Ok who pulled the trigger & ordered the 1090-T ?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
well, now there must be some different units in F@H. ATM, the 1090T is doing 16,808 and the 920 is doing 10,644. I have been watching these for 2 days on different units. Bottom line ? same OS and memory, motherboards are both the cheapest for the platform (almost) and the 1090T @ 4.1 is kicking the 920@3.7 by more than 30% average, and it runs cooler, and even the 920 has twice the cooling capacity.

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
I got my 1090T last Friday. I haven't had to much time to overlclock it yet. I been busy rebuilding a server last couple of days.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Is it odd that the stock cooler is beating a big typhoon in cooling a 1090? Im getting loads on the typhoon in the 60s now after a bios reflash and starting over. Was getting serious weirdness before. Now Im getting temps trough the roof. I have reseated the BT 5 times today-day off- and with 4 different pastes getting questionable loads. Switched over the the stock to see if something is up with my BT and sure enough the stock cooler did a couple of degrees better. Oh well switching to something better.

Lets see I have a Zalman 9700NT on a shelf thats never been opened. I have two scythe Ninjas that I think wont work this board. I have a Corsair H50 that I pulled from a HTPC. I have a megahalems that I would have to mod to work.

What cooler should I use? The mega is a last resort since I would have to buy a plate and mod it.... I dont know why I have such a aversion to the 9700 but I would have thought the BT would have cooled better.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Is it odd that the stock cooler is beating a big typhoon in cooling a 1090? Im getting loads on the typhoon in the 60s now after a bios reflash and starting over. Was getting serious weirdness before. Now Im getting temps trough the roof. I have reseated the BT 5 times today-day off- and with 4 different pastes getting questionable loads. Switched over the the stock to see if something is up with my BT and sure enough the stock cooler did a couple of degrees better. Oh well switching to something better.

In my experience, the BT needs different airflow that a standard L-shape tower to work. It also likes fans with a lot of static pressure. There are situations where you can have excellent case airflow from front to back but kill the BT's performance by giving it a fan with poor static pressure and by forcing it to pull in air at a 90 degree angle just to breathe.

Not to say that you're doing anything wrong, really, it's just that it wants a vent and an air guide in the side of the case, or some really aggressive case fans blowing directly down onto it. Or an open-sided case.

Lets see I have a Zalman 9700NT on a shelf thats never been opened. I have two scythe Ninjas that I think wont work this board. I have a Corsair H50 that I pulled from a HTPC. I have a megahalems that I would have to mod to work.

I would go with the H50 in that situation. The Megahalems would perform better, but mods can be a hassle sometimes.

What cooler should I use? The mega is a last resort since I would have to buy a plate and mod it.... I dont know why I have such a aversion to the 9700 but I would have thought the BT would have cooled better.

The h50. The 9700NT kinda sucks (just don't let JediYoda catch me saying that). The BT can be awesome with the right fans and with a good top-down cooling setup, but for most builds that just isn't feasible given current trends in case design. Also, sadly, the BT is fairly limited in the total heat load it can handle; anything beyond 130W and its sketchy. It really does hail from a different era, which is why it was fine (if not awesome) when cooling my x2-3600+ with an open-sided case but why it might suck cooling an x6.

If AMD is shipping the same stock HSF it shipped with Phenom IIs, then it is the AVC Z7U7414001. For point of reference, check out this test of the IceAge Boss II on frostytech's AMD test platform to see how the Z7U7414001 stacked up against a huge number of other heatsinks:

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2461&page=4

That should give you a pretty good idea of why the BT might have had problems cooling better than the stock AVC HSF. It makes a lot of noise, but dammit, it works.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Thanks a TON DrMRLordX!!

I wonder if having the BT open air on my bench was limiting it. Its is rather warm here in my office so ambients are a tad high. I actually found a older 9700NT I used to use on a q6600 that was lapped so I installed that one-I would never buy 9700NTs but they were given to me by a vendor- and its now running prime loaded at 63ish going on a half hour in the unseasonably warm temps of my office over the garage.
I will end up using the H50 once I find the shin etsu. My parts closet is a fine mess right now since I had to give up my old workspace so I could build an addition to our house to house our 5 month old triplets.

I have resisted to retire this BT for years now. Guess its time. Will put it on the shelf next to the assorted 15 or so HSFs from yesteryear.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Thanks a TON DrMRLordX!!

I wonder if having the BT open air on my bench was limiting it. Its is rather warm here in my office so ambients are a tad high.

Hey, no problem.

Oddly, Big Typhoons usually like open-air scenarios. It's close-sided cases with slow case fans blowing down on them that usually choke them (or no case fans on the side + no side vent). It may be that you've just exceeded the practical cooling limits of the Big Typhoon with an x6.

I actually found a older 9700NT I used to use on a q6600 that was lapped so I installed that one-I would never buy 9700NTs but they were given to me by a vendor- and its now running prime loaded at 63ish going on a half hour in the unseasonably warm temps of my office over the garage.

Not bad actually . . . lapping might do wonders for those things. Hell lapping helped my Big Typhoon VX. It was scratched all to hell on its base when I first got it.

I will end up using the H50 once I find the shin etsu. My parts closet is a fine mess right now since I had to give up my old workspace so I could build an addition to our house to house our 5 month old triplets.

Good old Shin-Etsu. x23-7783D was my paste-of-choice until I went Ultra . . .

I have resisted to retire this BT for years now. Guess its time. Will put it on the shelf next to the assorted 15 or so HSFs from yesteryear.

21-fan salute.