Okay I bought the Nexus 7...now what?

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by mrrman, Nov 20, 2012.

1. mrrman

mrrman Diamond Member

I am asking people who own this to give me some pointers on this device. What should I install on this as far as apps go that are worth while? Any help is appreciated. I dont care about games. Thanks

Is there a site to register this unit for the warranty? I could not find it.

#1 mrrman, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Best thing would be to go through the Play Store and see what interests you. What apps you should install depend entirely on what you want to use the tablet for.

3. bonkers325

bonkers325 Lifer

some sort of RSS feed reader would be nice - i use justreader which ties into my google reader

FBreader for ebooks

netflix, youtube, qqplayer

4. mrrman

mrrman Diamond Member

Thanks...where do you find FBreader?

5. Vdubchaos

Vdubchaos Lifer

Another Tablet user that jumps on the hype wagon, gets home and is trying to figure out why in the world he even considered such a device.

:cool:

6. Raduque

Raduque Lifer

I'm of the mind that if you don't already know what you want from such a device, you probably shouldn't buy one.

7. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

This is true. I bought my tablet cause I wanted to watch movies and sports on something more comfortable to use than a laptop, and be able to take it with me on the go.

8. bigrash

bigrash Lifer

I have a bunch of games on my Nexus 7. Plays realy nice on it.

Other than that, maybe watch movies, read books?

9. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

I use Teamviewer to remote into other pcs/laptops in the house and at work.

10. s44

s44 Diamond Member

Play Store, of course.

Don't forget Tapatalk -- tablets are much better for wasting time on forums than your phone. ;)

As for the rest, I'd refer you to the general "must have apps" threads except they're all a bit dated now.

11. darkewaffle

darkewaffle Diamond Member

I don't have a tablet but if I did I'd probably enjoy playing old emulators on it, though the touch screen doesn't really suit many of them they're worth a look.

12. AnMig

AnMig Golden Member

I use my Nexus 7 mostly for media consumption and web browsing when I am outside the house, on the couch or on the bed, on the commode.

Really easy to transfer media: movies, TV shows from your computer to the the N7, drag and drop for the win. I no longer bring my lap top to work since I hardly do work on it . Size is perfect for portability.

Favorite free video player MXplayer
    NOOK ap for reading books
    Netflix
    Hulu plus
    Vulkano player (watch TV streaming from your home)

ES file explorer-view/copy and paste networked files or folders
    Dropbox
    AK notepad: for note taking that you can sync with your other Android devices
    Flixter

Of course this is a Nexus device so very easy to unlock and root. I have been rooted and have been using different ROMS since buying the device.

Thought of getting a 10 inch tab but size really takes away the portability. Wife rarely uses her Ipad out of the house.

13. luv2liv

luv2liv Platinum Member

Tapatalk for forums.
    tons of games in Google Play store if you are into games.

i dont understand how anyone can watch a movie on a tablet.
    sometimes i feel im the only abnormal person on the planet who prefers to watch movies on a big screen engulfed by surround sound.

14. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

When we have the technology to fit a big screen and surround sound into our pockets to bring out whenever and where ever we are, I will agree with you. Until then, I'm happy watching my movies and tv shows while laying comfortably in bed.

The only thing I watch on the living room TV is live sports.

15. mrrman

mrrman Diamond Member

I mainly wanted an eReader for PDF files...just want to see what else this thing can do...

16. Subyman

Subyman Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
    Super Moderator

Hell, I just bought one to begin developing on and I can't even get past the "Select Wifi" screen to set the damn thing up. I've got 2 macbook pros, 2 ipads, and a craptop working on the wifi but the Nexus just keeps saying "connecting..."

17. lopri

lopri Elite Member

18. lopri

lopri Elite Member

For media playback that built-in player isn't capable of dealing with (such as .mkv):

MX Player

DicePlayer

I chose DicePlayer. Of course nothing stops you from getting everything and test them out yourself.

19. sygyzy

sygyzy Lifer

Is this your first tablet or touch screen device? Serious question.

20. lopri

lopri Elite Member

In case you decide to root (Google for pluses/minuses of rooting as well as how-to's), this one tool saves money by having everything in one package. It's quite slow running, though.

ROM Toolbox Lite

And this one if you're against rooting.

System Tuner

Most of apps have free, ad-supported versions, so you don't have to pay upfront without knowing what you're getting. Definitely try first before buying. Check out user reviews and leave your own after testing an app.

Oh, and my favorite live wallpaper

Koi Free Live Wallpaper

#20 lopri, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  21. ericlp

ericlp Diamond Member

One app I really like is the anandtech forum app itself! :)

I bought one because I wanted to sit out on my deck and was too tiresome to hold a laptop to cruise the internet. I also take it to college with me. WIFI is all I need.

My apps are facebook app, gmail (I have several accounts). I put utorrent on mine to get a movie or two...

I also have a few mind games like word bees and tapblock, card games. etc...etc... I have a craigslist app ... I load up a bunch of current mag's that sync in case I get board and am with out internet.

I fing good drive, google voice and a host of other google stuff work great on this... I use google maps and gps. I also use run keeper and bring along on my hikes.

There is just too many apps to try them all. That's another thing... It just takes too long and a lot of the apps are a disappointment to me... Since I'm expecting too much of them. But I only try the free ones. So...

Still looking for a good craigs list app the one I got is kinda buggy and crashes when you try different things.

All in all I'm a google fan and just having chrome, gmail, maps etc..etc... I'm pretty damn happy. I'm sure I left out a few other things I do with my tablet but... That's the gist of it. I have the ted app and I watch youtube on it as well.

Happy tabbing.

22. frozentundra123456

frozentundra123456 Diamond Member

I will try not to go on another of my anti-tablet rants. However, I must say that I am overall very disappointed in my Acer A100 7" tablet. It has all the bullet points(camera, GPS), it is just that almost everything is slow and buggy, or doesnt work satisfactorily. I find that the camera is useful, and it is good for watching netflix and surfing the net, but that is about all. It is not even that great for answering e-mail because the virtual keyboard covers almost the entire screen and makes replying to any mail very difficult. The size makes it nice for taking on trips to surf the net and check e-mail at least.

Among the problems are poor wi-fi connectivity, poor sensitivity to GPS satellites, mediocre battery life, and a host of software bugs, the worst of which currently is that it thinks the memory is full, when half is actually free, so every time I start up it tries to download the same updates over and over because it thinks there is not enough memory so it errors out.

23. deputc26

deputc26 Senior member

Hey can you confirm that 25$ play store credit still comes with the n7

24. cheezy321

cheezy321 Diamond Member

Welcome to the world of android tablets. I had similar issues with my Gtab and I refuse to spend hours of my day trying to figure out why it sucked.

25. Tom

Tom Lifer

Nexus 7 hasn't given me any trouble, neither has our Kindle Fire HD.