Okay I bought the Nexus 7...now what?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I will try not to go on another of my anti-tablet rants. However, I must say that I am overall very disappointed in my Acer A100 7" tablet. It has all the bullet points(camera, GPS), it is just that almost everything is slow and buggy, or doesnt work satisfactorily. I find that the camera is useful, and it is good for watching netflix and surfing the net, but that is about all. It is not even that great for answering e-mail because the virtual keyboard covers almost the entire screen and makes replying to any mail very difficult. The size makes it nice for taking on trips to surf the net and check e-mail at least.

Among the problems are poor wi-fi connectivity, poor sensitivity to GPS satellites, mediocre battery life, and a host of software bugs, the worst of which currently is that it thinks the memory is full, when half is actually free, so every time I start up it tries to download the same updates over and over because it thinks there is not enough memory so it errors out.

Does the A100 even run Android 4.1 Jellybean? The Nexus 7, as a pure Google device, running Android 4.1 (now updated to Android 4.2) doesn't have any of those problems.

Welcome to the world of android tablets. I had similar issues with my Gtab and I refuse to spend hours of my day trying to figure out why it sucked.

Non-Nexus tablets you mean. The N7 (and N10, from what I heard) are free from those issues.

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
I am asking people who own this to give me some pointers on this device. What should I install on this as far as apps go that are worth while? Any help is appreciated. I dont care about games. Thanks

Is there a site to register this unit for the warranty? I could not find it.

Ask yourself…Why did you bought this Nexus 7 for? If you don't know then you wasted your money. :p Everyone bought tablets for many reasons. I bought an iPad so I can use Facebok/Twitter and watching movies so I downloaded Facebook/Twitter app and Netflix app. :p

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
I use my tablet(s) as comic/magazine readers, media consumption using Hulu, Netflix, Crackle, Xfinity , games, social media using Facebook, Flipboard, Pulse, Currents,& Tapatalk. Also as a calender & daily planner.

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
I am getting my tablet loaded with music and would like to know what app is used to play avi files. Can avi files ( movies) from torrent sites work on this unit? Thanks