Oh, that song is about THAT???

Ok, what's your vote on the best song you heard many times before realizing what the lyrics were really about?

My votes:

Smashing Pumpkins - "33" (it's about Jesus)
Faith No More - "Epic" (it's about a female body part)

TomC25

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999
The "Thong Song"

I thought it was about those summer flip-flop sandle type shoes. ;)

kidding

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Many people request "Every Breath You Take" by the Police at weddings, but don't really realize it's a stalker song...

TomC25

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999
Actually when I first started to listen to Metallica (Kill Them All just came out) I never really listend to the lyrics. I would listen to them when I Skateboarded and at partys. Then some years later after Master of Puppets came out, I really listened to the title track. I heard the line "chop your breakfast on a mirror" and said "Oh, that song is about THAT!"

Sometimes I like to listen to a song, but pay no attention to the lyrics. Just the beat and the mood of the sound is all I need.

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood. I ran around my house at 12 singing that song, until my father heard me and almost had a heart attack. Hey, I had no clue what it was about. I also got in trouble for singing Like a Virgin too.... :D

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
I am not a huge Alanis Morresette fan, but I recently found out what the title track of her "Jagged Little Pill" was all about. If you listen to the words it makes it clearer. That was a pretty good album, they say the song is about fellatio.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit. Even now, after having read them, the lyrics make no more sense to me than schizophrenic dribble, particularly the last 5 lines (counting a denial only once here).

Smells Like Teen Spirit

Load up on guns and bring your friends
It's fun to lose and to pretend
She's over bored and self assured
Oh no, I know a dirty word

Hello, hello, hello, how low? (x3)
Hello, hello, hello!

With the lights out, it's less dangerous
Here we are now, entertain us
I feel stupid and contagious
A mulatto
An albino
A mosquito
My libido
Yay! (x3)

I'm worse at what I do best
And for this gift I feel blessed
Our little group has always been
And always will until the end

Hello, hello, hello!

A mulatto
An albino
A mosquito
My Libido
Yay! (x3)

And I forget just why I taste
Oh yeah, I guess it makes me smile
I found it hard, it was hard to find
Oh well, whatever, nevermind

Hello, hello, hello!

A mulatto
An albino
A mosquito
My libido
A denial !! (x9)

One Of These Days (Neil Young)

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
the best has got to be "smack my bitch up" by prodigy, well actually not the song, but the video, woa talk about a trip, i love that video.

dam()

Jazar

Mar 27, 2000
Genesis' "Jesus he knows me".

I believe in the family
with my ever-loving wife beside me
but she don't know about my girlfriend
or the man I met last night.

Dirty Sanchez

Nov 15, 1999
Creed claims they're not a Christian band, they sing about Christian things because that's what they know...they grew up with it, not because they necassarily believe it.

To answer the question...

Metallica- Master of Puppets (drugs)
Tool- Eulogy- (self-appointed martyrs, e.g. Jesus)
Tool- H. (raising a son)
Tool- Stinkfist (de-sensitizing (sp?) of society)
Tool- 46&2 (evolution, 46 + 2= 48, as in chromosomes)
Pink Floyd- Comfortably Numb (the record company giving them drugs to get them on stage)

Sanchez: What's Tool's "Prison Sex" about? Prison Sex, I vaguely can remember the lyrics, it don't seem to be about that subject.

0beron

Jun 1, 2000
Don't know why, but it took like the 5th time for me to realize what

"I do both Jay and Jane" by LaRissa

was about. Guess I just wasn't listening to the words!

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
"Alive" by pearl jam is about a guy who's all messed up in the head after having sex with his mom.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Well Creed could be called relgigeos, not nessisarily Christian, most religeons believe in some kind of "higher" place.

Though the band says what they write is just good lyrics, and implies nothing. They also state their not a religeos band.

"Alive" is about how Vedder's mom hid from him the fact that the man he knew to be his father was really his step-father. His real father died of cancer years before. He never got a chance to meet him or even knew he existed.

A lot of people think that "Better Man" is a love song. It's really about domestic abuse.

Lot's of Pearl Jam songs are facades for messed up topics.

Dirty Sanchez

Nov 15, 1999
I'm not sure if Master of Puppets is about cocaine specifically or drugs in general..."chop your breakfast on a mirror" is definitely about cocaine, but the rest of the lyrics are pretty unspecific...

Prison Sex is about sexual abuse as far as I know. :)

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
Rolling Stone 10/28/93
by: Cameron Crowe
FIVE AGAINST THE WORLD

"Alive" set the tone for everything that would follow. The first song on Ten was also the first song to bring - attention to the band. It was clearly Vedder's creative breakthrough, and the band's initial video celebrated a cathartic live performance of the song. In an early Los Angeles Times review, writer Chris William had even compared the song to the Who's "My Generation."

Today, "Alive" is a Gen X rallying cry, but tonight, sitting in the
Nightlite, Vedder reveals the true meaning of the song. "Everybody writes about it like it's a life-affirmation, thing - I'm really glad about that,' he says with a rueful laugh "It's a great interpretation. But 'Alive' is ... it's torture. Which is why it's f-ed up for me. Why I should probably learn how to sing another way. It would be easier. It's... it's too much."

Vedder continues: "The story of the song is that a mother is with a father and the father dies. It's an intense thing because the son looks just like the father. The son grows up to be the father, the person that she lost. His father's dead, and now this confusion, his mother, his love, how does he love her, how does she love him? In fact, the mother, even though she marries somebody else, there's no one she's ever loved more than the father. You know how it is, first loves and stuff. And the guy dies. How could you ever get him back? But the son. He looks exactly like him. It's uncanny. So she wants him.

The son is oblivious to it all. He doesn't know what the f- is going
on. He's still dealing, he's still growing up. He's still dealing with love, he's still dealing with the death of his father. All he knows is 'I'm still alive' - those three words, that's totally out of burden."

Elvis' "Suspicious Minds" blasts on the jukebox as Vedder continues. "Now the second verse is 'Oh she walks slowly into a young man's room... I can remember to this very day . . . the look . . . the look.' And I don't say anything else. And because I'm saying, 'The look, the look' everyone thinks it goes with 'on her face.' It's not on her face. The look is between her legs. Where do you go with that? That's where you came from."

"But I'm still alive. I'm the lover that's still alive. And the whole
conversation about 'You're still alive, she said' And his doubts: 'Do I deserve to be? Is that the question?' Because he's f-ed up forever! So now he doesn't know how to deal with it, so what does he do, he goes out killing people - that was [the song] 'Once.' He becomes a serial killer. And 'Footsteps,' the final song of the trilogy [it was released as a U.K. B side to 'Jeremy'], that's when he gets executed That's what happens. The Green River killer... and in San Diego, there was another prostitute killer down there. Somehow I related to that. I think that happens more than we know. It's a modern way of dealing with a bad life."

Then he smiles as he says, "I'm just glad I became a songwriter."
http://users.aol.com/pearljam92/rockin/pj/frames.htm

Celstar

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
"Go West" by the Pet Shop Boys

They were really singing about going "west" to a liberal city like San Francisco, where homosexuality is acceptable.