oh noes! painted dogs eat kiddie

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Watching 2nd video of wild fucking african dogs ripping baby impala to pieces, and you got this dumbass bitch saying how she's gonna be sick from watching the scene unfold. What do you think is gonna happen in the wild fucking plains of africa? It ain't gonna be lion fucking king that's for sure. Dumb bitch...

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
this is one of those things where you see it happening, and you freeze because you are too busy WTF'ing in your head that it actually is happening, and it is so bizarre you don't have a action plan in your head

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
These things have the second strongest bite (bite strength in relation to body mass) in the mammal kingdom - second only to Tasmanian devils. Now factor in the fact that these things are larger than devils, the bite is probably around the same apparent strength (damage done to victim). That, and they roughly the same size as the vast majority predatory mammals, perhaps slightly smaller, so potential damage has got to be some of the highest among the mammalian world.

And you hang your toddler over the edge?

I get it - for the mother, it had to be the most horrific scene imaginable. I cannot imagine what she went through. Here you are, in the developed world, watching your kid become dinner in the most shocking manner. So, at a risk of not showing any class, yes, I do have a hint of sympathy.

That's not a site that anyone needs to ever see or ever imagine.

Hopefully this doesn't result in glass-walling every exhibit of dangerous animals. Open-air viewing environments are wonderful in zoos - I always hate the small, walled-in, glass-wall exhibits. One, it sucks for the animals - two, it sucks even looking in there. It removes the entire feeling of viewing an animal going about life.

We don't need to cater to the most ignorant and unfit of society. We can't. Well, we could... but it would be a miserable life for the rest of us (going beyond zoo-specific implications). I'm sure there were plenty of warning signs prohibiting such awfully stupid actions. Don't let someones clueless mistake cause a cascade of "to the benefit of the public" responses.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Watching 2nd video of wild fucking african dogs ripping baby impala to pieces, and you got this dumbass bitch saying how she's gonna be sick from watching the scene unfold. What do you think is gonna happen in the wild fucking plains of africa? It ain't gonna be lion fucking king that's for sure. Dumb bitch...

A little angry eh? Don't get me wrong....She is obviously ignorant, but I'm not gonna fault her for being upset by watching something die. What is the beef?

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
"In the spring of this year, nine of the 11 painted dogs escaped a section of their enclosure causing a brief shutdown of the zoo."

"Ms. Baker said at that time on May 5 that the dogs got into a 1.5-acre "backup yard" not visible to the public, but the dogs were not out of their exhibit."

The rest of it yeah not that big of a deal

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
The railing only needs to be so high as to prevent the reasonable person from stumbling over without intent

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

I don't know why but that made me laugh. :D

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
There was also a mesh net on the other side of the ledge but the poor kid probably hit at an angle and he bounced out. Outside of noise factor CCW would not be of much help, these dogs went into "pack" meantality the moment the kid hit so no clear shot unless you've got enough balls to jump in and shoot from there. Mom Darwin'd her kid in a horrible tragic way, she needs 5 minutes in the pit as punishment..

Jeffg010

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2008
k1kg8.jpg

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/crews-probe-report-childs-death-pittsburgh-zoo/nSxFp/

Here you can see where the kid fell. There was some netting but did not save the kid. The kid fell 11 feet.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
from the article:

Angela Cinti, 20, of Bethel Park, who was visiting the zoo today with her boyfriend Nick Kramer, 16, of Bethel Park.

go dude!

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
that's a kodiac moment?

dude these were dogs not bears. get your animals right!

anyway the mother killed the kid. that was a stupid fucking move. It won't surprise me if she want'ed to kill the kid.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
dude these were dogs not bears. get your animals right!

anyway the mother killed the kid. that was a stupid fucking move. It won't surprise me if she want'ed to kill the kid.

You are right. This is a kodiak moment

NSFW!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWpzxzDGxr0

Anyway, RIP to the child, it's awful that either a parent wasn't watching the child closely or the parent engaged in negligent behavior that would likely cause such a terrible result.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
That lady is going to be forever traumatized about that decision to help a 2yo up on the fence.

That's what I was thinking. It was a bad decision, but it's still very sad that it ended up the way it did. I hope I never make a mistake bad enough to injure or kill my child, I'd be seriously depressed for the rest of my life.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Well that sucks, this had better not come back to the zoo for the mother's utter negligence though. And short of superman swooping in to catch the kid in midair I don't think he (she?) could have been saved, I would wager the damage done by them would have been lethal almost instantly.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Two thoughts:

1) Why the hell would you stick your toddler up on a railing where he can fall into a pen full of carnivores

2) Why isn't the fence higher? I'm trying to picture how it was set up when they say a 4 foot fence and an 11 foot mesh enclosure. Was the exibit below grade and the kid fell 11 feet? (Like the bear exibit in Anchorman)

dustb0wlkid

Jul 16, 2010
they had gist "let da dogs out" a few months earlier so they knew they had a problem.

Apparently you do not know how to read. The dogs "escaped" into their fenced secondary enclosure. At no time were they ever a danger to anyone. Only one person is to blame here: the stupid parent. It's a shame that an endangered animal had to die because of that.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Because you don't need a tall fence.

I dunno. I've never seen a zoo exibit where you could easily fall into the enclosure. Usually there is a small fence to keep people away, and then a gap, and then another larger fence to keep the animals secure.

Stupid mom either way.