Online coffee bean sources

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I'm using my new Capresso conical burr coffee grinder and my 35 year old Italian Vev stainless steel stove-top mocha machine to make ~12oz cups of brew. I measure and grind 0.40 ounces at a time.

I just opened up my last bag of Costco-bought San Francisco Bay Organic Rainforest Blend (3lb bag). I have not stepped into an indoor space since middle March, when I last visited my local Costco (Richmond, CA). I have been wrestling with the idea of going there in a week or so. Yeah, I'm "at risk." The confirmed case rates in this area are the worst it's been. Local counties are on the CA state watch list, mine just added 1-2 days ago. The daily CC rate for my county (Alameda) are 3x what they were ~2 months ago (142 just reported).

I could go to the Richmond Costco (Contra Costa County, whose CC rate is also swelling) and stock up on a ton of stuff, but I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't, maybe won't. I'd want to do some research somehow. Find out about over 60's hours, when the store is thinly occupied, stuff like that.

If I don't go, I'm thinking... where will I get more coffee?

I would like delicious coffee, of course, but want bang for the buck. I'm not really into the roast... i.e. dark, medium, maybe I'm just not sophisticated in that aspect. I've bought and enjoyed both over the years. My shopper at Berkeley Bowl bought me a couple 2lb bags of organic whole bean and they branded it Berkeley Bowl IIRC, but I thought the Costco was better, it was also cheaper.

Ideas? Thanks!
Have you thought about calling around and explaining your situation to see if anybody would deliver you 3lb of beans??

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
I like Sumatra coffee. I used to buy the Kirkland brand in-store for years until they stopped making it or just stopped selling it in my Costco area.
Used to be 15.99 to 16.99 for a three lb bag.
I see they have it at Costco Online

Where I've been buying is from Cost Plus World market. Free shipping for 49.00
I buy 2 of these 3 packs (4 1/2 lbs) for 60.00 which is 9 lbs of coffee. So around 6.67/lb delivered. Pretty close to the Kirkland brand as far as taste.
Cost Plus does have other kinds of coffee if Sumatra isn't your favorite

I also tried this from Amazon. Copper Moon Sumatra. When I bought it, I paid 12-13 for a 2 lb bag. I liked it enough to buy it again but within 2 weeks they
raised the price to nearly 30 a bag. Too much for me. I would rather get Peets for that price.
It was on my buy list and later I saw that they brought the price back down to a little over 12 bag again and if I subscribed, it would be 15% off so around 10.00 for a 2 lb bag.
I still didn't get it because I already bought another 6 bags from Cost Plus. I just happened to look right now to give you a link and I see they jacked it back to
23.27 from 12.00. Their price is all over the place. If you can get it for 12.00. It's worth a taste.

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I've been ordering roasted whole bean coffee from Verve Coffee online for a few years now. I buy the 2 kilo bag of dark roast coffee and use it in my espresso machine. The offer coffee subscriptions but you can just order as you need it too. I like their Buena Vista dark roast for making espresso. It has a nice rich flavor but not bitter.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Have you thought about calling around and explaining your situation to see if anybody would deliver you 3lb of beans??
Well, last week I ordered the 2x 2lb SF Bay Rainforest Organic package from Costco online. It's a decent deal (at $30, free shipping, arrived already). It's the same stuff I always get at the B&M Costco store.

• Love
Reactions: JEDIYoda

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
My ex-boss bought green beans from www.sweetmarias.com and roasted himself using a hot-air popcorn popper. Coffee was pretty amazing. Maybe something to try out considering everyone is stuck at home with a lot of time on their hands. :)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
My ex-boss bought green beans from www.sweetmarias.com and roasted himself using a hot-air popcorn popper. Coffee was pretty amazing. Maybe something to try out considering everyone is stuck at home with a lot of time on their hands. :)
I used my hot air popcorn popper for the first time in over 5 years a few weeks ago. Have made about 3 batches. I like it because cleanup is nil. Popping in a pot is messier, although there's some oil, which is nice. Never heard of using one to roast coffee beans. Interesting idea.

I never make microwave popcorn. Supposed to be bad for the microwave, for one thing.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I used my hot air popcorn popper for the first time in over 5 years a few weeks ago. Have made about 3 batches. I like it because cleanup is nil. Popping in a pot is messier, although there's some oil, which is nice. Never heard of using one to roast coffee beans. Interesting idea.

I never make microwave popcorn. Supposed to be bad for the microwave, for one thing.
Get a wirley pop

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
A wok makes good popcorn. It's cheap, barely harder than microwave, and little cleanup. The only thing I clean is the lid, and in winter when I make more popcorn, it usually just sits by the wok dirty, ready for the next batch.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
A wok makes good popcorn. It's cheap, barely harder than microwave, and little cleanup. The only thing I clean is the lid, and in winter when I make more popcorn, it usually just sits by the wok dirty, ready for the next batch.
I have a wok, cover too. Never heard of making popcorn in a wok. I haven't used mine in guessing 5+ years or more, but it's hanging on a nail in the corner. Had it since maybe 1985.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I have a wok, cover too. Never heard of making popcorn in a wok. I haven't used mine in guessing 5+ years or more, but it's hanging on a nail in the corner. Had it since maybe 1985.

just put a bit of oil and kernels, cover and swirl the wok.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Popcorn and salad?
Yes, and maybe a plate of pinto beans, brown rice, my home made hot sauce and cheese on top. All pretty quickie stuff, the beans and rice are already prepared, made hot sauce today. The salad's the most complex thing, but hey, a salad a day keeps the doctor away. :D

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yes, and maybe a plate of pinto beans, brown rice, my home made hot sauce and cheese on top. All pretty quickie stuff, the beans and rice are already prepared, made hot sauce today. The salad's the most complex thing, but hey, a salad a day keeps the doctor away. :D

Wtf...

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Really concious that since the lockdown I've been eating far less fresh vegetables, or fresh anything. Mostly pasta and stuff out of tins.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Really concious that since the lockdown I've been eating far less fresh vegetables, or fresh anything. Mostly pasta and stuff out of tins.
They've had a ton of salad/vegetable recalls recently too.

We put up 80 quarts of half runners (string beans) and maybe 100 pints of tomatoes with more coming on. Locally, we picked up 12 dozen ears of corn that we shucked, blanched, and cut off the cob to freeze. We planted the bean patch out at our lake property where there's flat land, though it takes serious fence to keep the deer out. Our back yard has maybe 15 raised beds with a variety of stuff my wife's planted. It's not too late to plant some Fall veggies. I need to get out and collect some apples off the tree I've got...as they're pretty much ready and I may be able to make a pie this weekend.

I suggest anyone with access to land, use it to collect what you can. I've stock-piled rice, but don't have much meat in my pantry aside form sardines, vienna sausages, and my freezer has a few packs of chicken breasts that I rotate (eat every few months and freeze more) so they don't get freezer burned. That's just so I don't have to go more than a week or two without making chicken curry of some sort.

I've got some mozzarella that I slice and put together with sliced cherry/grape tomatoes and chopped basil from the garden. I keep 25 year old balsamic vinegar on hand to drizzle over the top. I may have to do that for lunch to use the tomatoes. (otherwise, I'll have to do the labor of removing their skin and canning them...which doesn't yield much juice/sauce)

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
We don't grow much in our garden other than few herbs and few asian veggies that's not found in normal grocery stores. For regular western veggies and fruits, I find it's cheaper and easier to buy at stores while I do my weekly grocery shopping. It's not worth my time or hassle to grow it at home. Same reason I don't grow common herbs like cilantro at home since I can buy a bundle for $0.69 at stores less than 1 mile away.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Recently on Facebook I have been getting Ads for numerous Coffee Bean "Roasters". What struck me was that each one was located in some small Canadian Town/Village which on the face of it seems cool...then I started getting an Ad for a Coffee Bean Drop Shipper. Like the Drop Shipper, all these small town "Roasters" had 4 different Beans for sale. Kinda took the cool factor out of it.