oh noes! painted dogs eat kiddie

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
My foreign neighbor in Croatia is a doctor and he's told us that in medical schools in his country they advise their docs not to tend to sick people on flights because of potential lawsuits. Americans will sue anybody for anything. It's ridiculous, frankly. It's one of the reasons our healthcare costs are so high.

I hope any lawsuit is tossed out of court. The woman shouldn't be charged with anything either, though. Having to lose your kid is enough punishment to last a lifetime. Obviously she's the guilty party here, but I wouldn't expect anyone to point fingers... other than some of the P&Ntards that frequent this place.

I expect patrons to sue the zoo for "pain and suffering" and for the mother to sue for not making the barriers high enough so that she wouldn't accidentally toss her baby over into the exhibit.

It could have been worse..it could have be a Piranha exhibit or an Alligator exhibit :)

lk2500

Oct 12, 2011
Yeah and then people get sued by the people they were trying to help. The mom didn't even jump in after her kid. The hell if I'm going to jump in and get mauled.

So, let me ask all you chest thumping ATOTers a question. Let's pretend it's your kid and wife. You turn your back for one second and you turn around and it's your two year old now falling into the pen. Do you automatically jump in after?

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
So, let me ask all you chest thumping ATOTers a question. Let's pretend it's your kid and wife. You turn your back for one second and you turn around and it's your two year old now falling into the pen. Do you automatically jump in after?

I call my lawyer and find out how to stop child support.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

First of all, it wouldn't have happened. Aside from the fact it was a pit full of top predators, it was 11' down. That was extremely dangerous even if it was a pit full of bunnies. Let's say I became temporarily retarded and let my kid stand on a rail without me holding him. The first rule of rescue is to not become a victim yourself. Judging by the way they took apart an impala, I don't think I'd be going into the pit with them, my kid or not.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011

Answering honestly here.

Before I saw The Gray starring Liam Neeson, no.

After I had seen the movie, yes. I now know what a man can do in these kinds of situations. It took away my fear and replaced it with courage.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
article-2227757-15DC0415000005DC-279_634x348.jpg

article-2227757-15DC041C000005DC-924_634x342.jpg

this virtual view makes me sad :( if it were my kid, i'd jump in without a 2nd thought.

has clamum posted anything useful yet?

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Oct 25, 2006
this virtual view makes me sad :( if it were my kid, i'd jump in without a 2nd thought.

has clamum posted anything useful yet?

You better give it a second thought. A jump like that will severely hurt you if you're not ready for it, and don't land properly. Even if you DID land properly, still a decent chance of your hurting your back,breaking something, and also the fact that there are wild animals down there already in pack hunting mode.

You would just be more meat.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
News flash: Even parents are not perfect human beings.

I'm SURE she didn't want her kid to fall/die/get eaten.

I would have jumped to save the kid though......

People make mistake, unfortunately for this lady she will have to live with her mistake for the rest of her life.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
You guys go right ahead and jump in there and get mauled too. You wouldn't have been able do anything.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
You better give it a second thought. A jump like that will severely hurt you if you're not ready for it, and don't land properly. Even if you DID land properly, still a decent chance of your hurting your back,breaking something, and also the fact that there are wild animals down there already in pack hunting mode.

You would just be more meat.

11ft is not a difficult jump (unless you're a fattie). i'm pretty sure i could do it. why didnt people at least throw their shoes away from the kid? dogs like to fetch dont they? any distraction may have helped. this story has been bothering me for a few days.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
You guys go right ahead and jump in there and get mauled too. You wouldn't have been able do anything.

How do you think we tamed and domesticated wild animals? By being pussies or by jumping in the pit?

lk2500

Oct 12, 2011

I think we all realize that. But I think most fathers would automatically jump in and try. I probably would do it without even thinking. Do you have kids?

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
How do you think we tamed and domesticated wild animals? By being pussies or by jumping in the pit?

Unless you're some bad ass African guy who grew up around these animals and can take them down with your bare hands...I'd say that for the rest of the regular world, guns, nets, and some other weapons were probably used to capture and domesticate animals.

Also, I think you confuse being domesticated with being held in captivity. These dogs were wild animals being kept in captivity. They weren't Lassie, Bingo, and Spot...WILD Animals!

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
Because we don't have strong enough laws on bystanders. There are so many layers of authority and people in place whose job it is to help, so people feel perfectly comfortable sitting and watching the show. If we had harsher laws on bystanders and punishing people who could have helped but didn't, a lot of tragedies would be averted.

We call police and firefighters heroes, but doing so makes the rest of us cowards, we all need to be heroes, and if it takes harsh punishments on those who don't act, then so be it.

Call them the coward laws.

In a case such as this, I dunno that anyone would think it a good idea to hop in with the beasts unless you had a means to seriously hurt the dogs (baseball bat, gun, etc.). If it were one dog... sure, maybe. 11? Those are some piss poor odds, especially with a predatory animal.

Now, if that were my kid, yeah, I would jump in before giving two thoughts. Problem is, I'd be dead with the kid, most likely. But first and foremost, that kid doesn't get positioned above the fence rail without two hands on him at all times.

It's sad that things like this have to happen to stand as a reminder to not be a fucking idiot, but apparently...

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009

Sure, my kid would be eaten over my dead body though. I wouldn't want to live after a mistake like that anyways so

Now, if that were my kid, yeah, I would jump in before giving two thoughts. Problem is, I'd be dead with the kid, most likely. But first and foremost, that kid doesn't get positioned above the fence rail without two hands on him at all times.

Kid could've slipped out. Accidents happen....that's why they are called "accidents".

Sure it's a bad judgement by the parent but it happens.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Unless you're some bad ass African guy who grew up around these animals and can take them down with your bare hands...I'd say that for the rest of the regular world, guns, nets, and some other weapons were probably used to capture and domesticate animals.

Also, I think you confuse being domesticated with being held in captivity. These dogs were wild animals being kept in captivity. They weren't Lassie, Bingo, and Spot...WILD Animals!

Good points.

I think in addition to taking these wild animals into captivity we should also bring the requisite numbers of indigenous "bad asses" to be able to control them in case something goes wrong. If there were a handful of african bad asses this could have been avoided.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
lol, dogs weren't forcibly domesticated. They were domesticated over thousands of years by natural selection. The dogs that had genetic traits that favored friendliness towards people survived much better because they weren't afraid to approach the waste and garbage that humans were leaving out. Eventually they grew to depend on that as a food source and became more and more dependent on people

These "wild dogs" are nothing like domesticated dogs. They'll rip you to pieces in a heartbeat. They don't like playing fetch and getting belly rubs.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Sure, my kid would be eaten over my dead body though. I wouldn't want to live after a mistake like that anyways so

Kid could've slipped out. Accidents happen....that's why they are called "accidents".

Sure it's a bad judgement by the parent but it happens.

An accident would have been the kid slipping between posts on the railing and falling in (without help). This parent STOOD the child up on TOP of the barrier and didn't hold on to him. I don't deem that an accident. She did something stupid on purpose.

I think in addition to taking these wild animals into captivity we should also bring the requisite numbers of indigenous "bad asses" to be able to control them in case something goes wrong. If there were a handful of african bad asses this could have been avoided.

I'm detecting quite a bit of sarcasm here.

This is the type of shit that can happen when you take an animal out of its natural habitat and put it in a pen for a bunch of humans to stand there and watch. Did you ever hear the one about the Whale trainer at SeaWorld who was doing a show with a killer whale that she'd been performing with for quite a while? Guess what happened? The Whale got tired of her, jumped out of the water, grabbed her, and dragged her underwater. She drowned...and EVERYONE watched. Nobody did a thing.

Who do you blame, the whale or the human? Whales come from a natural body of water that is thousands of miles long/wide. The whale at Seaworld was being kept in a pool that was a few hundred feet wide........go figure.

Last edited:

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
lol, dogs weren't forcibly domesticated. They were domesticated over thousands of years by natural selection. The dogs that had genetic traits that favored friendliness towards people survived much better because they weren't afraid to approach the waste and garbage that humans were leaving out. Eventually they grew to depend on that as a food source and became more and more dependent on people

These "wild dogs" are nothing like domesticated dogs. They'll rip you to pieces in a heartbeat. They don't like playing fetch and getting belly rubs.

So false I worry that maybe I shouldn't even quote the material for fear that more are exposed to it.

Did you pull that completely out of your ass or did you hear it from someone else and haven't yet learned how completely false that is.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
So false I worry that maybe I shouldn't even quote the material for fear that more are exposed to it.

Did you pull that completely out of your ass or did you hear it from someone else and haven't yet learned how completely false that is.

Early wolves would, as scavengers, be attracted to the refuse left at human campsites. Dr. Raymond Coppinger of Hampshire College (Massachusetts) argues[14] that those wolves that were more successful at interacting with humans would pass these traits on to their offspring, eventually creating wolves with a greater propensity to be domesticated. The "most social and least fearful" wolves were the ones who were kept around the human living areas, helping to breed those traits that are still recognized in dogs today.[12]

From the wikipedia article on dog domestication. I learned it watching a documentary several years ago on dogs.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
An accident would have been the kid slipping between posts on the railing and falling in (without help). This parent STOOD the child up on TOP of the barrier and didn't hold on to him. I don't deem that an accident. She did something stupid on purpose.

I'm detecting quite a bit of sarcasm here.

This is the type of shit that can happen when you take an animal out of its natural habitat and put it in a pen for a bunch of humans to stand there and watch. Did you ever hear the one about the Whale trainer at SeaWorld who was doing a show with a killer whale that she'd been performing with for quite a while? Guess what happened? The Whale got tired of her, jumped out of the water, grabbed her, and dragged her underwater. She drowned...and EVERYONE watched. Nobody did a thing.

Who do you blame, the whale or the human? Whales come from a natural body of water that is thousands of miles long/wide. The whale at Seaworld was being kept in a pool that was a few hundred feet wide........go figure.

To further my point, if the requisite number of people who capture wild killer whales were on staff and prepared, the whale could have been stopped before it killed the trainer.