Ok so I installed a computer in my car yesterday.. **NOW WITH WORKING PICS**

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ScrapSilicon

Lifer
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: DanFungus
sweet! I'm going to do the same in my car, but it's going to be expensive for me...I'm going to go full out! I'm interested in how you did it though :D Tips are ALWAYS good!

yep :)

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
What kind of car is this? I've been in the mp3car scene for a while now... had quite the setup in my last car. My sister totalled it though... now I have a 1999 Ford Explorer. Nice and spacious for a car computer. I'm planning on getting a system in it and functioning quite well within a few weeks.

Drew

MisterPresident

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2002
How much did it cost you in time/money? I've always wanted to do this, but I've never seen any real advantages over buying a CD/MP3 head unit, especially as prices keep dropping.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Time a few hours. It was worth it just for the fun factor. Costwise is less than a new headunit because I had most of the materials already, and I can run DVD and GPS all through the computer. Dunno, I like it this way better.

Originally posted by: MisterPresident
How much did it cost you in time/money? I've always wanted to do this, but I've never seen any real advantages over buying a CD/MP3 head unit, especially as prices keep dropping.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Very nice. I helped my buddy make and install an in-car Computer. However, we custom built the box with wood. We originally planned to install it in the trunk's side (you know how on the side of the trunk by the wheels you have empty space..its behind the carpeting)? Well we tried to fit it in there so it would be hidding from view. However, we were to stupid to think about the width of the wood we used...so we had some problems..and it ended up sticking out by quite a bit.

The LCD install was sweet though, another friend of ours pretty much did that. The wiring still hasnt' been completed (since he doesn't care anymore) and its using a inverter from WalMart as well.

Before LCD went in
After..btw my friend made the MP3-cataloguing software himself.

I'll try ot find pics of the computer itself. Btw that box was a work of ingeniouty. We used velcro to hold the hdd in palce (which worked awesome btw...last over a year till it finally started falling off (it was upside down) ).

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
ok yahoo pics dead already, I am loading them up to another site. Had to register though first, so might be a little bit...

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: wyvrn

PICS coming soon, just registered with a new site

You already had a domain registered, right? Or did you register another domain?

Which web host did you switch to after leaving addaction?

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I never moved to another host, too lazy :(

Originally posted by: RossMAN
Originally posted by: wyvrn

PICS coming soon, just registered with a new site

You already had a domain registered, right? Or did you register another domain?

Which web host did you switch to after leaving addaction?

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Ok got pics up now on a free host. There are a couple of popups, but nothing big. Enjoy and feel free to pm if you have questions.

DrumminBoy

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2002
thats awesome, what are the specs on the machine? And if you get the chance, could you get some pics of the contraption you made for the hard drive, it sounds interesting.