Ohio Auto Dealers Want Laws to Keep Tesla from Selling Cars Online

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
I suppose you're unfamiliar with the average American?

No matter how stupid their actions, no matter how much fault rests with them - and this is particularly true for dumber ones - they're going to complain to their Congressperson or other govt agency. You might say they will just complain to a lawyer, but lawyers are only happen to listen after write a big check.

I still don't see why you f'up a system that works perfectly well just to benefit some boutique company. Oh, yeah, it's 'green' and is the darling of libs.

Like I said before several times, you let Tesla do this, you gotta everybody else do it.

No thanks.

Fern

So its bad to protect the average American from something like consuming too much soda but good to protect them from Tesla? People who can afford 70k+ cars are not average Americans....

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
LOL, politics certainly brings out the fickleness of people.

"I hate locally owned dealerships and small businesses! Let the billionaire do what he wants!"

You mean the dealerships that greet you by saying "welcome to we like your money motors. Please assume the position and drop your pants to make it easier for your salesman to f*ck you."

Sorry, I'm all for small businesses...but dealerships (more often than not) are a bunch of evil f*cking bastards hell bent on taking the customer for every penny they are worth. The saturn model was GREAT...except Saturns were overpriced. I welcome the ability to buy a car knowing the firm price and not suffer dealership markups.

Jun 18, 2000
You mean the dealerships that greet you by saying "welcome to we like your money motors. Please assume the position and drop your pants to make it easier for your salesman to f*ck you."

Sorry, I'm all for small businesses...but dealerships (more often than not) are a bunch of evil f*cking bastards hell bent on taking the customer for every penny they are worth. The saturn model was GREAT...except Saturns were overpriced. I welcome the ability to buy a car knowing the firm price and not suffer dealership markups.
o_O Of course it's overpriced. That was the entire point. No haggle, hassle free.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
o_O Of course it's overpriced. That was the entire point. No haggle, hassle free.

My point is that basically seeing the price online from the manufacturer and paying that (without dealer markups) and then paying the transfer/licensing fees on your own makes a hell of a lot more sense...rather than arguing with the salesman (and manager) about how much they're going to lose on this one sale and how poor they are. (I've literally gotten a sob story from a salesman. After he got done berating me for what he assumed my political views were.)

Let tesla sell online. Let ALL auto manufacturers do it, IMO. It's time the auto industry move to the 21st century.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
So its bad to protect the average American from something like consuming too much soda but good to protect them from Tesla? People who can afford 70k+ cars are not average Americans....

No, that's nothing like the point I was trying to make.

What I was trying to say was that from the POV of state Congresspersons I don't think they would want to touch this. It's going to create a metric ton of headaches they'll be dealing with for years.

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
My point is that basically seeing the price online from the manufacturer and paying that (without dealer markups) and then paying the transfer/licensing fees on your own makes a hell of a lot more sense...rather than arguing with the salesman (and manager) about how much they're going to lose on this one sale and how poor they are. (I've literally gotten a sob story from a salesman. After he got done berating me for what he assumed my political views were.)

Let tesla sell online. Let ALL auto manufacturers do it, IMO. It's time the auto industry move to the 21st century.

You're not doing it right, and you can buy new cars on the internet: http://www.carsdirect.com/

Check out their new cars, looks to cover it all.

Fern