Once again, President Bush misspoke on a weapons issue

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
4-15-2004 White House: Bush Erred on Mustard Gas

WASHINGTON - Once again, President Bush misspoke on a weapons issue, telling the nation that 50 tons of mustard gas were found in Libya ? twice the amount actually uncovered.

The White House moved quickly Wednesday to correct the record, with press secretary Scott McClellan seeking out reporters to point out the mistake. The president should have said in his Tuesday night address and press conference that 23.6 tons of mustard gas were found in Libya, instead of 50 tons, McClellan said.

Bush used the 50-ton figure twice.

The second time, Bush was using the example of the Libyan mustard gas disclosure to suggest that weapons of mass destruction could still turn up in Iraq. Though Bush's prewar allegations of Saddam's alleged weapons were his main rationale for going to war, none has yet been found.

"They could still be there," Bush said Tuesday of the Iraq weapons. "They could be hidden, like the 50 tons of mustard gas in a turkey farm."

The White House's fast acknowledgement of this error was sharply different from its handling of Bush's now-discredited claim in his January 2003 State of the Union address that Iraq had sought uranium from Africa for weapons.

It wasn't until July 2003 that the White House said the statement, largely based on evidence of Iraqi activities in Niger that turned out to be forged and that had been doubted beforehand by some in the intelligence community, should not have been included in the speech.

dnuggett

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
I fail to see how 23.6 tons is any less dangerous than 50. Sure there's more with 50 but 23.6 is a sh!t load to begin with. In any event I love to see these types of posts about Bush and how he "misspoke", like he was there and found it himself. He relies on intelligence gathered by various sources that is compiled and presented to his advisors, then presented to him. Are there really people out there who can't grasp this concept?

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: dnuggett
I fail to see how 23.6 tons is any less dangerous than 50. Sure there's more with 50 but 23.6 is a sh!t load to begin with. In any event I love to see these types of posts about Bush and how he "misspoke", like he was there and found it himself. He relies on intelligence gathered by various sources that is compiled and presented to his advisors, then presented to him. Are there really people out there who can't grasp this concept?
No, there are just people who refuse to.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
I think his bigger mistake was implying that the mustard gas was found in Iraq.

I don't recall his speech mentioning they were found in Libya.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur

Maybe he should have mentioned the 40 or 50 planes they found in iraq instead.

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Originally posted by: dnuggett

Yes there are. And The Concept is this.

With the MANY intelligence Failures that Have happened Again and again, There is no urgency in improving this.

This Should Be the Main Reason Why anyone Shouldnt vote For Bush.

He has Failed to Even FIRE anyone Yet for any intelligence Problems. They Have made Little Evident Changes to checking information at all.

And the Worst part is, the President seems to prefer this "Ability" to "interpret" the Intelligence and what Priorities are to Fit his "Agenda"

If GWB really carred about the National Security of the United States, He would push to return Crediblity and Accuracy back into the intelligence communities.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: nutxo

I wasn't aware Cold-War era MiGs that were buried, unprotected, in sand were considered WMDs.

rolleye.gif

Shelly21

Diamond Member
May 28, 2002
I don't think this particular reference is a big deal comapre to "WMD" and "No WMD".

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003

Mig Planes are not WMD's.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

I wasn't aware Cold-War era MiGs that were buried, unprotected, in sand were considered WMDs.

rolleye.gif

I myself would not consider a mig a WMD(unless of course it is being used a delivery platform). But i think it does show how far Saddam would have gone to hide things....

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: charrison

rolleye.gif

I myself would not consider a mig a WMD(unless of course it is being used a delivery platform). But i think it does show how far Saddam would have gone to hide things....

Are sure it wasn't part of his research network. He might have been trying to build an underground submarine type vichical that he could drive to isreal and blow up all the jews there.

Get real all it shows is that Saddam use the desert as a dump.

Shad0hawK

Banned
May 26, 2003

no, that was the component level ingredients for it found in a weapons storage facility that the dems dismissed as "something that could have a legitimate use"

of course "dual use" chemicals always have other uses(maybe that is why they are called..."dual use?) and components found in a weapons storage facility of course had nothing to do with weapons...

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Spencer278

rolleye.gif

Are sure it wasn't part of his research network. He might have been trying to build an underground submarine type vichical that he could drive to isreal and blow up all the jews there.

So you dont find it unsusual to bury complete working planes?

But if you want to consider it a dump, do you find it possible that other things are dumped out there as well?

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002

rolleye.gif

But if you want to consider it a dump, do you find it possible that other things are dumped out there as well?

I'm sure other stuff is dumped out in there to. I wouldn't be surprised if we find WMD some where in Iraq evidually of course bush claimed to know where the weapons where so it won't help his case for war any.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

rolleye.gif

I'm sure other stuff is dumped out in there to. I wouldn't be surprised if we find WMD some where in Iraq evidually of course bush claimed to know where the weapons where so it won't help his case for war any.

linkage

Looks like this one was wrapped in plastic, sure it was dumped?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
You know, I honestly thought when he said it that he was referring to a turkey farm in Iraq. I'm sure I'm in good company, you know, with all those Americans confused by his constant references to Iraq and 9/11 in the same breath. ;)

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001

rolleye.gif

Yeh, because we all know that a plane cant crash into a building and kill 1500 people. Its this kind of denial that makes terorrist attacks possible.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

rolleye.gif

Yeh, because we all know that a plane cant crash into a building and kill 1500 people. Its this kind of denial that makes terorrist attacks possible.
So according to you those planes are what the Dub was refering to when he told the tale of vast quantities of WMDs in Iraq as his main centerpiece for invading and occupying Iraq?

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

rolleye.gif

So according to you those planes are what the Dub was refering to when he told the tale of vast quantities of WMDs in Iraq as his main centerpiece for invading and occupying Iraq?

Red, you usually see things a little more clearly than this. Are you just trying to make a point?

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001

rolleye.gif

f-14's f15.s and f-18s are cold war era planes . "cold war era" does not mean obsolete or ineffective. The mig 25 is the fastest combat aircraft on the planet and can easily out run a missile.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: etech
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

rolleye.gif

Red, you usually see things a little more clearly than this. Are you just trying to make a point?
Just pointing out that nuxto's comment that these planes are WMDs is at best foolish.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Those planes would never make it to the U.S. without refueling. That is, assuming you could get them rehabbed and working after all that sand was removed from the engines and other critical systems.