Olympus announces E-420

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
I am definitely interested in the price of the e-420 + 25mm pancake. If the price is right, I may just bite. +1 for Olympus putting a CF card slot in this baby! :)

punchkin

Banned
Dec 13, 2007
Originally posted by: tdawg
I am definitely interested in the price of the e-420 + 25mm pancake. If the price is right, I may just bite. +1 for Olympus putting a CF card slot in this baby! :)

I wouldn't buy from that particular site, though.

Neither would I. Not because I don't want to, but rather, because it's not a merchant site. It's a review site. They don't sell stuff at that site. This is your first post in this thread, and you've already proven you don't have a clue what you're talking about. The rest of the thread seems to reinforce that.
DrPizza
Anandtech Moderator

EDIT: Ye gods, what a snotty tone. I don't expect that sort of treatment from a moderator. I saw the "Store" tab, assumed it meant that there was a "store" on the site, checked resellerratings and posted a warning-- all in the space of about ten seconds. Your conclusion that I don't have a clue is absurd.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
too small for me. I need a nice beefy hand grip.

Edit:

HAHAHA They actually have a graph with an axis labled "Seriousness" hehe.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: punchkin

You can buy stuff from this site? I thought it was a review site like dpreview. Anyway, I'm sure most of us get our photo gear from reputable places like B&H, but thanks, punchkin.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004

You can buy stuff from this site? I thought it was a review site like dpreview. Anyway, I'm sure most of us get our photo gear from reputable places like B&H, but thanks, punchkin.

I think the street price is going to be $699 for the body + pancake, so expect a few dollars less from an online retailer.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
oh shit, i want one.

actually, I take that back, I thought it was thinner than it is, heh. If it were $499 w/ the pancake... then I'd be more likely to jump at it again :p or if the pancake pricing were for an f/1.4/1.8. Yes, I'm dreaming.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: randomlinh
oh shit, i want one.

actually, I take that back, I thought it was thinner than it is, heh. If it were $499 w/ the pancake... then I'd be more likely to jump at it again :p or if the pancake pricing were for an f/1.4/1.8. Yes, I'm dreaming.

Even an f/2 would be nice, but maybe that would just make it longer. I'd make do with the 50mm (equiv.) f/2.8 though, in this size. Talk about inconspicuous. :)

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
The smallest setup I've used to date is my friend's Nikon D40 (about $350 used) paired with a Nikon Series-E 50mm f/1.8 pancake lens (about $30 used).

Looks like this; another picture.

The E-420 is a little smaller, but you also have to shell out major coinage for 4/3 lenses. I can buy inexpensive Nikon glass any day of the year.

punchkin

Banned
Dec 13, 2007
No, I'm saying that the lack of sensor stabilization on the camera is a negative. The lens isn't all that fast on that particular format-- a 50mm f/5.6 equivalent is not exactly a dream from a speed standpoint.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
High marks for stupid arrogance, though! :cookie:

Things to do daily by punchkin:

1-Post something that is short, stupid and with no explanation.
2-Wait for replies.
3-Lash out saying something even dumber.

punchkin

Banned
Dec 13, 2007
Originally posted by: foghorn67

Things to do daily by punchkin:

1-Post something that is short, stupid and with no explanation.
2-Wait for replies.
3-Lash out saying something even dumber.

Too bad I missed out today... and all the other days of my life. Are you Fardringle's second account, or just stupidly arrogant in your own right? Off topic much?

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Too bad I missed out today... and all the other days of my life. Are you Fardringle's second account, or just stupidly arrogant in your own right? Off topic much?

lol. keep digging deeper buddy.

Unless you care about dof, why are you saying it's like a f/5.6?
Despite the 2x conversion factor, it's going to capture the same light as a f/2.8 on a 1.6x, or FF.

punchkin

Banned
Dec 13, 2007

Despite the 2x conversion factor, it's going to capture the same light as a f/2.8 on a 1.6x, or FF.

Incorrect. It will capture much less, because there is less surface area.

I dug all the way to the forum guidelines, which say this:
1) No trolling, flaming or personally attacking members.

Guess you missed that. No problem.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
The lens isn't all that fast on that particular format-- a 50mm f/5.6 equivalent is not exactly a dream from a speed standpoint.

Uhhh... what?

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006

Explain this surface area thing.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006

I dug all the way to the forum guidelines, which say this:
1) No trolling, flaming or personally attacking members.

Guess you missed that. No problem.

So 4/3rd cameras collect 50% less light?

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
i thought all olympus cameras has sensor based stabilization, ala sony and pentax

gar655

Mar 4, 2008

Uhhhh It will have the same exposure at 2.8 as any other camera regardless of sensor or film size.

F2.8 is F2.8 no matter the size of the recording element.

punchkin

Banned
Dec 13, 2007
Originally posted by: gar655

Uhhhh It will have the same exposure at 2.8 as any other camera regardless of sensor or film size.

F2.8 is F2.8 no matter the size of the recording element.

... except that it is the equivalent of f/5.6 on full frame. The 4/3 sensor has only a quarter the surface area, so collects a quarter the light (two stops less).