On the path to a sociopath?

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
I caught a cockroach in my room a couple hours ago. I was playing some classical music, mainly Beethoven's Piano Sonata 14 'Moonlight' because it was on my radio station that time. I viciously dissected the bug alive with a small surgery kit I bought some years ago. I guess I was bored from trying to study.

I don't do this often but when I find bugs or anything that I consider a pest in my room, I try my best to catch it alive and cut it open with a razor blade. Is there something wrong with me?

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
When my mom sees insects, she grabs a pair of scissors and cuts'em in half while they run.

I've lit various bugs on fire and gone at'em with kitchen knives to observe the two halves operating apart from each other.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
The fact that you do it, and the fact that you are now bragging about it on an internet forum suggest that you have some sort of problem.

But that's ok so long as you don't live in the same state as me.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Did you wet the bed when you were a child?

A criminal prosecutor friend told me that bed wetting and animal abuse are sure signs of an emerging sociopath. There was a third sign, but I can't remember what it was.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
The only thing I do that's similar is when I catch bugs, I throw them in the toilet, and proceed to pee on them. I dont do this often, but it happens.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
I was about to put up the remains on a toothpick and place it on the carpet to warn other bugs to stay away from my room. But that would of attracted more, like ants.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Honestly, I do find it disturbing.

My personal understanding of compassion is that it should be extended to all living things, and the world as a whole.

I don't allow most bugs to reside with me, they get put outside (sometimes a little forcefully). Ants, are persistent and generally require an attempted genocide to get my point across, but I do try and prevent them coming in so things don't escalate to that point.

I could never dissect a living thing, unless it was required for some greater purpose. I wouldn't do it out of boredom or spite though.

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
Originally posted by: invidia
I caught a cockroach in my room a couple hours ago. I was playing some classical music, mainly Beethoven's Piano Sonata 14 'Moonlight' because it was on my radio station that time. I viciously dissected the bug alive with a small surgery kit I bought some years ago. I guess I was bored from trying to study.

I don't do this often but when I find bugs or anything that I consider a pest in my room, I try my best to catch it alive and cut it open with a razor blade. Is there something wrong with me?

If you're a biology major or something, I guess you're safe. If not, you may be SOL :p

Nathan

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: djheater

My personal understanding of compassion is that it should be extended to all living things, and the world as a whole.

I don't allow most bugs to reside with me, they get put outside (sometimes a little forcefully). Ants, are persistent and generally require an attempted genocide to get my point across, but I do try and prevent them coming in so things don't escalate to that point.

I could never dissect a living thing, unless it was required for some greater purpose. I wouldn't do it out of boredom or spite though.

You don't think that you're actually "teaching" the bugs anything, do you? Because if so, instead of being a sociopath you're delusional.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Do you consider annoying people as pests? If so, you might want to consider losing the surgery kit.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: invidia
I was about to put up the remains on a toothpick and place it on the carpet to warn other bugs to stay away from my room. But that would of attracted more, like ants.

is it bad that i laffed at that? ive had the same thought about bugs in my house... but then i realize they probably wouldnt get the message.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Triumph
Originally posted by: djheater

You don't think that you're actually "teaching" the bugs anything, do you? Because if so, instead of being a sociopath you're delusional.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I believe that as a compassionate being, I must also be compassionate toward other beings, whether or not they are 'taught' anything is not the point, in fact it's not even a consideration.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Triumph
Did you wet the bed when you were a child?

A criminal prosecutor friend told me that bed wetting and animal abuse are sure signs of an emerging sociopath. There was a third sign, but I can't remember what it was.

The third sign was breathing through your mouth.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: eLiu
When my mom sees insects, she grabs a pair of scissors and cuts'em in half while they run.

I've lit various bugs on fire and gone at'em with kitchen knives to observe the two halves operating apart from each other.

Is she a ninja? Gotta be mad skillz to snip it in half like that. I'm passive, I leave insects alone or "blow" them, more like AT them, with my own mouth if they get close. If they get too close unexpectedly, I haul as* and squeal... No, you may not have my mancard; I soiled it after the house centipede ran at me...

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
This one time I found a skunk in my back yard. So I gave it some sleeping pills and it fell into my pool...

Am I a sociopath?

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Imp
Originally posted by: eLiu

Is she a ninja? Gotta be mad skillz to snip it in half like that. I'm passive, I leave insects alone or "blow" them, more like AT them, with my own mouth if they get close. If they get too close unexpectedly, I haul as* and squeal... No, you may not have my mancard; I soiled it after the house centipede ran at me...

Haha no, but years of practice have honed this particular skill. I think my sister is getting into it too. Every summer we get an ant invasion despite our best efforts to give the ants no reason to visit... so mom kills'em, hardcore style.

Edit: I mean like crawling bugs... mostly ants, but the occasional roach/beetle. She can't cut flies or mosquitoes; that'd be insane.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: hypn0tik
This one time I found a skunk in my back yard. So I gave it some sleeping pills and it fell into my pool...

Am I a sociopath?

LOL BEST REPLY! 10/10

edit: you ARE referencing that one famous thread right? Where ATOT intervened and pwned the OP? lol

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
Originally posted by: hypn0tik

Am I a sociopath?

if you did it out of retaliation after it sprayed you, no.

if you did it out of pleasure and for the comedic value, yes.