Ohio man shoots into the air, cops kill him.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Life is hard. Its harder if you're stupid.

and theres nothing here about shooting blanks, so the other option is real bullets. And shooting real bullets into the air is INCREDIBLY stupid. Your odds of killing yourself or your many family members are actually pretty good. Or a neighbor. And I think Americas gun obsession goes too far when you feel the need to burn ammo for no good reason. Next time spend a day at the range.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Firing celebratory AR rounds in a city is considered normal behavior? What in the fuck?

Wife says he was shot "out of the blue." Yikes.

Tons of people do it even though it is quite unsafe.

If the cops just shot and killed somebody because they were armed on their own property that's not good at all. Though given the complexion of the person killed I doubt most gun rights people care because they're usually terrible racists also.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Out west here in the Rockford area Comcast's cables were cut by bullets on NYE, wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was a stray bullet from people "celebrating" like this. My fiance's friend who lives just a bit northwest of us told her people were shooting off guns there too on NYE, not too surprising as you get far more rednecks the closer you get to WI. That said I don't think he should have been shot, people doing this should be arrested and their guns taken away.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Shot him through the fence
3f89615b-4075-4848-8d14-ed5e1d0e7e94-police_shots_follow_21.JPG

My neighborhood is filled with inconsiderate assholes who think setting off fireworks at late hours on every holiday (Christmas eve at midnight, Easter, 4 weeks before forth of July, Thanksgiving)

To be completely honest, I have zero sympathy for a family that normalizes shooting rounds into the air after midnight.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Shot him through the fence
3f89615b-4075-4848-8d14-ed5e1d0e7e94-police_shots_follow_21.JPG

My neighborhood is filled with inconsiderate assholes who think setting off fireworks at late hours on every holiday (Christmas eve at midnight, Easter, 4 weeks before forth of July, Thanksgiving)

To be completely honest, I have zero sympathy for a family that normalizes shooting rounds into the air after midnight.
Wait, wtf? They fired blind through a fence? How did they confirm the target and that the firing line was clear? Or is this another one of those 'cops were in danger, good shoot' things?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Or is this another one of those 'cops were in danger, good shoot' things?

Actual danger is not required just the perception of the possibility of it. The cops can bast you right in the face for no reason if they are simply worried you pose a threat and they stand a good chance of encountering stiff penalties like riding a desk for a few months or paid leave before getting back on the job.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Play with guns, reap the consequences.

Guns are not toys, and never should be used as such.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Reminds me of the time this thoroughly soaked in alky drunk lurched his way down the stairs of the house we were partying at on New year's Eve waving a bolt action rifle in the air that had it's butt stock sawed off yelling the usual New Year's cheers. Fireworks were going off in full swing and only a few people noticed his antics until somebody yelled "He's got a gun! Drop the gun! Drop it!" Well the guy chambered a round, waved the rifle around a bit and fired it at about a very dangerous 45 degree angle and chucked another round home whereupon every single person there ran for cover in panic mode while he fired off what was left in it.

The kicker? Some kids across the street were hooping and hollering and cheering the guy on for more, their parents nowhere to be seen. I ducked behind a utility pole and watched the whole surreal scene play itself off in real time thinking somebody is going to get killed aaaaaany moment now. Luckily nobody got shot, the drunk dropped the rifle and slogged his way back in the house. Somebody ran in there after him to make sure he didn't have anything else to celebrate with.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Wait, wtf? They fired blind through a fence? How did they confirm the target and that the firing line was clear? Or is this another one of those 'cops were in danger, good shoot' things?

They can play the "There were other shootings earlier in day that we had to respond to therefore please place this blue live matter sticker on your car" card.

At the end of the day, police be like

Jan 25, 2011
How stupid do you have to be to say this without realizing how bad an argument this is?

His life was in danger, because you didn’t announce yourself.

He was randomly firing live rounds. What goes up must come down. EVERYONE was in danger.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Firing celebratory AR rounds in a city is considered normal behavior? What in the fuck?

Seems there are two places it's part of the culture - some parts of the US, and the middle-east.

Every year a number of people are killed by falling bullets.

Someone I know in the US described seeing a guy come out of his house at the turn of the New Year, and in the glummest, most desultory manner imaginable, point a hand-gun into the air and fire a couple of shots and then shuffle back indoors again....as if it was just one of those things you were obliged to do, but he really wasn't "feeling it" this year.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
every year lots of idiots shoot into the air on holidays and every year lots of people get hurt or killed by said air shots.

and said idiots say nothing can be done about it.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
A good shoot. No issues with what happened. Firing guns into the air is an active danger to the community.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
But it's a tradition.

Marquetta Williams said the gunfire was an annual tradition in their neighborhood, with many neighbors also firing shots.

Couple more pics of fence from here.

5ddd1475-7fad-491c-ac08-9661e82b3699-police_shots_follow_09.JPG

603b1947-6c12-425e-9ef2-75fa6afbc771-police_shots_follow_33.JPG

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
See?

SEE???!!

Now the plot changes.
MANY people in the neighborhood were doing it but for some reason only a black man was shot and he also was not warned.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
cops in the wrong, should be charged. also, for the race people... how did they even know the race of the guy if they shot him through a fence?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Discharging a weapon within city limits is usually not permitted. Nothing worth getting shot over though. It appears as if the cop was more dangerous in this situation firing blindly through a fence.

Reactions: Bitek

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
There should be huge maga rallies where they all have guns, all aim perfectly straight up, like by using protactors and other devices, and all fire celebratory shots. Then just stand there hugging each other for like 30 minutes.