Oh no... this does not look good for Democrats in terms of 2024 outlook.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 10, 2005
If one is not disabled, then they can drive. Why have an ID that does not allow one to drive, when one is eligible for one that allows them to drive. Even if one does not own a car, they can rent one with a DL.
Why get a DL if you a) don't know how to drive or b) don't need to drive? It's a waste of money if you're never going to do a or b, since it certainly costs more than a non-DL ID.

State-issued IDs are perfectly fine for non-disabled people who just happen to be non-drivers, and have very valid, everyday uses. No need to be an able-ist prick with your DL snobbery.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Cause I rarely was a asked to provide an SSN.

I was never asked when I was in my teens. I memorized it for later on. And I get asked for it all the time now. For example, last week I filled out forms to open a health savings account at a local credit union. I had to put in my SSN. It is a blank to be filled in with many forms you will need to fill out during your lifetime. Best to just commit it to memory now.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
If one is not disabled, then they can drive. Why have an ID that does not allow one to drive, when one is eligible for one that allows them to drive. Even if one does not own a car, they can rent one with a DL.

That's ridiculous. In order to have a driver's license a person must learn the rules, practice with a licensed driver, then pass a driving test in an actual vehicle.

But you have derailed your own stupid thread, so good job, I guess.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
You don't have any of your tax returns? How do you get your taxes done every year?
Isn't there the option to do taxes where the head of the household can put all the names on one form or something... stating all of the incomes of each of the members in the household... don't exactly remember. My dad also uses a tax adviser.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
That's ridiculous. In order to have a driver's license a person must learn the rules, practice with a licensed driver, then pass a driving test in an actual vehicle.

But you have derailed your own stupid thread, so good job, I guess.
One could have another family member in the same household who owns a car (practice with a licensed driver). Even though the thread is derailed, its still related to politics, as in terms of why some people who could register to vote did not register to vote in 2020.

What I was trying to say was that there is nothing that impedes a person who does not have a physical disability from learning how to drive and get a drivers license.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Isn't there the option to do taxes where the head of the household can put all the names on one form or something... stating all of the incomes of each of the members in the household... don't exactly remember. My dad also uses a tax adviser.
Ah, you don't file your taxes because you've never had a job and you're still a dependent, I guess that makes sense.

VW MAN

Jun 27, 2020
@Amol S. Stop being an impotent adult and making excuses as to why you cannot do a thing. I would like a weekly progress report from you stating what you are accomplishing in order to become a competent adult. Start by getting a copy of your birth certificate, SS Card and Sate ID. Remember only failures and losers make excuses!

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
I said NYS ID, not NYS Drivers license. For you, Drivers Licence would be a money grab, and state is would not. For me, a non-pysically disabled it would be the other way around.
It's under $50 for cripes sake! Man the fuck up!

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
2022 comes before 2024, and considering only, mostly only democrats gave people the last stimulus package where republicans voted no, and so it’s hard to believe republicans will be rewarded by the voters Come 2022 let alone 2024. Add to that the republican governors who denied stimulus money to the needy citizens within those republican ran states and many republican governors actually redirected that federal money from helping people to satisfying the governors personal perks. One republican governor redirected that stimulus money to updating the states computer system. Another for purchasing updated software for state computer systems. And still another republican governor used that federal stimulus money meant to help the unemployed, but instead to add more parking ramps downtown. Parking ramps that were owned and operated by the state thus the state profiting off those parking ramps. I can not believe that any voter including republican voters would reward republicans by electing more republicans into the house and senate. Seriously, how insane can voters be to reward republicans who screwed Americans by rejecting the Biden stimulus package, then those same republicans that voted no, they then actually took credit for the help provided by the Biden stimulus package. The same package they voted against. Will the voters remember all of this come 2022 ??? Can voters remember anything?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I dont know, man.
I been voting all my life.
Things just get worse and worse.

Of course, that could be my depression and anxiety.
Sadly, our deepest truth lies in the unconscious, repressed memories of how worthless we were told we are. Sadly , also, even though we believe in those lies, because we won't allow ourselves to feel again the original pain when they were put in our heads, we continue to unconsciously believe them. The only way to know they are lies is to remember, or to have such powerful faith that you are Loved by God you start to believe it. In the mean time you should listen to me. There is nothing wrong with you.

Depression, by the way, while it may have some genetic component and be chemical, I am not sure anybody knows for sure, is often just a state of numbness caused by holding in ones feelings. We fear that if we were to open the door to our inner deepest reality, we would die. That's just because we are emotionally dead already. Everything we fear has already happened so there's nothing to worry about.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Summary of OP: The sky is falling. Again.

Summary of derail: @Amol S. has the mental maturity of a 10 year old, and no independence from his parents. He has plenty of excuses to not get a state ID, though!

:rolleyes:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I think Dems will take 2024 regardless of who they have running. There is simply too vast a divide between republican governance that literally gets hundreds of thousands of Americans killed, and the Dems being in charge where they always seem to be stuck with cleaning up after right wing admins. It's not just the ridiculous culture war behavior of the GQP working against them, turns out politicizing science and common sense will likely prove counterproductive for their 'get out the vote' efforts.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
One could have another family member in the same household who owns a car (practice with a licensed driver). Even though the thread is derailed, its still related to politics, as in terms of why some people who could register to vote did not register to vote in 2020.

What I was trying to say was that there is nothing that impedes a person who does not have a physical disability from learning how to drive and get a drivers license.

Plenty of people _do_ have a disability. And many can't afford to own/run a car. And some of us have moral objections to doing so. One reason why I vote is to vote to put more restrictions on driving.
(how did this thread get onto this topic?)

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I actually have my original ss card still.

Me, too. But I recently made a my social security account to get accurate reads on my estimated payout at retirement and noticed they offer a free reissuance of your social security card upon request. I think I had to write a brief statement as to why I was requesting it so I just stared the truth: my card is very worn.

Hilariously the new card looks like it was printed in 1980. Kind of disappointed they haven't improved the tech for social security cards. Seems like they could use a better paper with more security features and better printing than what still looks like a typewriter.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Hilariously the new card looks like it was printed in 1980. Kind of disappointed they haven't improved the tech for social security cards. Seems like they could use a better paper with more security features and better printing than what still looks like a typewriter.
When I think about how many redesigns of driver's licenses there have been in my state over the past 3 decades (in the name of preventing fraud)...it does seem a bit odd that they haven't made any improvements on Soc. Sec. cards.

I realize that it's only a name and number as opposed to a photo ID, and the number is what can't be (easily) faked if entered into a gov-connected system, but I get what you mean.

Reactions: DarthKyrie