Oh, that song is about THAT???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

freak-o-a-l

Oct 9, 1999
Creed's "Higher" is more of just a song about how he wishes the real world was like the world in his dreams
"Although I would like our world to change
It helps me to appreciate
Those nights and those dreams
But, my friend, I'd sacrafice all those nights
If I could make the earth and my dreams the same
The only difference is
To let love replace all our hate"

As for the song I listened to and then realized what is was about, The Misfits "Dust to Dust". I just figured out a few days ago it is about abortion (I think), anyone else know?

SufferinSuccotash

Jun 4, 2000
Let's see...

Goodbye, Stranger -- Supertramp: Kicking a drug habit
I Can Feel it Coming in the Air Tonight -- Phil Collins: A song to a man he saw kill his friend.

Those are the only two good ones I can think of right now. I'll add more when I think of them. I used to know about 2 dozen.

chipbgt: Yeah "Semi-Charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind. I don't think many people know what it's about but it has references to doing crystal meth and all. Most radio stations also chop out about 30 seconds of the song.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
chipbgt, you mean Semi-Charmed Life (Third Eye Blind)...the song is about doing speed and various other drugs.

Edit: Guess I should've refreshed the thread before I replied...

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
    • DEAD FINKS DON'T TALK
      by Brian Eno from the album Here Come The Warm Jets - 1973

Oh cheeky cheeky
      Oh naughty sneaky
      You're so perceptive
      And I wonder how you knew.

But dead finks don't walk too well (oh no)
      A bad sense of direction (oh no)
      And so they stumble round in threes (oh no)
      Such a strange collection.

Oh, you headless chicken
      Can those poor teeth take so much kicking?
      You're always so charming
      As you make your way up here.

And dead finks don't dress too well
      No discrimination
      To be a zombie all the time
      Requires such dedication.

"Oh please sir, will you let it go by,
      'Cos I failed both tests with my legs both tied
      In my place the stuff is all there
      I've been ever so sad for a very long time.

My my, they wanted the works:
      Can you this? and that? I never got a letter back
      More fool me, bless my soul
      More fool me, bless my soul."

Oh perfect masters
      They thrive on disasters
      They all look so harmless
      Till they find their way up here.

But dead finks don't talk too well
      They've got a shaky sense of diction
      It's not so much a living hell
      It's just a dying fiction.
Dead Finks Don't Talk 4:20
http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=591811150/pagename=/share/soundclip.html/itemdescriptionid=340094/disc=01/track=08/source=MP2/mpeg=2/mp2.mp2

Here Come The Warm Jets
http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=591811150/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/popsearch.html

?Dead Finks Don?t Talk is the most randomly generated of my songs. I wrote the lyrics at home
with my girl-friend with a cassette of the backing track from the studio. I sang whatever came
into my mind as the song played through. Frequently they?re just nonsense words or syllables.
First I try for the correct phonetic sound rather than the verbal meaning. Off the top I was
singing ?oh-dee-dow-gubba-ring-ge-dow.? So I recorded these rubbish words and then I turned
them back into words. It?s the exact opposite of the technique used in phonetic poetry where
words are changed into pure sounds. I take sounds and change them into words.

?Dead Finks is not about Bryan Ferry. After all the music was recorded and the words written,
Chris Thomas (my producer and Roxy?s as well) said, ?you?ll get me shot for that track. It?s
obviously about Bryan.? So I listened back to it and it obviously was. It was certainly
something I hadn?t realised. Essentially all these songs have no meaning that I invested in
them. Meanings can be generated within their own frame-work. It may be a very esoteric thing
to talk about but I don?t think it?s entirely out of the question.?
-- Brian Eno

http://www.hyperreal.org/music/artists/brian_eno/index.center.html

catseye

Jan 15, 2000
I cant believe this thread got so long without mention of ZZTops 'pearl necklace'.

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
"SemiCharmed"

also "Smack My Bitch Up" great lyrics/video there ;)

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
I cant believe this thread got so long without mention of ZZTops 'pearl necklace'.

Me neither, catseye. :)

Ozzy Osbourne's "Momma, I'm Comin' Home" is a song he wrote about reconciling with his wife after he almost killed her during a drug-induced episode.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Handel's The Messiah, it's about satan worship.

and Mozart's The Magic Flute, was the up for the theme song of American Pie. up, LOL :p

And the Four Seasons, was about a restaurant... :p of course the piece had no lyrics to speak of...

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
national anthem (US) about war of 1812, well, written as a poem of sorts...

<edit, forgot about a comma, after the word well...>

wake

Oct 9, 1999
Dwell: Prison sex is about how he was raped as a child. Most of Korns songs are about that too.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
&quot;national anthem (US) about war of 1812, well written as a poem of sorts...&quot;

And set to an olde English pub melody. It was fun when 20/20 showed that episode and people were so incredulous. :D

Rocket Man (Elton John)

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
Alot of people do not realize Yankee Doodle is an insult, written by the English against the Yank's. We just took it over and made it our own. ;)

jyrixx

May 31, 2000
al's war by less than jake, is about a guy named al and his life with his parents...
also, bloodhoung gang, the vagina song, is about finding a new vagina.. duh.

astroview

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
Hervey Danger's &quot;Flagpole SItta&quot; where the verse goes:

fingertips have memories
mine can't forget the curves of your body
and when i feel a bit naughty
i run it up the flagpole and see who salutes
(but no one ever does)

Didn't occurr to me that running up the flagpole meant masturbation until I was randomly listening to the song.