Oh My. Parents vs Teachers. What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
"Parents rights bill" introduced in the Iowa Senate

DES MOINES, Iowa — Parents’ rights relating to their children’s education has been a widely debated topic. A bill outlining what those specific rights would entail has been introduced in the Iowa Senate.

Debated topic?
Only because a few radical homophobic, racist mothers made this into a "debated topic".

The bill lists out several things that would be implemented into law, such as parents being able to know what is being taught to their kids; requiring written permission ahead of time for lessons that contain obscene material; access to information to hold school board members accountable, etc. The bill’s sponsor outlines some misconceptions of the legislation.

Oh... Great...
Now we'll see just how many new teachers this will attract into teaching.
And, how many of the current teachers will remain in teaching.

“What this bill does not do is ban a book. What this bill does not do is vilify a teacher,” Sinclair said. “What this bill does not do is prevent schools from teaching things that are uncomfortable. But what it does do is put a parent in the driver’s seat of what ultimately their child is exposed to in our tax-funded educational system.”

And so.... You have a parent of a gay kid vs the anti-gay homophobic racist religious fundamentalist parent. One opposes the teachers lesson of the day, the other does not. Which parent do you think will win out? And, what further laws and constraints will that anti-gay homophobic racist religious fundamentalist parent deem necessary to impose next? Heinrich Himmler in every class with a whip?

Commentary:
You know.... any parent who wishes to do so can simply "sit-in" on a class, as an observer. So WHY do we need more laws just because of some homophobe anti-gay racist religious fundamentalist parent? Why would that homophobe anti-gay racist religious fundamentalist parent want to run to their state legislature instead of simply sitting-in on a class. Even just one class might be nice.
Who do these anti-gay racist religious fundamentalist parents think are teaching their kids in the first place? Some hairy naked guy wearing a leather jockstrap?
I thought that republicans, and iOwa is a republican controlled state, but I thought republicans were for fewer laws and constraints, not more. And for more freedoms?

I swear, someone has figured out a way to clone Adolf Hitler from his ashes, duplicating the process several times over, then installing as republican governors across the country. And, in republican state legislatures.
We haven't seen this nonsense since Nazi Germany back in 1938, and that WAS only in Nazi Germany.

Parents.... banning books, deciding which books people can and can not read, telling the teacher what they can and can not teach, and parent approval of every subject matter to be taught by a teacher.
And how does THAT work?
Every morning before school each and every parent gathers to "preview" the days lesson? Then, they take a vote?

Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water.
No!
It must be...
Evangelist Jack and Jill went up the hill, thinking only religious thoughts, to fetch a pail of holy water, however only with first having their parents permission. And neither Jack nor Jill had any gay thoughts as they fetched.
And Jack did not fall down and break his crown, Jack knelt to the ground thanking god they were born white and not black. And not born fags.

Last edited:

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Look, if people want to have a good faith discussion about public school curriculum and parent involvement, that's fine.

But my biggest issue with these bills are the mechanisms built into them to allow the state to punish teachers. That's all these are - a way for parents to use the state as a vehicle to go after teachers they don't like. Even worse are the ones requiring surveillance or "tip lines." Unacceptable to me.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Look, if people want to have a good faith discussion about public school curriculum and parent involvement, that's fine.

But my biggest issue with these bills are the mechanisms built into them to allow the state to punish teachers. That's all these are - a way for parents to use the state as a vehicle to go after teachers they don't like. Even worse are the ones requiring surveillance or "tip lines." Unacceptable to me.
Right, so it's not a good faith discussion

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Conservatives drummed up insane conspiracy theories about what was being taught in schools to win elections. Now they need to keep the gravy train going and since they have actual power now the easiest way to do this is through introducing new bills to ban shit.

They're also emboldened by the overly representative Catholic members of the USSC. They consider it a sign that Catholic (Christian) religious doctrine will reign supreme over the land once more and are pushing to make it so, along with the idea that spreading conservative Christian fervor helps the Repubs much more than the Dems.

From an excerpt in Time Magazine: https://time.com/6052051/anti-democratic-threat-christian-nationalism/

"Consider the most infamous articulation of Christian nationalism’s anti-democratic goals from Paul Weyrich, co-founder of the Moral Majority. In an oft-repeated 1980 speech to a group of evangelical leaders, Weyrich explained:
“Now many of our Christians have what I call the goo-goo syndrome―good government. They want everybody to vote. I don’t want everybody to vote. Elections are not won by a majority of people, they never have been from the beginning of our country and they are not now. As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down.”
Even then Weyrich was aware that a democracy with free and open elections threatened the likelihood of white, culturally conservative Christians maintaining privileged access to the levers of power. The takeaway was obvious: make it more difficult for the political opposition―non-conservatives, but implicitly racial and ethnic minorities―to vote."

Reactions: dainthomas

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
They're also emboldened by the overly representative Catholic members of the USSC. They consider it a sign that Catholic (Christian) religious doctrine will reign supreme over the land once more and are pushing to make it so, along with the idea that spreading conservative Christian fervor helps the Repubs much more than the Dems.

From an excerpt in Time Magazine: https://time.com/6052051/anti-democratic-threat-christian-nationalism/

"Consider the most infamous articulation of Christian nationalism’s anti-democratic goals from Paul Weyrich, co-founder of the Moral Majority. In an oft-repeated 1980 speech to a group of evangelical leaders, Weyrich explained:
“Now many of our Christians have what I call the goo-goo syndrome―good government. They want everybody to vote. I don’t want everybody to vote. Elections are not won by a majority of people, they never have been from the beginning of our country and they are not now. As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down.”
Even then Weyrich was aware that a democracy with free and open elections threatened the likelihood of white, culturally conservative Christians maintaining privileged access to the levers of power. The takeaway was obvious: make it more difficult for the political opposition―non-conservatives, but implicitly racial and ethnic minorities―to vote."
It's what Jesus would do

• Haha
Reactions: Lezunto

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
all these bills will do is make it harder for school districts to hire qualified teachers.

who in their right mind would want to work under these conditions.

whoever thought this was a good idea really didn't think things through.

Last edited:

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Glad my future kids will be growing up in Massachusetts. Should have a nice leg up over the unfortunate kids stuck in shitty Iowa school districts that can’t hire qualified teachers.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Glad my future kids will be growing up in Massachusetts. Should have a nice leg up over the unfortunate kids stuck in shitty Iowa school districts that can’t hire qualified teachers.
glad my kids are already grown and I don't have grand kids, yet.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010

In this country Catholics never reigned supreme. In my parent's day Catholics were excluded from jobs in finance and many other places. Boston was famous for Irish need not apply signs. The last lynching of a catholic in South Carolina was recorded in 1948.
The White Anglo Saxon Protestant has always reigned supreme.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Back in the 90s conservative lawmakers convinced their sheep that charter schools would help good white christians take back control over public schooling. They built charter schools everywhere, and then used school choice/vouchers to steal funding from public schools. Well, many of those schools failed and haven't done enough to bring White Jesus back. So now this is the latest grift...err...policy to earn conservative votes.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
all these bills will do is make it harder for school districts to hire qualified teachers.

who in their right mind would want to work under these conditions.

whoever thought this was a good idea really didn't think things through.

You're correct. No one in their right mind would want to work under these conditions. And that is exactly the point. They thought it through completely. Keep the masses ignorant. They are easier to control that way.

Teachers are criminally underpaid and under supported. The sane thing to do is give educators the resources and support they need to groom the next generation. But that would be contributing to society and bringing up free thinkers. Can't have that shit around here.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
In this country Catholics never reigned supreme. In my parent's day Catholics were excluded from jobs in finance and many other places. Boston was famous for Irish need not apply signs. The last lynching of a catholic in South Carolina was recorded in 1948.
The White Anglo Saxon Protestant has always reigned supreme.

Agreed. It's why I added "(Christian)" right after "Catholic" to include all of the Christian denominations. Thanks for pointing that out, apologies for not making that clear in my post.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Because rightwing evangelicals want to turn the USA into a christian state. Taking over the public schools is the first step. Just as taking over school boards, starting in Iowa, was the first step of Jerry Farwell and his "moral majority" in the 1980s.
I didn't like the education system where I lived, so my kids went to private school. They learned to read and write, math, science, and history. They also had a physical education program, and troops of both girl and boy scouts. Parents were welcomed to review any class they liked and I had the owners home phone number.
That was a good school.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I didn't like the education system where I lived, so my kids went to private school. They learned to read and write, math, science, and history. They also had a physical education program, and troops of both girl and boy scouts. Parents were welcomed to review any class they liked and I had the owners home phone number.
That was a good school.
Just curious, what were your kids taught about Columbus? What were you taught about him?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Just curious, what were your kids taught about Columbus? What were you taught about him?
It was fifty five years ago, about all I remember is that he had 3 boats and at that time was credited for discovering America. I was also taught that the Europeans brought along smallpox and VD.
Reality is that it all happened five hundred years ago and doesn't make a shit lick of difference to today.

Reactions: pcgeek11

rmacd02

Nov 24, 2015
It was fifty five years ago, about all I remember is that he had 3 boats and at that time was credited for discovering America. I was also taught that the Europeans brought along smallpox and VD.
Reality is that it all happened five hundred years ago and doesn't make a shit lick of difference to today.
So, by that logic, history should be an elective course.

It's history. Who cares, right.

Good grief!