Oh no... this does not look good for Democrats in terms of 2024 outlook.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hail The Brain Slug

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
When I think about how many redesigns of driver's licenses there have been in my state over the past 3 decades (in the name of preventing fraud)...it does seem a bit odd that they haven't made any improvements on Soc. Sec. cards.

I realize that it's only a name and number as opposed to a photo ID, and the number is what can't be (easily) faked if entered into a gov-connected system, but I get what you mean.

It is a legal document that functions as a primary or secondary form of ID in many cases, it should have some kind of security feature to prevent it being falsified.

But also, just out of practicality it could be made of paper that doesn't wear/wrinkle just with a glance, and the ink could be something more sophisticated than what I'm pretty sure is just a typewriter.

The ink on my original card is very faded. If they issued a better card it could actually last a lifetime.

Reactions: Pohemi

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Me, too. But I recently made a my social security account to get accurate reads on my estimated payout at retirement and noticed they offer a free reissuance of your social security card upon request. I think I had to write a brief statement as to why I was requesting it so I just stared the truth: my card is very worn.

Hilariously the new card looks like it was printed in 1980. Kind of disappointed they haven't improved the tech for social security cards. Seems like they could use a better paper with more security features and better printing than what still looks like a typewriter.

I didn't know any of this, thanks!

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Me, too. But I recently made a my social security account to get accurate reads on my estimated payout at retirement and noticed they offer a free reissuance of your social security card upon request. I think I had to write a brief statement as to why I was requesting it so I just stared the truth: my card is very worn.

Hilariously the new card looks like it was printed in 1980. Kind of disappointed they haven't improved the tech for social security cards. Seems like they could use a better paper with more security features and better printing than what still looks like a typewriter.
Hell, I threw mine away in my 20's. It used to say not to be used for identification on it and I had an excellent memory. Well, I started to get a little nervous about not actually having one (you know those authoritarians and their need for IDs) as I was approaching retirement age, and saw the notice on the SS site, so I got a new one. Never carry it still.

Hail The Brain Slug

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Hell, I threw mine away in my 20's. It used to say not to be used for identification on it and I had an excellent memory. Well, I started to get a little nervous about not actually having one (you know those authoritarians and their need for IDs) as I was approaching retirement age, and saw the notice on the SS site, so I got a new one. Never carry it still.

Mine stays in a locked filing cabinet with other sensitive documents like car titles.

Also, the attached paper that came with my new card outright says "Show your card to your employer when you start a new job", which is the primary use case I can remember.

No idea how you got a job without a social security card. All employers I can remember were willing to begin employment with just my number, but required I brought the card at some point (presumably bending some rules in the process).

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Mine stays in a locked filing cabinet with other sensitive documents like car titles.

Also, the attached paper that came with my new card outright says "Show your card to your employer when you start a new job", which is the primary use case I can remember.

No idea how you got a job without a social security card. All employers I can remember were willing to begin employment with just my number, but required I brought the card at some point (presumably bending some rules in the process).
Well, things change due to paranoid nativists. I didn't have to show a birth certificate for a driver's license until 2000 when I moved to OC, CA. Had my hospital birth cert. But, oh no, that's not good enough, you need one from a municipality. So I had to order a new birth cert from DC where I was born for $20. I could have been an immigrant from a shithole country you know. That's because of Republican paranoia!

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015

Identity theft can come in many different ways and forms. I think it is safe to say that people falsifying to their employers who they are, is not a new scam tactic. By requiring that you bring your SS card with another photo ID, proves that the SS card and the number on the card, belongs to you and you are not trying to impersonate someone else.

• Haha

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Identity theft can come in many different ways and forms. I think it is safe to say that people falsifying to their employers who they are, is not a new scam tactic. By requiring that you bring your SS card with another photo ID, proves that the SS card and the number on the card, belongs to you and you are not trying to impersonate someone else.
LOL, because the fake ID with my picture but fake name says otherwise.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Identity theft can come in many different ways and forms. I think it is safe to say that people falsifying to their employers who they are, is not a new scam tactic.
Don't pretend like you have any clue about tactics or methods of scammers.
You can't even make your own decisions without asking permission from mommy and daddy. It isn't as if you have any independent real life experience, much less "street smarts".

You contemplate notions of security and validity of a Social Security card...

And yet still refuse to cough up the $10-15 for a state-issued photo ID card.

Fucking comedy.

Reactions: hal2kilo and iRONic

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Politically there are a million years between now and 2024.

Let's focus more on not letting the fascist GQP disenfranchise tens of millions of voters by stealing that election.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Don't pretend like you have any clue about tactics or methods of scammers.
You can't even make your own decisions without asking permission from mommy and daddy. It isn't as if you have any independent real life experience, much less "street smarts".

You contemplate notions of security and validity of a Social Security card...

And yet still refuse to cough up the $10-15 for a state-issued photo ID card.

Fucking comedy.

My dad was a victim of identity theft, so I do have experience. He had collection calls for things he had never done, and his credit score was impacted.

• Haha

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
My dad was a victim of identity theft, so I do have experience. He had collection calls for things he had never done, and his credit score was impacted.
You got to sit by and witness the fallout, don't act like that makes you knowledgeable. You obviously are not.

Reactions: iRONic