.com/san-francisco...coffee,-2-lbs.,-2-pack.product.100513660.html" on this server.
Reference #18.31b7efc7.1595009426.60dc5e7

Eh, maybe it's NoScript on my Firefox. I set it trusted but still tries to buck me off. Gonna try Chrome...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That 25% is your delivery fee.
yeah, but I bet 4 would be $60. Seriously, if I went to the B&M warehouse I'd maybe buy six 3lb bags! At least 4. They used to have only 3lb bags. Around a year ago they started just having 2lb bags. Then, around 2 months ago they had 3lb bags again (my neighbor got me a couple, but she just moved).

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I tend to buy a lot of coffee from door county coffee, but, they probably are too much $$$$ (around $10 per pound if you buy 5 pound bag on sale, otherwise, more expensive.)

sample link:

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So, just called local Costco. Was told they have 60+ hours 8AM-9AM Tues. & Thurs.

They have 300 store staff, they allow up to 300 customers at a time. Must wear mask. Suggestion arrows on the floor, social distancing is suggested, not enforced. Lines they have spots you're supposed to stand on. You hold your CC, the scan through a no-touch system. Dunno, I might go, maybe not. There's other stuff I'd get.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
4 pounds would last me about 3 weeks :^D
I brew only about a pound a month. Sounds like the OP isn't too concerned about freshness, so 4 pounds should be fine. I didn't express it too clearly earlier, but what I tried to say is that Peet's will drop ship freshly roasted beans when you order online from Costco (in effect, no different from peets.com). The price is quite reasonable too.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I'm using my new Capresso conical burr coffee grinder and my 35 year old Italian Vev stainless steel stove-top mocha machine to make ~12oz cups of brew. I measure and grind 0.40 ounces at a time.

I just opened up my last bag of Costco-bought San Francisco Bay Organic Rainforest Blend (3lb bag). I have not stepped into an indoor space since middle March, when I last visited my local Costco (Richmond, CA). I have been wrestling with the idea of going there in a week or so. Yeah, I'm "at risk." The confirmed case rates in this area are the worst it's been. Local counties are on the CA state watch list, mine just added 1-2 days ago. The daily CC rate for my county (Alameda) are 3x what they were ~2 months ago (142 just reported).

I could go to the Richmond Costco (Contra Costa County, whose CC rate is also swelling) and stock up on a ton of stuff, but I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't, maybe won't. I'd want to do some research somehow. Find out about over 60's hours, when the store is thinly occupied, stuff like that.

If I don't go, I'm thinking... where will I get more coffee?

I would like delicious coffee, of course, but want bang for the buck. I'm not really into the roast... i.e. dark, medium, maybe I'm just not sophisticated in that aspect. I've bought and enjoyed both over the years. My shopper at Berkeley Bowl bought me a couple 2lb bags of organic whole bean and they branded it Berkeley Bowl IIRC, but I thought the Costco was better, it was also cheaper.

Ideas? Thanks!
There is this new fangled thing called internet shopping...

Also I think Costco site for some reason works only in Chrome. I remember it not working right in FF when I was trying to order. Called them up and they said I had to ise Chrome.

Last edited:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Amazon sells Eight O Clock...original and Columbian are both good. They have 11oz, 33oz bags (and other sizes) It's not bad compared to other brands that almost taste less fresh.

The problem with buying bulk beans is that they start to dry up and lose their oil. For whatever reason, some brands age faster. Just buy a few bags online or through grocery store pickup and see what you like.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There is this new fangled thing called internet shopping...

Also I think Costco site for some reason works only in Chrome. I remember it not working right in FF when I was trying to order. Called them up and they said I had to ise Chrome.
I'm using Chrome 1/2 the time now, FF the other 1/2.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Intelligentsia is good, as @Platypus mentioned. Kind of the Gold Standard in terms of nationwide quality coffee. Another one to try is Metric Coffee, which was founded in the early 2010s by a former roasting manager from Intelligentsia.

I also like Colectivo Coffee.

Reactions: Muse

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I tried some of those sites but couldn't figure out how to download the coffee.